Jambands.ca

Ween!

Velvet

Oh, how Ween rocked in Rochester, let me count the ways...

Don't know the setlist, but me and Stapes listed off thirty different tunes after the show, and we're likely forgetting some, giddy as we were on the drive back; Stapes drunk and me going on about an hours sleep and a big hangover from the previous night's Peter Prince/nero afterparty. Hoo-boy.

Musical highlights included Baby Bitch, You Fucked Up and Piss Up A Rope with runner up prizes going to Mutilated Lips, Ice Castles, Roses Are Free, DR. ROCK!!!, Voodoo Lady, and a new one called Someday (I assume; "Someday...You'll hear me sing a love song. Someday...I'll find someone to care about" and so on).

The sound was good, nice venue, unfortunately I stayed 100% sober, but man, what a show for $22. Damn good drummer, and a couple of absolutely smoking solos from the keyboard player. I just love the way Dean plays guitar, and when you see the band live, you really get to hear how good of a singer Gene is. Killer cover of Ohio by the way.

Great night all 'round!

Nice to meet some new sanctuary weirdos at the show. I'm gonna read your posts more carefully Q'est que C'est...you seem a proper freak! Nice to meet you too L'il Ms. Pink, and your lurker chums.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ween is one of the best bands/shows anywhere... period... Gene and Dean (not their real names) are the best (I was blown away by their talent the first time I saw them, was expecting things to be more of a joke and less about the music... their talent is awesome in the true sense of the word)... and they don't fOk around when choosing their band...

Glad you guys made the trek!

"Rochester... I barely know her." QQC

Ween was fuckin'great. I don't really know too many tunes but Piss up a rope was explosive or something? The drummer was absolutely amazing, totally unique style almost reaching past his crashes! And Ween is definitly all about the music. Dean can play like crazy!

Thanks to Miss Pink for driving and to the propsmasters for a wild night in the U S of A-hole! Glad to hear about the psuedo-strippers and the phantom meeting Velvet.

little light... BIG LIGHT!

"You Rochester, you brought her!" QQC [big Grin]

Possibly my favourite thing about a live Ween show is how Gene and Dean can rock out like they are air-guitaring to Led Zeppelin alone in front of a mirror at age 12, and then they turn around and laugh at themselves as if you just caught them rocking out air-guitaring to Led Zeppelin alone in front of a mirror at age 12.

Anybody who thinks Ween are a comedy act is missing the best parts.

I thought the show was great... never been a big ween fan, but was blown away by their ability to play everything. country, jazz, rock and even some killer jams.

...seemed a little weird that the aroma of ganja was not present at a ween show, but i guess thems the breaks in the USA. livin' in fear. i asked a few people where i could find... the best answer i got was "try buffalo." no help.

highlite was defintely piss up a rope, and ohio. and the freedom to shout obscenities at the band... i dont think they minded.

"rochester up front, poker in the rear."

Whoa... I'm still glowing from that concert!

Jono and I have been Ween fans since high school. We've always wanted to see them, and we went thinking it would be fun and silly... but they came on and ROCKED... seriously! Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I use to be a fan, but now I'm obsessed. I think next time they tour, I'm going with em' Best live show I think I've ever been to.

Nice to meet Velvet & Stapes aswell! You guys know your stuff! Too funny when we met up with you on the street... "Qu'est-ce que c'est??" ...I guess the silly glasses gave us twerps away!

OOoooh... love WEEN! just love em'!!!!!!!!!!

well, while you're sitting there Becky... why don't you tune into WeenRadio. All live sets.

I forgot to mention my highlights of the night... considerably hard to choose based on 3 hours of greatness... but "I'll Be Your Jonny On The Spot" was so tight. Going from "Ohio" to "Tender Situation" was wonderful. And listening to everyone shout out the obscenities in Baby Bitch was priceless. I could go on and on... there really wasn't anything I disliked... although, the volume of the mic could have been a bit higher. I was straining to hear Gene sometimes.

oh man... what a great show. (sigh)

Gosh...

I had so many expectations going to see this show and I was pleasently suprised by just how sweet an experience it was.

I sometimes wonder if I'm jaded or spoiled seeing so much good music all the time that I just can't get that rush I used to get seeing shows.

Well I got in Rochester in spades.

The funny thing is that I'm sure that other shows are even more enjoyable. The crowd seemed passive and Ween wasn't as surly as I've heard them on tape but the fact that I was Rushing on Rock n' Roll for a good hour and a half after the show(poor Velvet) tells me I won't be missing this band the next time they come around. They didn't jam much but when they did whooo boy! The Keybord solo during Pandy Fackler was unreal. Also some of the best Rock faces I've ever seen. You know that a band really rocks when they rock out so hard that they have to giggle about it with the band afterwards. Priceless.

I know that the Set included...

You Fucked Up

Fat Lenny

Birthday Boy

Dr. Rock

Tender Situation

Take Me Away

Spinal Menangitis

Roses Are Free

Baby Bitch

Voodoo Lady

Piss Up A Rope

Mollusk

Jonny On The Spot

Mutilated Lips

Golden Eel

Waving My Dick In The Wind

Bucking Ham Green

Ocean Man

Exactly Where I'm At

Bananas And Blow

Ice Castles

Pandy Fackler

Ohio by Niel Young and a few songs I didn't recognize that I assume are off the new album quebec.

Nice meeting LMP, QCC, PP and company. Seems like you guys were having a good time.

-

well- if you couldn't be at It and were in Ontario or this zone- this was the show to go to!

Multilated Lips, Ocean Man, Tender Situation and Dr. Rock are 4 of my absolute favs especially live!

so what is the possibility that they have to do at least a Montreal date -I mean how can they release an album called Quebec and not come up to it!

awwwwWeen!

I was camped at It by a great homemade Ween flag- I loved the coincidence and on the way home sice we couldn't go to the Portland show we listend to some great shows a friend of ours gave me at the creek Phish shows!

it was good.- I also told my friends that were going to the Portland show to think of me though the whole show so I could be there in spirit and since I was listening to Ween at the time- i think that was as good as it could get without being there!

glad some Canadian skanks made it to the show.

we'll work something out- remind me at least once before moedown and I'll tell you how many that I can get to you and you can get me some blanks in trade.

cool?

I have some Amsterdam, wetlands, tralf from buffalo and new orleans state theatre from this jazz fest as well as one or two more.

they are all great and great sources.

quote:

Any comments on the new disc? I haven't given it a full out listen yet.

Picking it up tonight. Along with the new Robert Randolf If it has hit the Canadian market yet. Saw him on Letterman last night. Gold.

quote:

I'm willing to trade the Stapes show

You have Rochester 08/02/03. [Eek!]

I didn't even notice any tapers.

quote:

"You WILL get down on your filthy knees and crawl to the alter that is WEEN." ~Henry Rollins

***nice*** sig, stapes!!! once again, rollins proves his genius. that's dead on for sure.

a pleasure to meet ya too. and yes, our whole entourage had a blast from start to finish on that mission. in fact we're still glowing. [big Grin]

only at a ween concert can a whole group arrive clad in funny eye glasses, lobster harmonicas in tow... and still be among the most normal people there.

keeping all digits crossed they come up to our great white north!

Archived