Jambands.ca

White Stripes Canada Reviews

AD

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was at arva...friggin sweet set up. almost like a litle amp with the stage on the loading dock of the mill and the "floor" being the loading area and a small grassy hill to the back and to the side.

i missed half of it but they closed with stop breaking down blues...

then they sold t shirts for 5 bucks after the show.

Edited by Guest

i knew i missed a bunch... here's a more accurate setlist i found:

White Stripes

John Labatt Center

London Ontario

07/07/07

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

Icky Thump

I'm Slowly Turning Into You >

Canon >

I'm Slowly Turning Into You

Hotel Yorba

I'm Finding It Harder To Be A Gentelman

Astro / Jack the Ripper

Death Letter

Cold Cold Night

Apple blossom

The Union Forever

A Martyr for my Love For You

The Big Three Killed My Baby

I think I smell a rat (riff)

Little Cream Soda (w/ big 3 words at the end)

Astro

I think I smell a rat

Encore

Blue Orchid

Party of Special Things To Do

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself

You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)

Hardest Button To Button

Catch Hell Blues

We're Going To Be Friends

Seven Nation Army

Boll weevill

bronson centre for cancer kids from cheo. only 'outsider' to get in was ian boyd's wife (ian is the guy who runs compact music). no vans or any clues from the outside but 120% confirmation on the secret gig

good for them. phooey cuz i couldn't see it though.

Side show in Charlottetown - people were told to show up at confederation landing for 5:00 p.m.

they sailed in on a boat!! played for about 15 mins, (all of which on the boat) which sailed around the "landing"

Setlist

Catfish Blues (Rolling Stones' arrangement)

Black Math

Hotel Yorba

Screwdriver

There was no secret show for Moncton, at least nobody is talking about it on their messageboard. Jack went to see a movie on Monday night at the Trinity Theatres.

From a local Moncton board:

So... There was SUPPOSED to be a secret show. But it was called off at the last minute because there was a newspaper reporter lurking around the venue.

They were going to play at Fairlanes... but it didn't happen. The band did however bowl on Monday, Tuesday afternoon... and then again after the show. Apparently, they are very good.

Moncton Setlist

Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground

Icky Thump

When I hear My Name

Jolene

Effect & Cause

Hotel Yorba

Offend in Every Way > I Think I Smell a Rat > instrumental bit of Rag & Bone > I Think I Smell a Rat > Offend in Every Way

Why Can't You Be Nicer to Me? (first verse)

I'm Slowly turning into you

Screwdriver (on piano possibly?)

Denial Twist

Death Letter

Cold Cold Night

300 mph torrential outpour blues

You don't what love is

ball and biscuit

Encore:::::

Black math

I just don't know what to do with myself

we're going to be friends

i fought piranhas (along with "knock it off")

stop breaking down

seven nation army

boll weevil

Charlottetown Setlist from someone on the WS message board

dead leaves and the dirty ground

icky thump

hotel yorba

wasting my time

one more cup of coffee

cannon/john the revelator

i think i smell a rat

catch hell blues

i'm slowly turning into you

the denial twist

i'm finding it harder to be a gentleman

jolene

same boy you've always known

fell in love with a girl (slow version)

we are going to be friends

i just don't know what to do with myself

ball and biscuit

in the cold cold night

-Encore-

party of special things to do (someone was holding a sign up that said "BEEFHEART" so they complied)

blue orchid

seven nation army

boll weevil (jack said something along the lines of "we'd love to stay, but we have to get on a bus to go to some other beautiful province of Canada. i can play all night!")

Don't worry phishtaper' date=' I think we'll get a DVD of this tour. :)

[/quote']

Indeed. The Stripes hired a documentary crew to film their Canadian tour for a future DVD release.

Yeah in Toronto while we were visciously trying to chug our beer so we could get to the floor, a short fellow in a bowler hat and suit came up and stood beside us with a fairly large video camera on a big stick and taped a few songs. It was a strange sight indeed.....

Halifax fans chase White Stripes around town

Last Updated: Saturday, July 14, 2007 | 10:21 AM ET

CBC Arts

Halifax fans of the White Stripes ran around the city trying to locate where the duo would play their free show, and in the end the band chose a downtown pool hall.

The Detroit duo have been playing impromptu sets in eclectic locations during their cross-Canada tour, which will take them to every province and territory.

About 150 people squeezed into the Locas Bar and Billiards to hear Jack and Meg White launch into a rendition of their 1998 single, Let's Just Shake Hands.

"It's so amazing to be here, it feels wonderful," said Kathryn Johnson, 19, after the blistering six-song set.

Earlier on, hundreds of fans followed the pair up Citadel Hill, believing the band would do a set at the old fortress.

Both musicians, clad in tartan kilts, were piped into the fort by the 78th Highlanders Pipes and Drums. Fans were disappointed when the rockers fired off a cannon and left without performing.

Continue Article

The White Stripes have played a string of free shows in every city they have visited on their tour. Their venues have ranged from a park in Whitehorse to a bowling alley in Saskatoon, as well as a bus in Winnipeg, a YMCA in Toronto and, most recently, the back of a boat in Charlottetown's harbour.

Their arrival in Nova Scotia has been much anticipated owing to Jack White's connection to Cape Breton. White is a distant cousin of fiddler Ashley MacIsaac, who is set to open the band's Saturday night show in Glace Bay.

Jack White's mother was on hand to enjoy the concert in the bar.

"We love meeting new relatives," said Teresa Gillis, revealing she was in town to meet the family.

The White Stripes' Canadian tour ends July 16 in St. John's.

so, i guess tonite was the last gig of the tour? anyone know anything about this "one note" secret show? they played one note and that was it apparently? pretty funny.

anyways, here's a bunch of clips from the london show that were posted on littleroom...

And on that note, the White Stripes tour is over

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 | 7:17 AM ET

CBC News

The White Stripes put on a surprise pre-concert show for fans in St. John's Monday evening, but it could not have been much shorter.

Guitarist Jack White and drummer Meg White took a stage at the George Street bar strip in downtown St. John's, a few hours before playing the final concert on a Canadian tour that took them to every province and territory they had never played before.

But for the secret show at George Street, the White Stripes played just a single note — reportedly a C-sharp — before telling fans they would see them at the scheduled concert.

Buzz had been building around the city for hours about a secret show, which became a hallmark of the group's unorthodox tour across Canada. The two-member band, for instance, played in a Halifax pool hall and on a bridge in Winnipeg.

Shortly before the suppertime show on George Street, fans were told the White Stripes would play just a single note. Hundreds of fans were able to make it to the stage in time to see the briefest of concerts.

The crowed cheered loudly after the Stripes played their one note, took a bow, and left the stage.

Continue Article

The follow-up show, however, pulled out all the stops.

"You can't accuse the White Stripes of phoning it in," said Zach Goudie, who reports on the music scene for CBC Radio in St. John's.

"I don't think you'll hear too many people whining," Goudie said, referring to the brevity of the pre-show. In light of the final concert, "the one-second secret show seems funny, instead of disappointing."

nl-white-stripes-20070716.jpg

Jack White and Meg White played a single note before hundreds of delighted fans at an impromptu concert in downtown St. John's. Jack White and Meg White played a single note before hundreds of delighted fans at an impromptu concert in downtown St. John's. (CBC)