Jambands.ca

The Slip Is Trying To Break My Heart

kung

I know many of you know and love the Slip musically and increasingly personally. I haven't had the fortune of seeing them on either level in a while and it's a bit of a hole in my heart. I was walking across downtown Guelph today and caught myself singing Lazilee (Through The Iron Gate) one of their songs that means a very great deal to me. 'I get tossed like a bone to the dogs in the sky'. Their music has become such a lodestone to me, guiding me through moments of crippling self-doubt, loathing and indecision. Buoying me through moments of joy, exhiliration and dignity.

I am just so very happy for them and also sort of exhausted. I have been going blue in the face telling ANYONE (especially musicians) who will listen just how great the Slip is. I guess part of me self-consciously worries they'll forget about their diehard fans that have stuck with them through some difficult times. I guess I'm saying they've stuck with me through some difficult times.

I am just so very happy for them and also sort of exhausted. I have been going blue in the face telling ANYONE (especially musicians) who will listen just how great the Slip is. I guess part of me self-consciously worries they'll forget about their diehard fans that have stuck with them through some difficult times. I guess I'm saying they've stuck with me through some difficult times.

DITTO! The selfish part of me doens't want them to soar, as we may not get to enjoy them in the capacity that we have been at the nice little clubs.

But, it is inevitable. They have the magic.

I want them to get HUGE. Like Franz Ferdinand huge. I want to see Brad climb a Live Rust size monitor and blow away MSG with his axe. I want Marc to thunder Red Rocks. I want them to make so much money they can release albums whenever they want, and have a Live Slip service.

I would willingly sacrifice awesome nights in places like The Main Hall, if it meant that throngs of people in Giants Stadium could swoon to any number of simultaneously heartbreaking and heartmending songs.....

If One of Us Should Fall

Reddish Moon

Cut from the Cloth

Paper Brids

Mmmmmmmm Slip.

Sean

Wait a minute...

The Slip IS trying to break my heart? Better get a new editor pal...

And, as I've said before, Brad is going to have to learn how to sing before The Slip are capable of lighting the world on fire. I'd love to see it happen but at a number of shows it has become apparent why some people just don't get these guys. Sometimes Brad's vocals are on and sometimes they're off and it's pretty much as simple as that. It has been suggested that having better sound and better monitors could help that aspect out. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

Wait a minute...

The Slip IS trying to break my heart? Better get a new editor pal...

And, as I've said before, Brad is going to have to learn how to sing before The Slip are capable of lighting the world on fire. I'd love to see it happen but at a number of shows it has become apparent why some people just don't get these guys. Sometimes Brad's vocals are on and sometimes they're off and it's pretty much as simple as that. It has been suggested that having better sound and better monitors could help that aspect out. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

YOU learn to sing. :P

I find that Brad's got one of the most wonderful voices I've ever heard. Blame the sound guy.

I agree that Brad's vocals are either on or off. These days though, I find they're more on than off.

They have become a much more powerful force. I have been concerned in the past that the tensions of fighting so hard for success would wear them down. Instead they've risen to the challenge. But they're not without the battle scars.

While Brad's vocals have improved, they haven't changed dramatically. Yet the last six months of major breaks have shown that it hasn't really mattered.

I find that the times Brad's vocals sound a bit "off" adds to the sound; it's almost as if he's singing because he has to, to get the emotion and experince across, not because he's trying to create pleasant sounds for people to listen to.

Aloha,

A Brad Who Will Sing If Necessary, But Not Necessarily Sing

One of the only things I remember from Bonnaroo 2003 or 2004 is the first 5 minutes of The Slip's set. Marc was a fucking madman and owned the stage. I was standing right underneath him and there was nothing I could do to understand how he was playing what he was playing.

AD

I feel somewhat privileged to have broken through the hard exterior of one Marc Dimenti Friedman. I have to say that, and many have a similar perception I have found, Marc's playing is even more compelling for it's contrast and concord with his grand personality. He really has an offputting way offstage but is very generous onstage. Some of his struts and poses are hilarious and put even showmen like Andrew Whiteman (king of the cocked leg kick) to shame. Guigsy has many pictures capturing this phenomena.

Well, I have never known Marc off stage and can only speak of how I see him on stage. I sometimes imagine that he is a quiet person, off stage...but then sometimes I imagine him being absolutely hilarious, with punchlines thrown into guts left right & centre. Onstage, he is equally as mysterious. I often wonder what I would say to him if I came face-to-face with him. The obvious kudos wouldn't do it justice (for him or me). I'd probably just say "thanks" and continue enjoying the unknown.

I sometimes imagine that he is a quiet person, off stage...but then sometimes I imagine him being absolutely hilarious, with punchlines thrown into guts left right & centre. Onstage, he is equally as mysterious.

That is one of the most dead on and perfect ways to put him. He has a really edgy, yeah I think edgy is the right word, abiding way about him. Edgy and abiding don't really go together in the same sentence but they do in this one.

I talked to Marc a few times off stage and he has one helluva wit to him. I think he plays with people, and gets a joy out of it.

Unrelated to witty, but moreso to helpful, we ran into him and his DVD filming buddy the morning after the Surprise Me Mr. Davis show in Burlington at the nearby Dunkin Donuts. I was getting a coffee.

He suggested to me to get his favourite order for the ride back to Ottawa. A small coffee with a shot of espresso. Sure enough, I was wired for the next 3.5 hours.

Only time will tell what will happen with these guys. They were as poised to take over the world in 2000/2001 in terms of their prowess as they are now(probably even more so) and when Angels Come On Time came out on Rykodisc you would have thought that their ship had landed at that point. Hopefully they get some people behind them that realize that they're worth $20US and deserve to play in decent venues with seats and good sound. These guys have been sold way short thus far. Time will tell...

There is nothing wrong with Brad's voice and in comparison to a lot of the bands in this nebulous scene it's probably one of the better ones. I just don't get how it's an issue at all.

I'm curious who y'all think are some of the better voices in the "scene".