Jambands.ca

The Slip Is Trying To Break My Heart

kung

Brad's voice has good tonal and emotional qualities, and generally sounds cool. But the indisputable fact is he wanders off-key a lot.

Weirdness already summed this up "Sometimes Brad's vocals are on and sometimes they're off and it's pretty much as simple as that." And when they're on, they're great.

Blame the soundman? What, for not running auto-tune or pitch correct?

I pretty much agree with Weirdness & Dave-O on this, especially the "tonal and emotional qualities" comment. Still a good band though.

anyone care to complain about Jerry Garcia or Neil Young's voices?

Not quite sure I understand your comment about Jerry or Neil in respect to this thread, but which decade would you like a "complaint" about their vocals?

Seems to me its complianing when the opinion differs from yours. This is one (not all) of the reasons I am slowly losing interest in the Slip - although, alot is due to my shift in over-all music likes then it is about people trying to correct my opinions & thoughts about a band.

Imagine if I got my back up each time someone commented about Dylan's voice....lol. Although, I guess I could just reply with "Why don't you write an album like 'Blood On The Tracks' " instead of accepting not everyone feels the same about Dylan as I.

Imagine if I got my back up each time someone commented about Dylan's voice....lol. Although, I guess I could just reply with "Why don't you write an album like 'Blood On The Tracks' " instead of accepting not everyone feels the same about Dylan as I.

I think that's what bouche was getting at with his, "YOU learn to sing." observation. :cool:

*dons devil's advocate hat*

Back to the original concern (ie new album+major label = big commericial success), aren't we all jumping the gun by assuming that

a)the album is good

b)the tour with MMJ will be a positive thing\

This could be end but not in the way people think. What happens if this bombs?

Back to the original concern (ie new album+major label = big commericial success), aren't we all jumping the gun by assuming that

a)the album is good

I will blame you for even suggesting the possibility. Anyway, I know what Even Rats and Children of December sound like. I can only hope the rest is great.

a)the album is good

The album is good.

How could a tour with MMJ not be a positive thing?

*takes devil's advocate hat off*

*replaces it with a half good/half dumb looking one*

The album will probably be good. So long as the gods of overproduction don't overdo it or too much of the original Slip magic is lost in the reach for the zeitgeist.

The MMJ tour again will no doubt open up new markets and be a positive experience.

That being said, the curse of the opening band is to have to win fickle and often narrow minded (or at the very least star blinded) audiences. If the majority of folks are not interested/not impressed/not effected enough to say more than "Those guys weren't bad.......WOOOOOOO JIMMY!", crushed dreams and one more gig at the Electric Factory is all the boys have left to look for.

Ask anyone who plays baseball. If you go up and try to hit homeruns all the time, more often than not, you strike out.

To close, Go Slip! I want all the best for this incredible band. Prove this doubting Thomas all wrong.

The album will probably be good. So long as the gods of overproduction don't overdo it or too much of the original Slip magic is lost in the reach for the zeitgeist.

Co-Produced by The SLIP and Matthew Ellard (Elliot Smith, Billy Bragg & Wilco, Morphine) and with additional engineering by good friend and fellow Montre-alien Drew Malamud (Stars, Metric, The Dears)

That seems like to me like you gots nothing to worry about.