Jambands.ca

Jamband Movie in "Spinal Tap" style

Kanada Kev

Wondering how this one might turn out. Mike Gordon and Bob Weir as "themselves", Claypool brothers, Seth Green as "Jonah the taper", Matt Stone as "taper guy", :

http://www.movieweb.com/news/24/19624.php

National Lampoon has acquired the rights to its first out-of-house feature film entitled Electric Apricot. According to Variety, Electric Apricot centers around the jam band phenomenon. It was directed by the musician Les Claypool. He is best known for leading the band Primus, which was featured on the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Soundtrack.

Written by Claypool, the mocumentary is a spoof of bands like The Grateful Dead and Phish. It will also focus on the fans that follow such groups. Electric Apricot was shot in the same style as This is Spinal Tap.

South Park's Matt Stone, Robot Chicken's Seth Green, and Grateful Dead band member Bob Weir will make cameo apperances.

The film will be released later this year. Also being released this year by National Lampoon Films is National Lampoon's Bagboy. The film will star Brooke Shields, Dennis Farina, and Larry Miller.

From imdb.com:

Plot summary for

Electric Apricot (2006)

advertisement

Electric Apricot is a spoof of jam bands centered around the band, Electric Apricot, in the style of "This Is Spinal Tap". The members of the band go by the assumed names, Steve Hampton Trouzdale on bass and vocals, Steve "Gordo" Gordon on guitar and vocals, Herschal Tambor Brillstien on keyboards and vocals, and Lapland "Lapdog" Miclovik on drums and vocals. Written by Facamus

In the Spring of 2005 a graduate filmmaker from UCLA set forth to make a documentary reflecting an element of contemporary music culture that had yet to be fully examined. The notion was to capture something raw and original. He searched for something unpretentious and genuine, yearning to make a film that would stand out from other music documentaries and potentially redefine the genre. Who he found was the band Electric Apricot, what he achieved is enlightenment. Unexpectedly while searching for enlightenment the duality of existence was unveiled. Written by Jason McHugh

Directed by

Les Claypool

Writing credits

(in alphabetical order)

Les Claypool

Cast (in alphabetical order)

Dian Bachar ... Stacey "Skip" Holmes

Arj Barker ... The Cube

Lawrence Brooke ... Narrator

Les Claypool ... Lapland Miclovich aka-Lapdog

Steve Claypool ... Lapland "Lapdog" Miclovich

Oz Fritz ... Oz George

Adam Gates ... Steve "Aiwass" Trouzdale

Mike Gordon ... Himself

Seth Green ... Jonah "the taper"

Fred Heim ... Officer McFlounce

Sirena Irwin ... The Photographer

Brian Kehoe ... Steve "Gordo" Gordon

Bryan Kehoe ... Steve "Gordo" Gordon

Brian Kite ... Dr. Brian "Bucky" Lefkowitz

Jonathan Korty ... Herschel Tambor Brilstein

Gabby LaLa ... Mei Pang

Sam Maccarone ... Billy Bob the Bartender

Kyle McCulloch ... Drew Shackleford

Jason McHugh ... 'Smilin' Don Kleinfeld

Slawek Michalak ... Hydro Salesmen

Matthew J. Powers ... Davis Mindelhof

Matt Stone ... Taper guy

Jason Thompson ... Jake the band Tech

Derek Walls ... Duck the Band Tech

Bob Weir ... Himself

Produced by

David Lefkowitz .... associate producer

Jason McHugh .... producer

Matthew J. Powers .... executive producer

Original Music by

Les Claypool

Cinematography by

Matthew J. Powers

Film Editing by

Les Claypool

Agent Ogden

I think this movie is going to ruin the scene, man

i'm going to go picket it if someone can remind me of where and when it's playing. and maybe give me a lift to the movie theatre that day. oh yes and can we stop on the way to pick up some snacks? I don't want to have to go buy anything from those corporate whores who are showing the film. i can bring some *cookies* and maybe a six pack and some oilers to get us through what is sure to be a long and difficult night. i'll borrow my roomate's guitar and we can jam in front of the theatre while we enlighten people as to what true jam heads are. oh yes and we'll need a blanket and some incense, if you guys know of anyone with bongo drums tell them they're welcome. maybe i'll make up some burritos too and we can sell em to offset some of the cash we're dropping on supplies

Here's a review from the SXSW Festival:

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=reviews&Id=9883

electricapricot_reviews07_PIC01.jpg

ELECTRIC APRICOT: QUEST FOR FESTEROO

by Don R. Lewis

(2007-03-19)

2007, Un-rated, 91 minutes

2007 SXSW SPECIAL SCREENINGS FEATURE! I’ve lived my entire life in the San Francisco Bay Area and I’ve never, ever understood the local obsession with jam bands. Namely, the obsession with the Grateful Dead. To echo a bartender (Maccarone) in “Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo†I (expletive deleted) hate that (expletive deleted) band and all the (expletive deleted) people who worship them. There, I said it. When Jerry Garcia died I thought the whole “lets follow a jam band around for years on end†way of life would end but then came Phish, String Cheese Incident, Government Mule and others to carry the “torch.†Even more disturbing to me personally was the development of “Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade,†a jam band fronted by bass playing God and Primus founder Les Claypool. What was the world coming to? Yet after watching “Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo,†a genius mockumentary on the jam band scene, I’m willing to forgive Claypool for his jammy tendencies.

“Electric Apricot†is a jam band who lives just outside San Francisco in ultra-rich and Hippycentric Marin County. The band consists of Steve “Gordo†Gordan (Kehoe) on guitar, Steve “Aiwass†Trouzdale (Gates) on bass, Herschel Tambor Brilstein (Korty) on keys and Lapland “Lapdog†Miclovich (Claypool) on drums. The band is really just getting started as we get to know a little about each member. Where they work, live and so forth. We also meet their tour manager “Smilin’†Don Kleinfeld and the bands financial backer Drew Shackleford (McCulloch) who are trying their darndest to get “Electric Apricot†onto the most prestigious jam band festival around, “Festeroo.â€

Having managed bands and been a part of the music scene in the Bay Area for over 15 years, the inside jokes are so funny they zoomed past hilarious and right back to realistic in no time flat. Several times I found myself laughing at the comedy onscreen as much as at how much Claypool simply nails the personalities of musicians and their fans. Every character in the band is fully realized. Brilstein is one of those Zen-master yoga lovers who can still fly into a rage at any second. Lapdog is so self absorbed into his mediocre drumming, he refuses to even comprehend other peoples advice or criticism. Hippies crack me up because they portray an air of “everythings groovy,†but it’s only really groovy when they’re getting their way. For a first film it’s impressive the way Claypool has crafted each person to perfectly explode into one another as the band hits the recording studio and then the road. For as great as the fictitious band is, the fringe characters are also classic archetypes of music fandom.

There’s “The Tapers†(Green and Stone) who spend their time dwelling on the intricacies of setting up the perfect rig for taping live shows. There’s the fans, desperate to prove they’re the bands number one cheerleader all the while trying to set themselves apart from their pack of twirlers by inventing new dance moves. My personal favorite was the sound tech (Bachar) who just wants so bad to be accepted and welcomed into the fray he ends up alienating everyone around him. From there, bandmates bring in girlfriends and their own issues and it all ends up as a rolling roadshow of hippy skewering mayhem.

Although I mentioned how much I love “Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo†because I totally get the crowd Claypool is parodying, I think that even those (luckily) unfamiliar with the jam band subculture will get the joke. I also loved how the film didn’t devolve into just another stupid stoner comedy where everyone runs around baked out and pandering for laughs. This film is smarter than that and a much funnier result is achieved. There’s also not too much swearing or crude attempts at humor which was kind of refreshing to see. Like many of Claypools bands, “Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo†is bound to be a cult hit. I’m just hoping it will have the chance to play before a bigger audience as I feel the film is just plain hilarious and I was extremely impressed at the way Claypool pulled it all together in his first directorial effort.

It was directed by the musician Les Claypool. He is best known for leading the band Primus, which was featured on the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Soundtrack.

Really??

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Bogus_Journey#Trivia

One of the bands they competed against in the Battle of the Bands was real-life California band Primus, led by Les Claypool, performing "Tommy the Cat" from their then-current album Sailing the Seas of Cheese.

Aloha,

Brad

Man, I wish Electric Apricot would come and play in Ottawa.

Aloha,

Brad

Sure, bitch and moan about how EA never plays O-Town, then when they do come, only 6 people will be there and it will be trumpeted as the death of headyness in Ottawa because it was a pinned topic on the Skank and Maverick's didn't rent a skywriting plane to promote the show.