Jambands.ca

QotD: 2006-06-14: Disliked Band Names

bradm

I agree with most, but I gotta say I think Billy Talent is a cool band name (have you seen Hard Core Logo?).

I agree Todd with Hard Core Logo being a cool movie, but Callum Keith Rennie's name in that movie is spelled Billy Tallent. The fucking hack pseudo punk band doesn't even have the punk balls to keep the name the same. Fucking useless pieces of shit chugging up our airways.

Edited by Guest

I seriously don't mean this in a personal way, but Diesel Dog is a bad band name. I like their music a whole lot but I used to always preface the introduction of this band to newcomers with the phrase "great band, horrible name.." And trying to explain the significance to my parents was challenging.

Good tunes but the name sounds ugly.

Deeps' comment got me thinking: leaving aside a given band's music, which band names do you dislike the most?

For me, it's "Godspeed You! Black Emperor". Apparently it comes from the title to a Japanese movie, which may explain its complete awkwardness, gramatically, but I hate it just the same; maybe it's the way it would be pronounced ("Something IM-portant! [And then something else irrelevant]"), or the way it's easily misspelt (it's tough to accurately position the !), I don't know. I just don't like the name.

I just think it sounds like an album title from The Fall, like "Grotesque : After The Gramme" or "In : Palace Of Swords, Reversed".

I can't believe the thread has gone so long without mentioning Limp Bizkit. Will To Power sucked, too.

... Diesel Dog is a bad band name. I like their music a whole lot but ...Good tunes but the name sounds ugly.

**sorry to edit Bok...

I actually like it! Rather than "ugly", I'd say "dirty" in that great "dirty sense" of hard work, grease and grime and the intoxicating fumes of diesel gas!!

in fact, I'm gonna start a new thread about "intoxicating" smells....