Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go - Fan Forum

djmelbatoast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jays problems this year hasn't been their starting pitching. It's been their injuries to key players and their terribly inconsistent batting. Having Ryan out for the season was a huge blow too. Imagine having Acardo setting up Ryan after yanking Towers after the 5th? I'm glad Overbay and Johnson are back.

Honestly, I think they need a shake-up at coaching. Gibbons just hasnt delivered. Theres always excuses for him. Nothing personal against the guy, and I know injuries paly a key role, but he just hasnt achieved anything. All these losses and all he says is "we just need to put together a winning streak." Its like, no shit. A winning streak, eh? You aint as slow as ya sound!

The thing is, Gibbons can't hit for these guys. I'm not sold on him as a manager that can take you to the next level, but there's other problems on this team more glaring than the manager. Also, the Jays aren't as deep as the Yanks and the Red Sox, so injuries have played a major part in their average record.

Accardo is just a kid too. His recent blown saves will make him a better pitcher in big situations like in NY and Boston in the near future... and there's no way Black is worse than Campbell - although they are 1-2 in the bad charts. Jamie is the worst play-by-play man since Fergie Oliver, a man he 'accidently' quotes from time to time.

The Jays pitching is fine and the future looks bright indeed. The best deal J.P. didn't make was panic when A.J. and Chacin went down. Marcum, McGowan and even the much maligned Towers have been good in their absence and Chacin in particular should be traded. Incidently, all three of J.P.'s free agent starting pitcher singings at the start of the season have been released.

I am definately stoked about the Jays future pitching, not just from the past five games but in general over the season. The young guns have shown they can dominate and while they don't do it all the time they are still young and will harnass their goodness to be extremely consistent...I can smell it.

What the Jays shouldn't do is fool themselves into thinking they can make the playoffs this year and become buyers or stand-stillers at the trade deadline. Trade away Thomas or Glaus or whoever for a nice prospect or three.

I cant see them trading to make a run. That would just be stupid. Sell. Sell. Sell.

If you dont see anyone move it's because JP wasnt happy with the offer received. Plain and simple. But IF he trades and thinks they can go for it I will call for his head unless the playoffs are theirs to be had.

Call me crazy but there is a strong link in my eyes between how the Jays have to handle things and how Les Habs have had to handle things year in, year out for the last few of them. A part of me is surprised that I have never seen an editorial piece proposing that theory. If there has been, forgive me.

If not. PM me to remind me to get off my ass and write it. I'm too drunk and lazy to do it myself at the moment (including reminding myself).

I can't see them trading either, but I would not get on the selling train. I think they have a great team, with a good combonation of youth and experience. If they don't make the playoffs this year, (I know, it's likely they won't, but I keep the faith.) I would make a few trades or sell offs...Chacin for one, and maybe getting a better batting catcher, and try to fill the rest of the rotation out.

Thomas, Stairs, Glaus...I'd keep 'em all. Burnett too, and Ryan...injuries didn't allow them to show their full potential.

Ok, is it just me, or does anyone else long for the days when we had Orlando Hudson at second and Hill at Short? Where's Tony Fernandez when we need him?

I disagree with keeping Stairs. If someone out there actually wants to trade something useful for him, I say DO IT!! Sure he has been playing well, but let's keep things in perspective. It's Matt Stairs.

I like Stairs. I don't think he should be the first baseman, he has a hole in his glove you could drive a truck through, but keep him as a DH or PH. I like his bat, he's one of few left handed batters we have, and besides, he's a Canadian boy who wants to play in Toronto.

Edited by Guest