Jambands.ca

Do I deserve the flak I'm getting for this???

shainhouse

So if I really like what I percieve to be jam music and find a site that is obviously devoted to "jam" music I cant be put off by an article about something that has nothing to do with it? Cant I find a review of PAnic at the disco somewhere else where its more relevant?

Im all about listening to and liking different types of music, but I do also appreciate genre specific web-sites for the simple reason that I know what Im going to get.

Mayhaps a better sports analogy would be if, say, you worked for the Habs website, but decided to write an article about the chicago bulls. Would you not expect some sort of negative reaction?

The article was well written and interesting though.

Guest Low Roller

Here are some clips of Panic! At The Disco. Judge for yourself whether:

A) Shain is crazy for liking these guys

B) Whether it was appropriate content for Jambase knowing the demographic that frequents the site

I Write Sins Not Tragedies

The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage

hmmm...it's interesting, not my cup of tea though. As for if someone SHOULD like it, sure...if it's appropriate for jambands, I'm not sure...there have been bands that have been heavier, in the 'scene' also there have been bands who sing about dildo's non stop at come together festivals... it's just all in an individuals taste in music, maybe one person can appreciate the sound of it and find it to be fitting in the scene of jam tunes, maybe another wouldn't...it's really about personal taste in music...and jambands is partially about sharing the music you love...I guess it's in the ear of the beholder really

hey shain...sorry i didn't get back to you last night on this...i read the article and the reviews...and i think what people are so upset about and haven't really articulated very well is that good music is good music and that's fine and all but in their opinion there are TONS of good bands who sound MUCH better than PATD that fit into that jammy thing a bit more than PATD who don't get any coverage, and that if you're looking to diversify interests that maybe you should fully explore your home teritory of jamland before you go scouting for more. maybe picking a band that hasn't received tons of mainstream media coverage that fits in a genre we all look at and shudder as we remember the goths of the past, and could actually use a write up to promote their music might be a better crowd pleaser.

if that's what you're looking for tho. personally, i don't see the difference in skipping the ben harper review you're not interested in vs the PATD review you're not interested in.

Guest Low Roller

I hope I didn't misrepresent PATD with those two YouTube clips. I am not familiar with their music at all despite hearing their name everywhere.

The clips did nothing for me.

Um.... Can we stop talking about this "Panic at the Disco" band on this website? This is a "jambands" website and I'm pretty sure that "Panic at the Disco" is not a Jamband. I've never actually listened to them, because I hear that they're not a jamband so therefore I probably never will.

thanks.

Hey Shain,

I read through the comments about your PATD article and yes, some of them are a bit much, but I think that many of the comments do reflect valid points from the site's readers. You state in your opening post that "We're trying to diversify ..." which is fair enough, but it's also fair if people who currently visit the site are concerned about the diversification and the direction the site is headed in. You can't be all things to all people, so any changes in strategy will likely upset some people. That's just the way it is. I guess the folks at jambase will have to decide if the change in approach is worth it. Having said that, there's nothing like a little controversy to get people commenting and interested in something. ;):)

Peace, Mark

We can't give 100% of one thing, all the time. The next article that we ran was a UMelt article, for example, which should pacify. Yes, there are plenty of bands that 'deserve' coverage and I'm never going to be able to cover all of them. It is simply impossible. I was supposed to review a PATD show in February in Buffalo but missed it, and wanted to do one anyways.

Thanks for the interesting discourse.. Other than a few 'PATD is not a jamband so fuck em posts' which I see present nothing new or articulate to a rebuttal against me, as I see the nature of a jamband as being dead, this has been super interesting.

Marco, I love ya.