Jambands.ca

What's your most favourite song?

CyberHippie

I've been thinking a lot about this all day, and in the end if I can go with only one song, it's gotta be Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Karn Evil 9". The first music I ever loved, long before I discovered jam music or folk or blues any of those other things was definitely progressive rock, and this is arguably the greatest piece of progressive rock ever. It's long, it's bombastic, it has humor & pretense, jazzy piano & borderline heavy metal, it's got it all in a nice tight 29 minute and 31 second package. [Wink]

BTW, a lot of you probably know the smaller section of this piece of music technically called "Karn Evil 9 1st Impression - Part 2" - this still gets regular play on rock radio, it's the song that starts "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends…" This is actually about the last 1/3 of the "1st Impression" of Karn Evil, which is divided up into 3 "Impressions", each one quite different from the others. If you've got a half-hour one day with nothing to do, pick up a copy the album Brian Salad Surgery from your local record merchant. You'll either love it or hate it, there's rarely any in between with real prog rock. [smile]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

It's long, it's bombastic, it has humor & pretense, jazzy piano & borderline heavy metal, it's got it all in a nice tight 29 minute and 31 second package.
[Wink]

If you've got a half-hour one day with nothing to do, pick up a copy the album
Brian Salad Surgery
from your local record merchant. You'll either love it or hate it, there's rarely any in between with real prog rock.
[smile]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Well said [big Grin]

I saw ELP years ago, except the P wasn't Palmer. Keith Emerson blew the top off the venue, just standing there with a tiny little keyboard [Eek!]

I'll pick 4'33" by John Cage too, 'cuz it has all the other songs in it (kinda like picking the dictionary as your favourite book).

As for songs that are intended to be played, maybe I'll pick Eleanor Rigby by Sir Paul.

To further illustrate my lack of originality, an honorable mention goes to Cumbia and Jazz Fusion. Oh, and anything I've ever heard by Joni Mitchell. I can't listen to her all the time, but I've never heard a song by Joni that doesn't live up to the highest of standards.

Lots of great tunes everyone!

Lots of tunes that I'm gonna have to check out, that's for sure...

I definetly wanna check out that ELP tune, I've heard the segment they play on the radio, but that's about it. I remember watching the Isle of Wight festival, and there was a segment with ELP with totally rocked. At least I think it was Wight, and I think it was ELP. [big Grin]

Archived