Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(minus the small problem that he is still contracted to the Coyotes.)

Not actually true. He's still being paid as part of his buy-out, but he's not under contract with the Coyotes. He's free to take a new job but the buy-out pay would stop.

I agree but then he traded away what was left in the cupboard.

Which he did to save his own ass and it worked. You cant really blame him for that.

Anyways, here is a comment from Sundin that gives a tiny hint that he might be willing to move on. Unless I am completely misreading this. You tell me.

"If they come and ask? I don't want to go anywhere. That's my response to start. And then ... I mean, we'll see what happens."

This is all freaking embarrassing... especially with all these habs fans in here sqwuaking off...

Get rid of JFJ already, move on from all the disrupting bullshit that takes away from the players focusing on hockey and play.

Gawd I hope this shit is done by Saturday when i finally get to go and see a game... at least its against Buffalo... a team that hasnt been on too much of a role lately either.

I agree but then he traded away what was left in the cupboard.

Which he did to save his own ass and it worked. You cant really blame him for that.

He did it immediatly after he said he would build through the draft and free agency. The guy is a bum and would have been fired from any other team within a couple of years. The only reason he is still there is because the powers at be are even a bigger mess than him.

AHhahahah...closet Leaf fans are the worst kind.

Dont kid yourself. I have never loved the Leafs more than I do this year.

He did it immediatly after he said he would build through the draft and free agency.

Which sums up my point. His hand was played for him. He's never been in control and did what he had to do to keep his job.

"Yes sir"

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS REVISED 2008 SCHEDULE

January

15 vs. Bloomington Jr. High School Girls

22 vs. Cub Scout Troop #101

29 vs. CNIB Senior Team

February

5 vs. Spanish-American War Vets

12 vs. Crippled Children's Hospital

19 vs. St. Cloud Home for Wayward Girls

26 vs. Girl Scout Troop #69

March

5 vs. Ontario VD Clinic Post #3

12 vs. Church Street Boy's Choir

19 vs. Korean War Amputees

26 vs. VA Hospital Polio Patients

Special Monday Night Game:

March 3 vs. Utopia Gay Boys

Name Change:

The Toronto Maple Leafs will be changed to the Toronto Tampons' as they are only good for one period, and they don't have a second string.

Coaching Change:

Paul Maurice will be replaced by Pamela Anderson. No doubt she will blow a few, but she won't choke on the big one.

Rule Changes:

1. When playing the Girl Scouts, the Leafs must not eat their cookies.

2. The Leafs will be allowed to substitute with band members at any time during the game.

3. When playing the Polio Patients, the Leafs must not disconnect any of the leg braces.

4. There will be no more dancing with opposing teams, like the last time they played the Utopia Gay Boys.

5. The Leafs MUST PROMISE to remember that when the referee drops the puck, this signals the beginning of play. This is to ensure that no more time will be wasted while the Leafs try to figure out what just happened.

6. The Leafs must also stop tangling the crippled children in the net mesh.

New fan cheer:

'GOLF LEAFS GOLF'

And while on the topic of the Leafs....

What does Toronto have that Montreal doesn't?

Black and white photographs of their last Stanley Cup.

What do the Leafs and The Titanic have in common?

They both look good until they hit the ice.

Why don't the Maple Leafs drink tea?

Because the Canadiens have all the cups.

What's the difference between the Leafs and a cigarette machine?

The cigarette machine has PLAYERS.

And let's face it, his mandate has been more or less to "make the playoffs or get fired". So he's being told to shoot for 8th place by any means necessary. As Booche already said, who can blame the guy for trying to save his own ass?

Bob McKenzie's blog. Dave-O, can you comment on the part I bolded? It seems to contradict what you wrote, unless there are details missing from this post or yours...

The Cliff Fletcher situation with the Toronto Maple Leafs should sort itself out in 24 hours, if not sooner.

That's because Fletcher is scheduled to leave for a Mexican vacation on Wednesday.

If he gets on the plane from his home in Phoenix to the Mayan Riviera tomorrow, you would have to think the chances of him being interim GM of the Maple Leafs are virtually non-existent.

I mean, it goes without saying there's a bit of a time crunch going on here. The NHL trade deadline is six weeks today. The Leafs have in place a general manager – John Ferguson Jr. – who must be wondering right now how he ended up in these concentric circles of hell as he reads and hears about his boss Richard Peddie calling around in search of his replacement.

Every day that passes without some indication from the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment brass that they have a plan and are acting on it is a stain on the franchise.

Let's try not to get too caught up in semantics and what has or hasn't been offered to Fletcher.

Sources say there is a currently a dialogue going on between Fletcher and Peddie and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Peddie calls Fletcher to see if he has any interest in being interim GM until July 1. That happened yesterday.

Fletcher tells Peddie, under the right circumstances, he has interest but much of that is predicated on what any offer would entail. That, it would seem, has happened today.

Fletcher is still technically under contract to the Phoenix Coyotes for the balance of this season and all of next season so he's not about to throw that payoff away to work for less than six months to help the Leafs bridge the gap between the departure of Ferguson and the hiring a fulltime GM. It goes without saying that Fletcher needs some sort of financial commitment from the Leafs that goes on beyond July 1.

So if we are reading the tea leaves correctly on this one, Peddie and MLSE know right now precisely what it will take to lure Fletcher out of semi-retirement and all Peddie has to do is decide if he wants to make it happen or not. If he does, he picks up the phone, tells Fletcher to cancel the trip to the Mayan Riviera and get himself to Toronto ASAP. Peddie can call a news conference tomorrow or Thursday to announce Ferguson has been let go and introduce Fletcher as the interim GM.

If Peddie doesn't like the terms and conditions it would take for Fletcher to commit to the Leafs, he either sits tight on Ferguson for the balance of this season or picks up the phone and calls the next guy – Neil Smith? Doug Armstrong? – on his interim GM's list and sees if he can convince one of them or someone else to parachute in for a six-month mission of mercy.

In any case, the Fletcher scenario gets resolved before Fletcher is scheduled to jet off to Cancun on Wednesday. One way or another, you have to figure Fletcher is getting on a plane to somewhere tomorrow.

Looks like the next move belongs to Peddie and it's hard to imagine we'll have to wait very long for it.

At least that is the logical version of how this should play out, but then logic and MLSE often make strange bedfellows.

Stay tuned.

he's not under contract with the Coyotes
Fletcher is still technically under contract to the Phoenix Coyotes for the balance of this season and all of next season

i guess the 'technically' is important in this case? is it just semantics then?

It's the terms of the buy-out - if he gets a new job, he doesn't get the remainder of his owed pay. Does that put him 'technically' still under contract? I guess you could call it that. Sort of like how "buy-out" is polite for "fired".