Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go - Fan Forum

djmelbatoast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Do you think he's an "off the bench" guy? Or a platoon with Vernon? Pinch runner? I know it's a minor league contract, but he'll make the big club for sure! I'm getting quite excited about the team this year. Eckstein and Rolen, a healthy rotation, and some great bats! Whoot!

I think he'll make the club for sure. They're selling it as though he'll platoon with Stairs, but I dunno. he's either gonna beat out Stairs or Johnson outright for the starting everyday gig.

I really like this move cuz even though he's old hes got some speed left in him and he hit 290 last year. Either way, awesome depth move, but Johnson wont be happy.

The Stewart move is retarded.

He is a liability in the field, he has had so many hamstring injuries over the years that he can't run anymore, Johnson was a free agent, if they weren't happy with him then they shouldn't have signed him for 3 mil a season. Also, I don't see anyway that Stairs and Lind aren't ahead of Stewart on the depth chart. It's pointless.

Meanwhile, they still don't have a starting catcher.

And Hal, how do you figure Hill bats 9th?

Don't forget Stewart's horrendously weak throwing arm. With a team gearing-up as one of the best defensive teams in the league, his arm will be a constant worry if he beats out Johnson in left.

That's why I think he should come off the bench. He's still got a great bat. Pinch hit, run, stay in the game for Johnson.

Plus, both he and Stairs are older guys, to only play each of them for half a game at a time might be better over the whole season for longevity, injuies, etc...

Edited by Guest

I really think they are going to stick with Zaun as a starter. At least to start the season. Don't know too much about Barajas, but I like what people are saying about his thrown out percentage. They will be an interesting tandum.

and for Fun:

Haliday

Burnett

Marcum

Mcgowan

Janssen?

Not too shabby

Not to shabby at all....I would prefer to see the Gus Chachin from a couple of years ago re-emerge, but I don't know if it'll happen. Give Litch some time to kick ass in triple A, He can come up if he has to.

The Stewart move is retarded.

He is a liability in the field, he has had so many hamstring injuries over the years that he can't run anymore, Johnson was a free agent, if they weren't happy with him then they shouldn't have signed him for 3 mil a season. Also, I don't see anyway that Stairs and Lind aren't ahead of Stewart on the depth chart. It's pointless.

And Hal, how do you figure Hill bats 9th?

Stewart is a career 298 hitter. He stole more bases last year (11) than Johnson has in his past 3 or 4 seasons as a Jay. Johnson is also very injured so having this type of depth is SMART.

I have a bet with cully that Stairs hits 260 with 14 HR's this year. Again, smart to have Stewart.

Hill can only bat 7,8, or 9, I just think hed be better at 9 cuz he'll get on base more for the top of the order. He could maybe bat 2nd someday.

I like the Stewart deal b/c the Jays OF is oft injured. I also think he has something left in the tank. We'll have to see how it plays out.