Voivod - Kators

built to spill - you in reverse

golden dogs - big eye little eye

the slip - eisenhower

bruce springsteen - seeger sessions

were my favourites this year.

honourable mention:

cold war kids - robbers and cowards

i also liked a bunch that were already mentioned, too... decemberists' crane wife is real good.

Right now I'm enjoying:

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Lose Fur - Born Again in the USA

Drive By Truckers - Blessing and a Curse

M. Ward - Post War

Live album of the year - The Sadies: In Concert Vol. 1

Honourable mentions to Built to Spill, Cat Power, Neko... I'm sure I've forgotten all kinds of stuff... we've still got a couple weeks to finalize year-end lists, don't we? ;)

As an aside, a few of people's favs on here I'd put in my most disappointing of the year list. Including:

MMJ - Okonokos (why did they release a live album where Jim James' voice is out of key on every song?)

Akron/Family - Meek Warrior (boring follow-up to the glorious Angels of Light split)

Decemberists - Crane Wife (the epic prog-rock songs are great, the rest is filler)

Bonny "Prince" Billy - The Letting Go (tres boring)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the MMJ. But I've heard much better bootlegs - performance wise, not sound quality wise - than what was officially released.

As you know, I had issues with elements of Jim's voice throughout the CD, but musicianship wise, I thought they were pretty "on". And since there's lots of long instrumental forays, the album on a whole is a pretty exciting live document. I agree that they've had better nights; it's not better than the boot of MMJ at The Opera House in Toronto or some of the Bonnaroo stuff (to name just a few), but the DVD in particular is pretty darn good.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the MMJ. But I've heard much better bootlegs - performance wise, not sound quality wise - than what was officially released.

I get you perfectly and I agree. Just trying to be funny. :)

Go to the Bittorrent forum for a treat.

I know it's easy to drop in a "why hasn't anyone mentioned..?" but what the hell, a little love for MJMW? It's not a big deal, just nothing short of your average Scofield genius on guitar, that's all.

Some other ones I liked were Springsteen's, The Slip's, Widespead Panic, and JSB's. 6th... can't think.

Guest Low Roller
MMJ - Okonokos (why did they release a live album where Jim James' voice is out of key on every song?)

Jim James has what I would call the 'Neil Young/Kurt Cobain factor': his voice isn't supposed to be polished and perfectly hitting every note. The imperfections actually add to the song by showcasing certain emotions that may be erased otherwise.

That being said, Okonokos doesn't make my list because it's nothing new. I have a bunch of excellent sounding bootlegs that are essentially the same setlist.

My selection for this year would be:

Thom Yorke- The Eraser

It took me a while to warm up to this album, but once I got it, it was non-stop for a while. It has faded a bit in my playlist, but still worthy of a Top 6 nomination for its domination during the summer.

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins- Rabbit Fur Coat

Country music is really not my thing, but Jenny Lewis managed to convince me that the music can be real soulfull and not hick. This album was just a fun listen start to finish, with an excellent cover of Traveling Wilbury's classic "Hard to Handle" to accentuate the listen.

I'm From Barcelona- Let Me Introduce My Friends

Music made fun again. It took a team of 36 people (or some equally outrageous number) to bring it together, but I really enjoyed this album not for the stellar musicianship, not for the ethereal songwriting, but for the simple fact that it was fun.

The Decemberists- The Crane Wife

The long anticipated follow-up to Picaresque... Dave-O gives it a thumbs down, but he also listens to the Slip, so obviously he has a very skewed perception of 'good'. Has some instant classic entries into the Decemberist catalogue, some prodding of the prog-folk genre, and other songs that would just as easily fit in with any of the preceeding three albums.

Jack Johnson- Sing-a-longs & Lullabies for the Film Curious George

Just like Velvet's bold proclamation of a good Billy Talent album, I see my street cred vanish with this selection. Basically I like the simplicity of it and it's filled with catchy tunes. Also I completely LOVE the movie. Slight bias possibly at work.

TV On The Radio- Return to Cookie Mountain

Very different and unique sound. They create a lot of energy from their brand of focused chaos.