Rolling Stone's The New Guitar Gods

Jaimoe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the sweaty monkey boy?

YearsAlongTheSea, that delicious morsel of delectable man-hunk, is monsieur Mickey Melchiondo, aka Dean Ween, the guitar god half of the brothers Ween.

let's just take another look at him again then, shall we? because really, you can never stare too long at luscious hotness like this. *sigh*

13_soul.jpg

by the way, please do not take my speaking of him as though he is a slab of juicy meat, as some sort of indication his raw, animal sex appeal, is all he is good for. he is a truly gifted musician.

and so fucking brown.

I don't see anything wrong with this list.

Guitar gods don't always mena 'the best guitar players'

Who ELSE are worshipped like these guys??

I wholeheartedly agree with the number 1.

He's among the proest of the pro. 100% solid, a strong personality, and actually sounds unique.

1. John Mayer

2. Derek Trucks

3. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers

4. Luther Dickinson - North Mississippi Allstars

5. Nels Cline - Wilco

6. Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule

7. Jim James & Cark Broemel - My Morning Jacket

8. Adam Jones - Tool

9. Kaki King

10. Mike McCready & Stone Gossard - Pearl Jam

11. Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave

12. Ed O'Brien & Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead

13. Omar Rodriguez-Lopex - Mars Volta

14. Matt Pike - Sleep, High On Fire

15. Jack White - White Stripes, Raconteurs

16. Chuck Garvey & Al Schnier - Moe

Does no one have an issue with John Mayer topping this list?

He's a freakin basic blues player as far as I've heard. Maybe a god back in the 40s when 12 bars ruled the air waves, but now?

Eck.

Deeps

I back that up 100%. He wouldn't have stood a chance the 40's either with the like of Lonnie Johnson, Charlie Christian and Lighnng Hopkins cutting his head.

Way overrated.

Luther is tasteful as shit live for a blues player and few except Derek And Warren can compete with him on slide.

Luther is far from a master slide player, but he has a nice rambuncious style. As a standard lead player he's more of a poor man's Dickey Betts via Junior Kimbrough. I'm actually more impressed with Cody Dickenson as a musician.

My only criticism of the inclusion of Nels Cline is that he hasn't been with Wilco long enough. He's walking inside some pretty big footsteps Wico-wise, including Jeff Tweedy's. Still, Nels can rip the strings off his guitar with taste and dexterity.

Does no one have an issue with John Mayer topping this list?

He's a freakin basic blues player as far as I've heard. Maybe a god back in the 40s when 12 bars ruled the air waves' date=' but now?

Eck.

Deeps[/quote']

I back that up 100%. He wouldn't have stood a chance the 40's either with the like of Lonnie Johnson, Charlie Christian and Lighnng Hopkins cutting his head.

Way overrated.

Dudes, as I mentioned earlier, the list is in NO ORDER. I have no problem with the rather large-headed well-publicized male-slut making the list. He has some good chops for a cocky music school college grad.

I think he could have stood a chance with all the greats you mentioned, but he fails them when it comes to ingenuity and originality. However Big Bill Broonzy and Tommy Johnson would have laughed at him.

re: Mayer - he's someone with some real potential that is maturing in that space that lies somewhere between r&b, pop and blues. It's a goldmine for both commercial and artistic successes. I like his last album and I think the next five or ten years may play out some big things for him.

My only criticism of the inclusion of Nels Cline is that he hasn't been with Wilco long enough. He's walking inside some pretty big footsteps Wico-wise, including Jeff Tweedy's. Still, Nels can rip the strings off his guitar with taste and dexterity.

Nels has been living in the "jazz" and musique actuelle circles for a long time and he could play circles around Tweedy, as shown at every Wilco show since he joined. See Dave-O's comments. Tweedy plays Television licks sometimes, but it doesn't make him more innovative or original.

Then again it's a Rolling Stone list, and we all have pretty good opinions about stuff, so, carry on soldier. I like the cut of your jib :)

The only thing about Cline is that the list listed Wilco. Not too many in the mainstream would know him before he joined the band. And I don't think he cops Television licks per say. He channels Television's attitude and aggression and infuses those traits into his instrumental breaks.

Well they didn't list Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's work with At the Drive In, or Derek Trucks in any band, or Frusciante with Mars Volta, so I don't think it matters what band is listed with the artist. All of their experience makes them the guitar players they are. Er, the "New Guitar Gods" they are. :)