Jambands.ca

cheapest place to buy beer?

elemeno

I love Quebec for their microbrews but if you're just gonna buy something you can already get in Ontario, get it in Ontario.

The problem with Quebec beer prices is that they are set by the individual depanneur (corner store) and can vary wildy. There's also deposit and a couple of taxes on top of the advertised price so even though it looks like a deal it'll end up costing you the same or more in the end.

The stores can compete in Quebec. I saw an add in the Ottawa sun for a case of domestic beer for under $30. Might be better to buy beer in la belle province.

Ther's also this mysterious place in Aylmer that gives you a card like Subway, where if you buy so many cases you get one free.

What store do you go to Ms. Hux? I've never seen prices that low. I usually go to the place at the corner of Laval and Victoria in Hull for their variety.

Stapes, that's the kind of misleading advertising I'm talking about above... add the deposit and taxes and it works out to be about the same.

I realize that you're likely after the under $30 mark, but if you go for the Niagra Millstone(AKA Trapper), you almost get a free six if you buy a case. It's around 10 bucks for a six, and I believe $31.95 for a case which is a smokin' deal far as I'm concerned, especially for the shit. Mind you, I only get to drink around 18 or so anyway by the time Kung gets finished, but the math pretty much still adds up. Best lager beer ever. Not every beer store has it, but I'm fairly certain that every one has access to it if someone bugs them enough.

Just a little personal note. After coming home to Ontario after 6 years in Montreal, I was blown away at the price of beer here. It is on average $5 cheaper a case in Quebec, and if you look for the deals and shop around, it can be even $10 less a 2-4. The funny thing is, when I left Onatrio to go to Quebec, I thought beer was cheaper here. It went up around $10 in the last 6 years as far as I can tell. Way to go PC party.

Geez, you can buy beer in PQ on sundays, even holidays!

I usually see 2-4's of Blue go for 20.02.

I think that may be a regular sale at grocery stores and the Depanneur.

Add 2.40 and I think you add the GST (7%) and after that they NAIL ya with the PST (7.5%) it'll cost around $25.

Apparantly quebec taxes tax.

Not too bad...

I bought a 12er of Sleemans in PQ last night, and it had a $16.49 sticker on it, but I ended up paying $19.01.

It's really only the cheaper (brown bottle) beer that is really cheap, ie. if you want to drink Black Label or Dry or Old Mil. or one of those you can easily get a 12 for under $10. But beer elitists like myself are not so lucky....

(No, these beers aren't cheap; I'm just bragging a bit...)

arcane and Mercenary are borrowing my driveway for a while, and dropped off some recompense earlier this week:

1 750mL bottle of Fringante

1 750mL bottle of Terrible

1 500mL bottle of Quelque Chose

2 341mL bottles of another Unibroue beer whose name escapes me (and it's not on their web page), but proceeds from its sale go to an environmental cause

And they look so nice next to the 750mL bottle of Trois Pistoles I've got aging in the fridge. [big Grin]

Aloha,

Brad

Where down East are you headed? On my recent sojourn to PEI, I was very pleased to recieve, in my govenment issued 'PEI Play' tourist brochure none the less, coupons for dollars off of Moosehead products (including the most palatable Clancy's Amber Ale). Another beautious maritime initiative that would never happen in Ontario.

Brad: Mercenary tried to get you some "11" (because beer with 10.5% alcohol just ain't strong enough [smile] ), but he hasn't located a source yet. It's a limited bottling, so it might be available only at selected SAQ outlets (that's our theory, anyway).

Now that the Mercenary is working in Ottawa, he isn't in downtown Montreal quite so often. Still, we'd like to try "11" (beer that goes to eleven, dude), so we're looking.

Archived