Jambands.ca

"Blind Melon" to regroup with new singer

Hartamophone

From Billboard.com

At first the thought of this really pissed me off, but after reading the article, it seems less of a "greatest hits with a Shannon Hoon replacement" kind of thing and more of the remaining members wanting to play together again. Blind Melon was excellent instrumentally (meaning it was more than just The Shannon Hoon show), so why deny these guys the right to continue something that was cut short?

Thoughts?

Guest Low Roller
At least they didn't have a crappy tv show about it.

I was about to say: I hope that they don't become the next Rockstar band. That would be horrible.

anyone see the Blind Melon dvd? something about a porcupine? I thought it was excellent, wrapped in foil with his baby...

"Letters from a Porcupine." I found a VHS copy a few years ago - completely by fluke - on the floor of a used record shop in Moncton. Great video, for sure, though sad to see all that footage of the late Shannon Hoon shot so shortly before he died.

I'm skeptical...very skeptical...but only because Shannon's voice was incredibly unique and intense. I really hope that this band can be as melting as it once was, but in its' own way.

On a positive note, let's look at Velvet Revolver...how great did that become?

I feel positive about this, and perhaps mostly because it doesn't seem to me that they forced it. It has been more than a decade, so there must be some sort of respect and understanding involved for the band.

Guest Low Roller

Well they played in another band together shortly after Shannon's death (Dave-O always remembers the band name, unlike me), so the return to Blind Melon is mostly a PR move.

Yes, Velvet Revolver does rock.

But look at INXS v.2........

Guest Low Roller

"The Melon"... HA!

Velvet Revolver is great, but then there is Audioslave... an alamgamation of two of the more popular hard rock bands of the 90's- Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden. It should rock, but it doesn't.

Another band that came back recently is Alice in Chains. They have a new singer to replace Layne Stanley (Heroin OD, sound familiar?), who apparently sounds exactly like him.

Good? Bad??

The band was Unified Theory....I have a few mp3s somewhere, I can't remember, if they were good or not....I'll have to give them another listen and I'll let you know

I have their albumn. It didn't do anything for me at the time but it was a long time ago.

Biography by Greg Prato (from allmusic.com)

Comprised of two ex-Blind Melon members, (bassist Brad Smith and guitarist Christopher Thorn), one ex-Pearl Jam member (drummer Dave Krusen), and newcomer Chris Shinn on vocals/guitar, Unified Theory began to take shape in 1998. After a plan to carry on Blind Melon with a new singer and a different name didn't pan out, Smith and Thorn began forming a new band. Thorn came across Shinn after moving to L.A. to scout vocalists, while Krusen proved to be a logical choice since he was already friends with the others. The band was first called Luma (issuing a 4-track CD through their website in 1999), but by the time they signed to the Universal subsidiary 3:33 later in the year, the quartet's name was changed to Unified Theory named after a theory Einstein was working on when he died. The band managed to issue their self-titled debut in August 2000, but unfortunately broke up the following year.