Jambands.ca

Someone please let us (WTTS) have it.

Deeps

Our album's been out a while .... some of you have it .... some have even said you've enjoyed it.

I am bored and neurotic, and want to hear where you see untapped potential, suckery, missing elements, genius, immaturity, progress with regard to the last one. What you think of the artwork, my hair cut, pants etc.

I know what I'd change, I want to know what you would and\or wouldn't.

Any writers who don't have the album, I will sell it to you for $10....PM me your address.

I am bored and neurotic, and want to hear where you see untapped potential, suckery, missing elements, genius, immaturity, progress with regard to the last one. What you think of the artwork, my hair cut, pants etc.

I wish there were more songs with lyrics.

I wish I liked the artwork and album title. Not eye-catching and not reflective of what's inside the package. Don't be afraid to grab people's attention.

More singing is on the WTTS agenda that's for sure.

The colour of the album did not come out as we wanted it to unfortunately.

As for the title .... [color:purple]fah-q.

How'd you feel about the lyrics that were there?

Edited by Guest

The sound is good but for better or for worse I peg it as very jambandesque. I mean that though, for better or for worse. I haven't seen you live before.

I think singing is great but make sure there's a good singer in your group and don't settle on someone in your group if they honestly can't do something great with their voice. Find an outside body to fill the shoes if your heart is set on singing.

The colour of the album did not come out as we wanted it to unfortunately.

As for the title .... [color:purple]fah-q.

How'd you feel about the lyrics that were there?

Thing with the cover is I'd totally gloss over your album if I was looking at a rack of new releases.

This might be too much of a personal quirk but I just like longer album, and song, titles. "Turn" doesn't say much to me. Turn what? Same with the song titles, when I look at the back cover there's nothing there that grab's my attention and makes me think, "I want to hear what that sounds like." Is it a legit complaint to wish the song titles were more interesting?

Lyrically I think you guys are solid but nothing has really caught my attention enough to make me go check out the lyrics in the liner notes. They lyrics don't bring down the album though, and that's a good thing.

Don't get the wrong impression, I'm in critical mode here. Overall I think the album is a success.

Like I have said in posts in the past.

Music is one of the only arts where there isn't peer review....visual artists have critiques and the artist uses these to grow from.

I consider things like this part of the process. It's not really about right or wrong it's about exposing other points of view and chewing on them for a while.

I know it seems a little strange to some, but I don't really care about that. None of this will be taken so deeply I'll completely change my direction as a musician, it's just interesting.

Kind of an experiment to tell you the truth.

Deeps

None of this will be taken so deeply I'll completely change my direction as a musician, it's just interesting.

That's good to know. You guys have a good thing going on. All I meant was that trying to appease everyone or even a segment of the masses can become pretty tiresome. If it feels right, it's right... and atleast somebody out there will tap into all that you radiate in turn. Plus I think you guys have already been getting plenty of feedback from this board recently. Most of which appears to be positive. That's the stuff I'd be gobbling up. Hopefully it continues to inspire you.

Cheers.

heya Deeps... my only thought is that for the next album you might want to look into working with a producer. Having someone with good ears and good ideas come in and listen to your music constructively, and removed from the emotional aspect of the initial song writting/band dynamics, is a good thing for every band I think.

A good producer will work with you guys and hopefully open your eyes and ears to ideas and directions you might have possibly missed.

It would certainly be an extra expense in the recording process, and you'll want to do a bunch of looking around to find a producer who will be a good fit with the band, but a good producer can make a good record a brilliant record.

Just my $0.02

I love you guys.. and all your songs need more cowbell! :)

if you really want improvement for your music, start asking the question "what do you really enjoy about the music", people will tell you honestly what they liked, and you know what to do more of...it's easy to pick things apart for a negative critique, but for a positive one people actually have to think a lot deeper, and you get good vibes spread around as well. when you find out what people really like, you'll start to do more of it, pay attention to it and grow musically from it and get rid of what people didn't like anyways in the process...

look into working with a producer

Hey, I'll do it. I work cheap and I'm the most brilliant motherfucking producer to come out of Hamilton since Lanois. No shit.

Seriously though, if you're looking for criticism, Deeps (and can take it from your friends, in a public forum no less), I'll echo the comments about the art. Not terribly enticing for somebody looking at the record cold.

Furthermore, regarding the music, let me say this. You know that when I come to see you guys there are two tunes I will incessantly holler for, those being Monsoon and Ring. Those tunes, to me, are the most 'moody' of your catalogue. Monsoon has that incredible off-time vamp with the "Hey"'s in between, and that whole segment is really, what, two whole chords? You literally abandon the complexity of the structure, instead driving the tune with its sheer moodiness, and I think you're highly successful there. Ring has a different mood altogether, but all four instruments and the vocals are all pushing in the same kind of triumphant direction. There are other examples of your successful use of mood on the record; if I had been there to advise doing something differently, I'd tell you to build each song like a pyramid, with equally solid basises in the structure and mood departments, with the two of those coming together to form a successful tune.

Finally, regarding the funk. Funk is good and makes people dance sometimes, I understand that. I also know how fun it is to play. I also know that some people only want to come out to see a band they can dance to, so playing funk caters to them. I'm not one of those people, so in all selfishness, I'd like to say that I think you guys as players are too good to be playing the amount of straight funk that you play. For me, it almost cheapens the experience of seeing the band. If you're going to be assigned artistic credibility for playing funk, you're going to have to be Sharon Jones. Otherwise, to most people, you're a party band. Some funk = ok (e.g. that sweet clav solo in Here Kitty); too much funk = you won't be taken seriously. I know that's flawed logic, as funk is a viable music, I'm just trying to tell you how it is. It's like Shain writing about Panic at the Disco on Jambase. Sure, the hippies shouldn't have jumped down his throat in all fairness, but anybody could have predicted that they would. You want people to stop thinking of you guys as a 'Jamband' and start thinking of you as just a band who plays good music, but not everybody is like Shain or you or I, with our wide-open musical tastes and refusal to be bound by genre definitions in our listening and our playing. To most people, music is what they listen to in their cars and maybe what they see on the weekends. They're going to have distinct tastes, and there's no denying that if you wish to progress in this business, you're going to have to cater to certain tastes to a certain extent. The point is: tighten up the idea of what your band is all about. You've got to have some kind of thread that carries through it all, or else the average idiot (upon whom you're counting to come to your shows and buy your merch to keep you going) won't be able to figure out if he likes your band or not.

For example: When I think of a band like Jimmy Swift, they can be broken down into two elements: live trance and college-rock. Then, when they're in town, you can say to your friends who have never heard of them, "Hey you want to go see this band? They play, like, really dancey, trancey music, but with real instruments, and they're all shit-hot musicians."

What do you want people to be saying when trying to convince their friends to come out to see WTTS? If you're fine with the description of "Uh, they play a bunch of rock, pretty progressive, and a good dose of funk, and some of it is kind-of art-rocky....and well it's all over the map so just come check it out", then you'll have to be cool with the fact that 75% of people will choose the dance bar instead without something solid to latch onto.

I think that's about all I've got, for now. Am I still invited to jam on Friday? :D