Jambands.ca

Recommend A Documentary Thread

DevO

CJ - You can check out Elgin Street Video Station, Glebe Video and Invisible Cinema for great DVD selections. You should be able to find all these documentaries at those video stores.

Bit Torrent is fun, but renting the videos no only supports the filmmakers, but supports cool, independantly owned video stores (at least if you rent from a shop like the three I mentioned above).

If you like Shockdocs check out

Walmart: The high cost of low prices

Saw it at Bloor Cinema last month. Bought a copy, you can't get it anywhere - for some reason walmart doesn't carry it and their influence stretches far enough that neither to Blockbuster or Rogers. But it was definately interesting. All the things you knew but didn't know.

2 recent docs I've seen:

Tarnation

tarnation.jpg

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tarnation/

-a personal account of one's life growing up in Austin in the 80s, experimenting with drugs, acting, love, and dealing with his dysfunctional mom; truly heartbreaking but vividly captured with his own camera growing up; although he put the doc together himself on his mac on a low budget, it immensely succeeds in creativity and originality! I think Gus Van Sant singed up as executive producer once he saw it so it could get a fair distribution deal. Anyway, you've seen nothing like it and it will definitly leave a lasting impression!

Another State of Mind

379741.gif

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/another_state_of_mind/

for those who love punk rock (particulary the early 80s west coast scene) or DIY aesthetics, Another State of Mind is a crucial document of the period. It follows 2 bands in their infancy, Social Distortion and Youth Brigade, going on their first tour traveling on their renovated school bus from California through Edmonton (!), Montreal (!!), Washington (where they hook up with Minor Threat (!!!); also has footage of Ian Mackaye working at Hagan Das!!!!). Awesome footage of slam dancing/stage diving, and just golden commentary of the time (interviews with punk activists, lead singer of the Circle Jerks, and one fucked up punk from montreal that you'll hope you NEVER run into (if he's still alive).

if you live in Tdot, you can find these titles (and shit load more) at any Queen Video location (if you haven't checked out the new location on college, DO IT!)

Bit Torrent is fun, but renting the videos no only supports the filmmakers, but supports cool, independantly owned video stores (at least if you rent from a shop like the three I mentioned above).

Agreed. I should've maybe mentioned that the only reason I really even got into snagging stuff off bit torrent is cuz I'm living in Korea, where none of this is available at the "video store".

(here comes a digression). Video stores aren't quite the same over here.. A video store consists of 60% graphic novels that you can rent, 25% old VHS movies, and about 15% DVDs. Slim pickins indeed!

Hard to watch, due to the content but so well done.

Born_into_Brothels.jpg

Admist the apparent growing prosperity of India, there is a dark underbelly of poverty of another side of the nation that is little known. This film is a chronicle of filmmakers Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman's efforts to show that world of Calcutta's red light district. To do that, they inspired a special group of children of the prostitutes of the area to photograph the most reluctant subjects of it. As the kids excel in their new found art, the filmmakers struggle to help them have a chance for a better life away from the miserable poverty that threatens to crush their dreams.

Watch movie trailer here.

Wow so many interesting movies!!! I want to see an inconvient truth...Is that good photogeek??

HEre are some I really like!

Life and Debt-About structural adjustment policies in Jamaica..So Eye Opening and shocking

Rebel Music-Bob Marley's life as a policital figure

Dope- ( i think?) History of Marijuana and it's criminalization

Go Futhur-Woody Harrelson as he travels across the US promoting a healthier life!

I want to see some more documentaries too. They are so interesting and a good way to learn about the world.