Jambands.ca

QOTD Jan 11 07: Aerosmith

StoneMtn

I’m a fan of Aerosmith / Toxic Twins. I didn’t see them when they played Ottawa a couple of years ago because I wasn’t willing to spend $100 on them though. I did see them 3 years ago in Montreal, but that’s partially because Cheap Trick (one of my favourite bands and one of my first concerts - MLG in 1977, I think.) was the opening band.

Haven’t bought an album since Permanent Vacation, but their older catalogue is full of classics.

They always put on a great show. I think that they are the U.S. version of the Stones.

(Fwiw I also really like the Pretenders, or at least their older stuff. Saw them at Kingswood about 20 years ago.)

Aerosmith is horrible.

Even their older stuff.

Pure cock rock.

Whatever kido.

When 1970's airwaves were flooded with music from artists as diverse as Abba to Bony M' date=' kids like me were thankful for bands like Aerosmith and Kiss. Disco does indeed suck.[/quote']

Well, today radio is stunk up by the likes of Justin Timberlake and all those other shitty pop acts. Does that make the crappy excuse for rock that's being played on 'new rock' stations, like Nickleback, good.

For me to consider music to be good there has to be more to it than, "At least it isn't _____."

and will mr mountain be changing his name to mr burb?

I think you are making a presumption that my online-name has something to do with where I live. In actual fact, I've had that online-name since living in Kingston, and it is purely a translation of my last name into English.

So, to answer your question ... "Nope."

I think that they are the U.S. version of the Stones.

I certainly agree with that.

WOW! I do not. Aerosmith wakes daily and wishes they meant as much to music as the Stones.

That being said:

Chip Away The Stone has a great vibe.

Walk This Way has an unmistakable cadence and in itself was groundbreaking.

And Sweet Emotion *the long version* is an A-one stoner classic and as Boogie said the perfect start to a perfect movie.

I used to go and see Aerosmith when I was a kid and had all of their albums from the early seventies until the mid-ninties. I saw them 4 times from 1989 to 1993 or so.

Then they really started pumping out radio friendly pop hits (some of them with guest writers) and I really lost interest. Probably what put the nail in the coffin was when I read an article by an opening act who revealed that most of the concert was taped and they barely played or sang any of the music & just danced and lip-synched their way through.

Even if they played a whole show of old songs I don't want to go and watch Steven Tyler dance to his old hits and pretend to sing.

Probably what put the nail in the coffin was when I read an article by an opening act who revealed that most of the concert was taped and they barely played or sang any of the music & just danced and lip-synched their way through.

Even if they played a whole show of old songs I don't want to go and watch Steven Tyler dance to hits old hits and pretend to sing.

Wow! Really? That is just terrible. I stopped watching bands on SNL for that very reason. (Most bands I want to see on there don't lip-synch, but there are certainly no guarantees that they'll actually perform; apart from the obvious like when Zappa appeared.)

and will mr mountain be changing his name to mr burb?

I think you are making a presumption that my online-name has something to do with where I live. In actual fact' date=' I've had that online-name since living in Kingston, and it is purely a translation of my last name into English.

So, to answer your question ... "Nope."[/quote']

:P

Disco does indeed suck.

:crazy: **pretending i didn't read this**

under-estimate JT at your own risk, the dude is talented.

I couldn't agree more. I was just saying the other night out of all the pop icon idiots of today, JT didn't fit the mix. That dude is talented.