Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go - Fan Forum

djmelbatoast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads should roll. Riccardi has been given enough chances and he now thinks he isnt nearly as good as his reputation makes him seem. He and the manager should be fired.

He's also pissed that the city of Toronto isnt completely infuriated but his main point is that he doesnt think JP is a very good judge of talent and the only reason we are seeing a solid looking pitching staff is pure luck due to all those injuries. Some of these kids were never going to get a shot this year and Bob isnt convinced they would have remained Blue Jays.

I remember the much maligned Mike Wilner mentioning in August that the Jays are the worst team in the AL advancing runners on 1st and 2nd with one or none out.

McKown said the other day that JP calls all the shots regarding the style of ball the Jays play. He essentially said, Billy Beane ball is alive and well in T.O.: power baseball over small ball. If the power guys like Glaus, Overbay, Wells and Thomas aren't hitting home runs and more importantly, not being asked to play small ball, then a .500 team is what you get. And that is what the Blue Jays are in a nutshell. Don't jump all over me for mentioning Thomas either. He played like ass for the first half of the year and is a disappointment even if his stats don't look too bad to a salary arbitrator.

Edited by Guest

Indeed he is, but he was disappointing in the first half of the season. Hill and Rios have played consistantly well this season, but what other non-pitching stars played up to their potential? Zero, and Johnny Mac doesn't count since he's not a star, just a fucking great fielding shortstop.

And that is what the Blue Jays are in a nutshell.

Well, if you ask Bob McCown and Jim Kelly, they will also tell you that this team is POORLY coached. Like Jim said yesterday

"How many games did this team throw away in the heat of their playoff run, because of stupid mental errors like not hitting the cut-off man?"

Things like that are placed squarely on the coaches shoulder. Trust me. I am a Raiders fan. What about that game while you were in Ireland Dave? I sent you a link to the story. Gibbons handed in the WRONG batting lineup before the game!

That's bush-league shit. As far as I am concerned, the only way Riccardi should be able to keep his job is if he fires Gibbons.

And that is what the Blue Jays are in a nutshell.

Well' date=' if you ask Bob McCown and Jim Kelly, they will also tell you that this team is POORLY coached. Like Jim said yesterday

"How many games did this team throw away in the heat of their playoff run, because of stupid mental errors like not hitting the cut-off man?"

Things like that are placed squarely on the coaches shoulder. Trust me. I am a Raiders fan. What about that game while you were in Ireland Dave? I sent you a link to the story. Gibbons handed in the WRONG batting lineup before the game!

That's bush-league shit. As far as I am concerned, the only way Riccardi should be able to keep his job is if he fires Gibbons.

[/quote']

Yes, I forgot about that email you sent me. Gibbons also has made some real bonehead moves all year, especially regarding pitching decisions - he yanks Doc last week in the 9th only to see the bullpen blow the game.

He's gotta go.

Unless it is Grady Little and Pedro Martinez I dont normally question why a manager decides to yank a pitcher or leave them in. That blunder was obvious to anyone's eyes including people who dont really watch baseball. He had clearly lost all of his stuff and the Yankees were starting to rock the ball.

We dont know what is going on at field level. It's easy to say after the fact but that doesnt make it right.

Absolutely right Gibbons should be fired. There is a reason why this can't get over the hump in terms of them being good consistently (as opposed winning 4, losing 5, winning 5, losing 4). As far as JP goes, I don't know. I think if you fire JP then is just going to be another rebuilding project and that is not what the Jays need. The Jays have a good team that wasn't playing to their potential, that isn't JP's fault, its Gibbon's fault.

You won't have to rebuild the team if JP were fired. He didn't rebuild the team when Gord Ash got fired. A lot of the Jays best players were drafted and/or signed by Ash and JP was smart enough not to deal them away. Another GM would do the same, we'd hope. Of course some players would be traded or dumped.

One guy that we should also look at is Jays president Paul Godfrey. He pulls more strings than you'd think.

I still can't get over the game when he pulled Marcum in the 6th while he was pitching a no-hitter.

And why the hell would anyone bat Overbay in the 2 hole?

Wells is having a complete right off of a year? Make him the lead off man.

I hate Gibbons.

And as good as Rios has been this year, he's only hit about 4 homeruns since the all-star break.

• 2 months later...

Mike Wilner was on Prime Time yesterday and Bob, Kelly and Wilner talked about the potential Rios deals. Wilner likes Cane better than the other kid, but the Jays like Tim Lincecum a little more. Wilner prefers Cane because he has two years under his belt in the majors and is 2 years younger than Lincecum.