Jambands.ca

QOTD Jan 11 07: Aerosmith

StoneMtn

Aerosmith is a band that utterly irritates me. In fact, I am irritating myself just by writing this and thinking about them.

On my way to work today, they were playing on the radio. They are often played on the radio. I cannot understand why.

Level with me. Give me your thoughts on Aerosmith. Do you like them, hate them, indifferent? I just can't understand how they've existed all these years, even making a come-back in the late-80s; despite how they actually sound.

So, the question of the day is: What are your thoughts on Aerosmith?

Aerosmith was my favourite band in the latter part of the 70's - along with Kiss and The Beatles and Who. I loved "Rocks", "Toys In The Attic", "Aerosmith" and "Draw The Line".

However, I grew tired of the band right around the time they disintegrated - when Joe Perry left.

Their comeback was surprising, but I never got on-board. Their sound got more generic, except for perhaps the single "Rag Doll". Also, they've put out far too many ballad singles that all sound like their Permanent Vacation hit "Angel".

Overall, they should pack it in or start recording as fast as possible in Clarksdale Mississippi.

i first heard aerosmith at summercamp in maybe 90 or 91... the song hangman jury (side b track one of permanent vacation) and i loved it. got into the early stuff, loved it. eventually found better music and moved on, have never looked back.

sweet emotion is still an amazing song. and i still know all the words to permanent vacation.

I still think Rocks and Toys In The Attic are great albums, but as I near age 39, I've long grown tired of listening to Aerosmith's music. They aren't the only band from my youth that I can't listen to anymore due to weary ears: The Doors, Eagles, Kiss, Boston, Zeppelin II, Kansas, to some extent Crosby, Stills & Nash, Santana (except for Soul Sacrifice), Yes, Foreigner, Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, BTO, The Guess Who, Styx, Journey, Supertramp, Billy Squire, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, some David Bowie, REO Speedwagon and Band On The Run by Paul McCartney.

First four albums or so are full of great stuff - although all you really need is an early Greatest Hits collection.

Their comeback material in the 80's/90's was obviously fluff, but as slabs of cheesy poppy goodness goes, you can't really beat the likes of "Janie's got a Gun" or such like. I enjoy it the same way I enjoy Def Leppard, which is: not at all, but it's still fun.

Not a fan but I love Sweet Emotion. I remember taping it off the radio when I was a kid. Great song and it is used in the opening of the movie Dazed and Confused, which is one of my favorite movies.

I gotta say that the Dazed and Confused soundtrack was a revelation. I was a pretty big Nuge fan in the 70's (who wasn't?), but Stranglehold never got much play. It wasn't until I heard the soundtrack - that was in the CD jukebox at a Ryerson pub back in the early 90's - that Stranglehold finally kicked me in the ass. Waht a fucking great song.

First four albums or so are full of great stuff - although all you really need is an early Greatest Hits collection.

Although I respectfully don't agree with your comment - they were an album band back then - if you do get one of their Greatest Hits albums, make sure it's not the red covered one - the first one they released in 1980. It butchers the into to Sweet Emotion and is pretty skimpy song-wise - excluding some great tracks like No More No More, Mama Kin, Toys In The Attic, Lord of the Thighs, Last Child and Rats In The Cellar etc...