Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

It needs to start higher up than Sundin being traded' date=' and firing the coach and general manager. How about firing the people that were responsible for these hirings? They obviously are not sound hockey people. The problem won't be fixed until Peddie and Tanenbaum are gone. [/quote']

I completely agree but Peddie makes too much money for MLSE to go anywhere.

Yes, and I agree with you, but the hockey operations are crumbling and have been for awhile. He has made MLSE a ton of cash, but a competitive team would be making even more money for the shareholders. All I know is that something needs to be done.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs to start higher up than Sundin being traded' date=' and firing the coach and general manager. How about firing the people that were responsible for these hirings? They obviously are not sound hockey people. The problem won't be fixed until Peddie and Tanenbaum are gone. [/quote']

I completely agree but Peddie makes too much money for MLSE to go anywhere.

Yes, and I agree with you, but the hockey operations are crumbling and have been for awhile. He has made MLSE a ton of cash, but a competitive team would be making even more money for the shareholders. All I know is that something needs to be done.

The hockey operations have been crumbling for quite awhile. At least the on ice product has been. However the Leafs are bullett proof. Whether they are 1st or 30th in the league they sell out and their merchandise is near the top of the league. They are the most profitable team in the NHL and the franchise is valued at 330 Mil. They are so intertwined with MLSE that to say Peddie can be removed without hurting the value would be a grave mistake. Plus the shareholders know he has had a large influence on the growth.

The Leafs were bought in 1994 for 90 Mil and 2003 for 234 Mil. A great return so far.

That being said it may help the on ice product if Peddie and others were instructed by the board to quit meddling and hire a GM who completley runs the show. Just like the Raptors.

I guess we need to wait and see what happens.

Edited by Guest

Full Panic Mode - Pogge to the Rescue

LOS ANGELES-With the club having all but quit on head coach Paul Maurice after two one-sided losses in California, the Maple Leafs are in full panic mode today.

As first reported by The Star, the Leafs summoned blue-chip goaltending prospect Justin Pogge from the minors after last night's appalling 5-2 loss to Los Angeles, possibly setting Pogge up to start tomorrow night in San Jose. No. 1 netminder Vesa Toskala has suffered a relapse in his ongoing battle with groin problems after being recklessly forced into action for the final two periods of the embarrassing loss to the Kings.

The Leafs have also claimed Domenic Moore, brother of Steve Moore, on waivers from Minnesota. Moore is an energetic checker who could add some pizzazz to the team's fourth line.

Meanwhile, confusion reigned this morning in the Leaf camp. Practice was cancelled, which was a surprise to some of the most senior members of the team, including captain Mats Sundin.

There is growing speculation head coach Paul Maurice could be in jeopardy after desultory way in which the club responded to a critical game against the Kings, as well as the manner in which Toskala was rushed back into service last night after the Leafs were already down 4-0.

Toskala was expecting to have the night off, but played after former starter Andrew Raycroft surrendered four goals on 11 shots in the first period against the Kings.

If that happens, it will be a difficult task indeed for Pogge, with all evidence suggesting the club is no longer responding to the direction of Maurice after 10 losses in the past 12 games. All political antennae are on high, and even the Leaf players are aware team president Richard Peddie is hovering over the club in what is turning out to be a disastrous California road trip.

A smarter decision would be to bring back veteran Scott Clemmensen, who left the club on Thursday and returned to the Marlies. But with the entire hockey organization expecting major changes because of the dreadful results of late, recalling Pogge is likely to make a bigger splash, perhaps the last ditch effort of the Ferguson regime to put the club into a playoff position.

The Leafs were nightmarishly bad Thursday night, managing only seven shots on the L.A. net in the opening 27 minutes of action as the Kings cruised to a 5-0 lead. It was only after the game was decided that the Leafs got busy, putting 43 shots on Jason Labarbara in the Kings net after the game was already decided.

Maurice denied that his team has quit on him.

"If they'd quit you'd have seen three periods like the first period," said the Leaf coach.

Truth was, the lazy, disinterested manner in which the Leafs played the opening 27 minutes was much more reflective of their attitude towards their coach than the final half of the game.

"Trust me, we're under a lot of pressure," said centre Matt Stajan. "We know what's going on."

On the drive home, The Team was reporting an emergency board meeting has been called (more like they moved the scheduled meeting up a week) and the thinking is that JFJ is about to be let go.

Considering they offered Scottie 'Bling Bling' Bowman a job but he wouldnt take it because he wasnt going to be given full control as a GM, one has to wonder if the over-all mentality of the Leafs upper management is about to change.

Guest Low Roller

I wonder if JFJ still thinks that those first round draft picks for Raycroft and Toskala were worth it... It looks like Pogge and Clemmenson might be minding the Leafs' net with Toskala injured and the potential waiving of Raycroft.

Guest Low Roller

There is no choice but to rebuild through the draft now. Trade Sundin for prospects and hope to God that he re-signs with the Leafs the following year.

Heard Scotty Bowman is interested in taking over the team. Apparently he has offered his services but wants it to be a "Colangelo" like situation and nothing else. How freakin cool would that be?

I think the Leafs may have alreayd blown that deal...

If the Toronto Maple Leafs are planning a front office shakeup, it won't involve Scotty Bowman.

The Hall of Fame coach reiterated to the Detroit Free Press on Sunday that he has no plans to leave the Red Wings, the team he has worked for since 1993-94.

"My commitment is with Detroit," he told the Free Press.

Bowman told Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday that he was interviewed by the Leafs for an executive job last summer, only to be turned away by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO Richard Peddie with three weeks until the start of the season.

Bowman, who won a combined nine Stanley Cups as coach of the Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings, told MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum that he would come on board with the proviso that he had full control over the team's hockey operations. The 74-year-old has been a consultant for Wings general manager Ken Holland since retiring as coach following the 2001-02 season.

Bowman added that he did not see anything developing with the Leafs' front office at this point.

"I don't think they're going to do anything at all," he told the Free Press. "There's nothing anybody can do there now, anyways. The season is past the halfway point. I haven't talked to them since the beginning of August."

Ohhh...okay, see, I just heard the sound clip on the Fan on Sunday, didnt realize he was talking about what had already transpired (was more hungover than alls y'all - open bar wedding the night before)...good move then for the Leafs, I mean, why hire one guy who has more rings than the entire organization?

Then why was it so easy to do the Raptors switch?

I think it stems from the fact that there are too many people in the Leafs organization that want credit for bringing the cup to Toronto.

Basketball isn't nearly as big a deal in Canada as hockey. The individual who would bring the cup to Toronto would be a God in Canada.

MLSE has their own blue print for success in the Raptors. Hire a big name or at least a competant GM and give him full control. Then tell Peddie and all other management to leave him alone. No meddling, he would have 100% control over hockey operations... drafting, signing players, hiring and firing.

All the board (Peddie) needs to worry about is the budget they lay out for the team.

It really is that simple. Hire a hockey mind to run the team and let Peddie and the others worry about marketing and profit shares.

Then why was it so easy to do the Raptors switch?

I think it stems from the fact that there are too many people in the Leafs organization that want credit for bringing the cup to Toronto.

Thats more along the lines of what i was getting at. There's something there that is impeding progress and its not due to any good reason.