Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

Steve Downie's act leaves him a marked man

by Marty Henwood

I never thought I could hold as much disdain for a hockey player as I do for Sean Avery.

I was wrong.

Steve Downie, you now, officially, carry that torch of biggest jackass in hockey.

You might think Downie would be skating on eggshells for the remainder of his rookie season considering he became a marked man when he launched himself at Dean McAmmond in the pre-season.

Think again.

In front of a national television audience in Canada Saturday, Downie, on an evening he scored his first NHL goal, proved to most of the hockey world, yet again, just how gutless he is with another act of cowardice. This time the victim was Toronto's Jason Blake.

Downie's propensity for violence has got nothing to with the Flyers, who have put together a rather dubious rap sheet so far this season. It goes back a lot further than his NHL days, which so far amounts to the pre-season and four regular-season games.

Play the game with some balls, rookie. Show a little respect. If you're going to hit someone, at least be facing him.

It's what men do.

Never mind waiting until the linesmen jump between you and your opponent - in this case Blake, a pacifist if ever there was one - before showing your "toughness" with an unexpected poke in the eye. Do it face-to-face or, in Downie's case, shield to shield.

Downie may as well draw a large red ‘X' on his back. He is officially a marked man and players, in case you haven't noticed, tend to have long memories.

Rookies, particularly those with a history like Downie's, should not be stampeding into the league, picking their spots and then scurrying back into their hole.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game with an edge.

But by taking liberties with opponents, as he has done twice since September, Downie is making a name for himself with his NHL brethren. Terms of endearment, they are not.

One thing is a sure bet. It's just a matter of time before Downie gets what is coming to him.

Namely, a healthy dose of right hands.

Count me among the many hoping that day is sooner rather than later.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup ... i chuckled this morning when I heard the news. When I went to bed, I checked online and was 2-0 in the third. Where'd the other goals come from?

Another one on LeafsTV tonight. Go Kings Go :P

TONS of talk on the radio the past couple of days on how it's time to try and get something for Sundin. It's amazing how he can still have a good season surrounded by shit.

I still want to find a paper bag company, get them to donate a skid of product, and hand them out down at the ACC before the games. Imagine a sea of fans with paper bags on their heads ... it would definitely get some coverage :D

Peter Hells from Oakville, Canada writes:

Where are the Laff fans who laffed at Ottawa in last years finals?

Ottawa was banged up, tired after playing 82 games and winning 3 playoff rounds... and playing a better Ducks team with a Teemu Selanne and Penner on top of it.

Where are you Laff fans now?

Never mind waiting until the linesmen jump between you and your opponent - in this case Blake, a pacifist if ever there was one - before showing your "toughness" with an unexpected poke in the eye. Do it face-to-face or, in Downie's case, shield to shield.

What the?!

Peter Hells from Oakville, Canada writes:

Where are the Laff fans who laffed at Ottawa in last years finals?

Ottawa was banged up, tired after playing 82 games and winning 3 playoff rounds... and playing a better Ducks team with a Teemu Selanne and Penner on top of it.

Where are you Laff fans now?

This is very weak AD, very weak. You don't have anything better than this. For a guy who hates the Leafs, you sure do spend a lot of energy on them.

I didn't write that, dude. I do agree with it though.

I have lots better than that, but you're right, I wouldn't want to waste my time with it and the Leafs. Perhaps you should direct your energy toward Peter Hells, the writer of what you object to.

Glad I could make you laugh though! :)

LOL

I just checked NHL.COM for some midnight comedy. Noticed that the Leafs allowed a 4 goal 1st period. Wow, what a comeback from a shutout the night before.

ELEVEN UNANSWERED GOALS over the last 6 periods!?

Damn ... Sundin is getting cheaper as a bargaining chip and JFJ should be packing right NOW.

It needs to start higher up than Sundin being traded, and firing the coach and general manager. How about firing the people that were responsible for these hirings? They obviously are not sound hockey people. The problem won't be fixed until Peddie and Tanenbaum are gone.

HA!

My LeafsTV Curse worked again ... :D

Everybody who has LeafsTV (whether it's bundled in, or subscribed) should be demanding to have it removed.

Next home game had better have a lot of BOOOOOs pouring down from the stands. These guys don't deserve much respect at ANY of the levels ... management, coaching and players. They've given up. Pathetic.

It needs to start higher up than Sundin being traded, and firing the coach and general manager. How about firing the people that were responsible for these hirings? They obviously are not sound hockey people. The problem won't be fixed until Peddie and Tanenbaum are gone.

I completely agree but Peddie makes too much money for MLSE to go anywhere.

I caught the last bit of Glen Healy on OTR last night and he was saying Mats would waive his no trade clause only because he would feel that the team is turning their back on him. Whats the deal with that? Wouldnt Mats gladly accept a trade to a contender then come back next year with the new faces? I dont see why trading him would be an issue at all.

I heard Healy on the Fan this morning. You gotta take what he says with a grain of salt these days. He sounded like a slick politician trying to bring down an incumbent. He's gunning for JFJ's job and was laying heaps of blame on him, while essentially kissing ass and saying it wasn't ownerships fault :P