Jambands.ca

Do I deserve the flak I'm getting for this???

shainhouse

I reviewed Panic! at the Disco for JamBase. We're trying to diversify and I think they are a damn fine band, despite their 'mainstream' affiliation. Please, with an open mind, read the review and lemme know your thoughts, because the comments below are quite [color:purple]fantastic.

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9373

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I think the word you're looking for is 'flak' because you're definitely not getting any 'slack'.

I think the hippies reacted so violently because they see Jambase as the last vestige of their fading hippie culture, and they felt threatened by a indie rock band getting some coverage.

Too much, too soon me thinks. If you're going to go the route of indie rock, you need to spotlight a band that does not have the mainstream connection yet. I remember you mentioning I'm From Barcelona. Why not do a review on them?

We are trying to do both. There is a whole bunch of stuff in the pipelines right now, both 'indie' and 'jamband.' My job is to diversify international coverage, and I'm trying to do that by covering both North American band in Europe and European band in a local setting. To me, good music is good music, so throwing in a review about a band that doesn't fit the bill peresay, but I believe deserves the coverage seemed fine; I knew this shitstorm would happen, but atleast, or I hope, that I am making people think. Check for an iLiKETRAiNS feature soon, a band people should hear about but hasn't yet. I like Barcelona is similar, but we only have so much room.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I understand change and expansion, but don't make the mistake of pissing off your core audience.

I agree with you that good music is good music, but a lot of people are vehemently anti-mainstream no matter how 'open and groooovy' they pretend to be. Just like some people won't listen to jambands because they don't get MTV coverage, so there is a group that refuses to listen to anything MTV.

Regardless of what is being said it's a good article Shain.

both songs critical of the scene the band represents

I don't think that those so quick to jump down your throat actually read the article....

unfortunate but whatever - do you deserve it no, should it bother you - no.

And you answered your own question - here in your above post

We are trying to do both. There is a whole bunch of stuff in the pipelines right now, both 'indie' and 'jamband.' My job is to diversify international coverage, and I'm trying to do that by covering both North American band in Europe and European band in a local setting. To me, good music is good music, so throwing in a review about a band that doesn't fit the bill peresay, but I believe deserves the coverage seemed fine; I knew this shitstorm would happen, but atleast, or I hope, that I am making people think. Check for an iLiKETRAiNS feature soon, a band people should hear about but hasn't yet. I like Barcelona is similar, but we only have so much room.

you felt it deserved coverage...

Edited by Guest

You certainly don't deserve the flak Shain. It was a well written review.

However the problem (as I see it) is that Panic! at the disco cannot even be remotely construed as a jamband. They are not even in the singer songwriter /folk/country bracket that jamband fans accept.

No they are EMO rock of the mainstream ilk. So I think what you are hearing is that many int he scenen feel the EMO/indie rock thing is being force fed to them by the inclusion of these non-improvising bands in festivals and publications. Last years Bonnaroo (while great) really solidified this by having Radiohead headline and Death Cabfor Cutie on the bill. Fine bands for sure, but I see no connection to the scene.

I think this is the problem, that some see. I don't think the fact that it's new that is the problem, it's the fact that it's new, mainstream and not improvised at all.

Here's the question once again... what the fuck is a scene? why should there be one? why are people so ridiculously ignorant and close-minded? Again, good music IS good music, regardless... and I don't think I'm pissing of my core audience by throwing them a curveball every now and again. We just did a big feature on both Trey and Grisman, for example.

The comments are funny though. Why does intellect just get thrown out like a cob of corn sans kernals when people read, or just comment on the sheer aesthetic of something they disprove of? I feel almost elitist bringing this up, as I don't mean to be, but its frustrating to put a half-decent amount of work into something that is dismissed just for the sake of its context, rather than content. I feel like Dennis Kucinch.

Shain, it was a good article. I can understand why the average reader of Jambase may be confused, disinterested, or even to some extent, hurt, but consider the amount of jackasses looking for someone to "fuck up" so they can jump down their throats to make themselves feel better. Could have been an article on anything outside of the narrow perameters provided by writing for a speciality site, right?

I guess my point is (and by the way, something I deal with in my vocation everyday) don't take it personally. You are who are you are and if you're the kind of writer I want to read, your next article will be balanced intelligent piece on why the Jam scene panics *get it* at the sight of new horizons.

PS I'm not that fond of Panic at the Disco, but some of my students think it's pretty fun.

That band is fucking awful!!! Emo crap rock.

I love ya Shain but that article you wrote for the View on the Truckers last month was TERRIBLE. The Panic at the Disco article is better so, no. You should take my flack for the Truckers article and get started on a review of the new Gwen Stefani video for Jambase.

ugh. music is music is music is music. I applaud the major festies like the 'Roo and the online journals for not limiting themselves. Things change and develop and the last thing that the likes of jambase should do is wind up like the 60's era Broadside Magazine - endlessly debating about what is or isn't folk music, lashing out at the changes going on around them, and totally losing their currency as a result.

Shain, keep following your tastes and keep improving your craft and you won't be writing for jambase forever! Fuckin' hippies.

I look at it like this, cuz well, Im Hal Johnson for fucksakes: It's like sports. They're all different but people tend to pick out and stick to certain ones. In Canada were all about the hockey, in the states its essentially football. By going to a hockey website and talking about football, you will no doubt endure some flak. Granted, there will be people there who like football as well, but for the most part, they will say slag off.

Maybe even more so, its like writing a piece on field hockey in an ice hockey mag. A good sport in its own right, but those who like ice hockey really couldnt give a shit about a version played on grass were everyone shoots the same way.

Really, you shouldnt be surprised at all by the flak. You are afterall working for a site with the word "Jam" in it.

Edited by Guest

I really didn't see it as you getting much flak, Shain. No one really said anything about the review itself.. maybe they did.. .I don't know. I think someone said it was good or something.

People have a problem with a show from a band they can't stand and that doesn't belong on Jambase being reviewed on jambase. It isn't that difficult a concept, as far as I can see. Why not write a review of that particular show and post it ... oh, I don't know anywhwere else on the internet?

I understand your whole good music is good music but I really don't expect a review of the latest performance of the Detroit Symphany Orchestra to wind up on deathmetalbase.com.

I haven't heard this band but would like to check out that tonight, tonight they did.

GOod review, Shain. You certainly are getting old, aren't you! :D

I'm just trying to proliferate the transparency of the scene, or the lack of. Panic! at the Disco is a talented band, and once again acclaim has been cast over a band as an excuse not to like them. The 'Just because everyone else likes them, I won't' angle is being played, like it does against Dave Matthews.

I believe PATD is crafting something unique within a community of music that lacks uniqueness, originality and all those 'theories' that permeate our so-called scene.

What if the Detroit Symphony Orchestra covered Metallica, or what about Apocalyptica? Music is too transparent to be categorized nowadays, in my opinion, and I wanted to make some sort of statement. I love the idiocy that has stemmed from the comments on JamBase. Atleast here we can engage in intelligent discourse, minus Lazlo, c-towns, newrider and dima of course ;)

gears.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? This talk about the ‘scene’. It’s an imaginary concept by stoned hippies who thought they were being creative, yet all the while evolution was working against them, sort of de-evolution. Or involution. Or invalid. Yeah, invalids. The lot of them. Monkeys create groups as well because they have a strong need to feel included, or a part of something. At least they don’t think they are some kind of counter-culture, growing dready knots and leaving their pubic area to resemble a 10,000-year-old rainforest. Did you know that hippies or are you too busy hockin' nitrous ballons and crystals while trying to save the environment? And that is what grinds my gears.

some of the time there are people who don't like certain music, they feel that there opinion if music is the absolute end all to it all. Harboring interests into one particular style, of music shows lack of taste or appreciation for others interests...it spreads intolerance and teaches others to be selective. having an objective opinion shows thought went into what is being said, that you are one of the advanced humans on planet Earth..having opinions that revolve solely around yourself kind of shows the world you don't really think outside the box...Your article shows that you do think outside the box, very good job!

The responses Shain's article received on jambase are revealing, and not in a good way.

Point and laugh with me at the precious little crybabies whining about their little 'scene"! Drawing lines in the sand: "this I like, this I do not".

"This crosses the line". What line? The one they invented in their heads to define themselves to themselves and their friends? They can't even review a review properly. Right now, Shain's article is averaging a 1.5 star rating. It is a well written and coherent article, it's just the subject matter these sterilized vermin can't accept but they can't even tell the difference. Presumably, a poorly written article about "The All-American Good Time Happy Happy Groove Band" is preferable to a well-written article about something of less interest to them. That's fine if you're running a blog, but doesn't jambase aim a little higher?

The brahphesy IS being fulfilled and the Great Brah In the Sky is not at all happy with his minions. He is putting Radiohead top of the bill at Bonnaroo and foisting the "emo-crap" of Death Cab For Cutie on the Custies for good reason. It is his delicious retribution for letting the bar slip when he wasn't looking.

Fear the Great Brah! He is righteous but vengeful! Go forth and spread his good word, Shain!

The responses Shain's article received on jambase are revealing, and not in a good way.

Point and laugh with me at the precious little crybabies whining about their little 'scene"! Drawing lines in the sand: "this I like, this I do not".

"This crosses the line". What line? The one they invented in their heads to define themselves to themselves and their friends? They can't even review a review properly. Right now, Shain's article is averaging a 1.5 star rating. It is a well written and coherent article, it's just the subject matter these sterilized vermin can't accept but they can't even tell the difference. Presumably, a poorly written article about "The All-American Good Time Happy Happy Groove Band" is preferable to a well-written article about something of less interest to them. That's fine if you're running a blog, but doesn't jambase aim a little higher?

The brahphesy IS being fulfilled and the Great Brah In the Sky is not at all happy with his minions. He is putting Radiohead top of the bill at Bonnaroo and foisting the "emo-crap" of Death Cab For Cutie on the Custies for good reason. It is his delicious retribution for letting the bar slip when he wasn't looking.

Fear the Great Brah! He is righteous but vengeful! Go forth and spread his good word, Shain!

I want to do a romance inside of you for this post, and booche's no slouch either.