HORESHOE TAVERN

w/ special guest DJ Skratch Bastid

www.skratchbastid.com

Friday, October 20th, 2006

$12

The Jimmy Swift Band

www.myspace.com/tjsb

jsbchairs.jpg

The Jimmy Swift Band (JSB) have been forging their own path in Canadian Music for the past six years. During this time their energetic and improvisational live show has helped the band develop a cult like following throughout the country. They have performed 200 + shows a year for the past three years - selling out venues and packing dance floors across North America. The JSB sound is so original that critics and fans have come up with a new genre to define it - Rocktronica.

Coming out of Halifax, Nova Scotia, JSB consists of Craig Mercer on guitar, vocals, and effects, Aaron Collier on keyboards and effects, Mike MacDougall on bass, and Nick Wombolt on drums. Each member brings their own strengths to a powerful sound which is greater than the sum of its parts. Their influences range from Daft Punk to Pink Floyd to Guns and Roses, and they meld aspects of these sounds together to create their original Rocktronica.

"I feel like we have captured the energy of our live show on record for the first time", says Mercer. "I was unsure that we could get the feeling of hearing the band live across in a studio setting, but i think we have done it with this album. I am looking forward to getting back on the road and sharing it with our fans."

JSB begin an extensive Canada / US tour in September to support the new album. For updated tour information, check out www.thejimmyswiftband.com.

Skratch Bastid

www.skratchbastid.com

www.myspace.com/skratchbastid

F1000008.JPG

KID BUYS TURNTABLES, LOCKS HIMSELF IN A ROOM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS TO LATER EMERGE AS A WORLD-CLASS HIP-HOP AND BATTLE DJ. OTHER STUFF HAPPENS IN THE MIDDLE.

Edited by Guest

KID BUYS TURNTABLES, LOCKS HIMSELF IN A ROOM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS TO LATER EMERGE AS A WORLD-CLASS HIP-HOP AND BATTLE DJ. OTHER STUFF HAPPENS IN THE MIDDLE.

:D Best media release ever.

Now onto JSB: I have no idea how I am going to manage my 7 day a week work sched(Most of October and all of November) and get in all these upcoming shows. oh boy. years will be subtracted from my life this fall.

points_skratch_bastid.jpg

Skratch Bastid

In only a few short years, Paul Murphy, a.k.a. Skratch Bastid, has skyrocketed from absolute obscurity to finding his name mentioned alongside some of the biggest in turntablism.

Murphy's story is one that has become almost cliché sort of nerdy kid, hip-hop obsessed, decides to save his pennies, maybe mow a few lawns, and take it to the next level and become a dj the figures for turntable sales over the past few years more than attest to this trend. He cuts his teeth pestering local Dj's to teach him how to scratch, but there's something special about this kid, and the "old guys" notice it from day one. In fact, Murphy would return from his sessions with the vets only days later, with any move they taught him not only mastered, but often improved soliciting sighs of "that little Bastid" every time. The name was born, and the rest, as they say, is history.

What separates the Bastid, as he is affectionately known, from the myriad bedroom/backpacker recluses is his remarkable transcendence of geographic limitations. Let's face it, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada isn't exactly international hip-hop headquarters, and yet Bastid has become an established contender on the battle circuit. Not only has he dominated the regional championships of both the DMC and ITF competitions over the past few years, but he has steadily ascended in national and international competition as well. 2001 saw Bastid turn more than a few heads with his impressive second place finish at the international underground turntablism competition, Scribble Jam in Cincinnati resulting in an invitation to join the highly respected "1200 Hobos" crew, consisting of Mr. Dibbs, Dj Signify, Dj Abilities, JEL, Buck 65 and Sixtoo. Not bad for a kid from the `burbs "downeast". 2003 saw Bastid off to Toronto for the DMC Battle for Canadian Supremacy where he placed second; Montreal to compete in the National DMC Championship, where he had a respectable fourth place; and once again to Scribble Jam in August, this time taking first place.

Although a major part of his focus, competition shares time with Skratch's other work as a hugely in demand club Dj. Not one to simply nerd it out on the decks full time, Bastid has earned a solid reputation on the east coast as THE man to book if there's a party that needs a-rockin'. His seamless mixing, mind-blowing scratching and juggling, combined with his arsenal of up-front hip-hop, classic rap, funk and soul kills it every time, earning him prestigious residencies in Halifax and Montreal.

The summer for Skrach has been nuts. The last month saw some great shows in St. John, Charlottetown, Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Golden, Vancouver and Whistler. When not on the road, "rockin' the discotheque" or jockin' discs WKRP style, Bastid can be found sequestered away in the studio, hard at work preparing material for his forthcoming debut full-length album and on Buck 65 next release.

• 2 weeks later...

So, JSB won't be on until midnight; correct?

(I'm confirming this, because that would certainly be a deal-breaker for me. I don't really want to listen to a DJ play albums, and given that I don't drink alcohol, this means hanging around somewhere other than the show until 11:45, waiting for Friday night to start.)