Jambands.ca

The next person with a lawnchair...

Velvet

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I coming up today for the fest and I look forward to the chance to engage some local seated ottawinians on how much I don't give a shit if I'm standing in their way. I honestly can't believe that this issue has gone on this long, year after year without some organizer trying to find some kind of workable solution. Paying more for a lawnchair seems really unrealistic to me. I think that a lawnchair area would solve this problem quickly. Anyone who sets up a chair outside it, is on their own.

I also considered the Tshirt protest, but really, what is more effective than telling someone to go fuck themselves if they want to sit down and you want to stand in front of them? I look forward to the confrontations this year.

looks good phorbesie. maybe something at the top like 'Welcome to another awesome year at Bluesfest! Let's try to make it enjoyable for everyone' or something? something warm and fuzzy at the top will get them to read more.

and remember, font selection is important :)

are these gonna be quarter-sized sheets? (1/4 of a letter sized sheet?)

glad to see the out of towners will be out in full force, standing up for our standing up rights!

looks good phorbesie. maybe something at the top like 'Welcome to another awesome year at Bluesfest! Let's try to make it enjoyable for everyone' or something? something warm and fuzzy at the top will get them to read more.

If you can, print it in French on the other side of the paper. :)

Aloha,

Brad

and remember, font selection is important :)

are these gonna be quarter-sized sheets? (1/4 of a letter sized sheet?)

glad to see the out of towners will be out in full force, standing up for our standing up rights!

thanks. what font would you suggest? i'm not great at this stuff. and what size would be best? i'd think it'd have to be at least half a letter sized sheet. i can email you what i've got now, if you want to make some suggestions there? :)

whatever you do is fine, i didn't mean to hijack this. the font thing was a joke, i'm sure anything is good.

i've got a concall then lunch and then another meeting, so i won't be able to help anyways.

I just got a call that the letter I drunkenly wrote to the Citizen last night is being considered for publication. Which won't do much good, obviously.

I suggested the flyers last year, but the idea was to steal the Bluesfest logo and stuff and make the flyer appear to be an official set of rules. Confusion would certainly reign and it would force the organisers to announce from the stage that lawnchairs take precedence.

That said, I think these flyers are a good idea. I wish I had them last night so I could have given the lady I ran into a thousand paper cuts on her face.

I actually think there will be at least a mini-riot at the fest this year. I hope it doesn't come to that, but really, these people are truly ruining a great festival.

I think that a lawnchair area would solve this problem quickly. Anyone who sets up a chair outside it, is on their own.

I brought this up with the head of security on the Bluesfest facebook group, because they've tried this in the past and it's failed spectacularly. Basically he said they don't have enough security on staff to properly manage a "standing only" area. In terms of priorities it's pretty low on the list.

Bluesfest could of course hire more security.

And because most of the altercations I imagine would possibly land me in jail, I've decided to try this method: at any altercation I will look at the person and say (or scream at the top of my lungs an inch from their face, if they deserve it), "Tell it to security," and carry on completely ignoring that person.

V do you think i should put the bluesfest logo on? it's a great idea but i don't wanna get hunted down and sued or anything :)

and as for your comment to me that the flyers will do no good whatsoever, well at least i'm trying to do something instead of just being grumpy and thinking up things that i won't ever do.

Edited by Guest

And another thing. Two girls working at the beer tent told me not to tip because the money doesn't go to the volunteers but to the organizers. And they were pretty pissed about it. Can anyone confirm either way?

I asked about this on a "Bluefest volunteer" group on facebook and got the following reply from a 9 year volunteer veteran:

The tip money goes to pay for the volunteer appreciation party, so yes, it indirectly goes to the volunteers.

My feeling on this is that the organizers should be raking in enough cash to throw the party on their own dime.

Would still like to here feedback on this from past volunteers... Stephanie?

this is canadia, people don't sue here. go for it. stick an "at" in front of it. or just make it part of a sentence [bluesfest logo] is for dancing, not sitting. (or something better)

Just point, and the pinkstagator will fire off some fuÇk offs.

and this is why you are family to me. :)

i can't wait to read what happens! this will be the most exciting bluesfest ever, 2007 the year of the lawnchair revolt. please posts updates often, people!

And because most of the altercations I imagine would possibly land me in jail, I've decided to try this method: at any altercation I will look at the person and say (or scream at the top of my lungs an inch from their face, if they deserve it), "Tell it to security," and carry on completely ignoring that person.

hahahahahahaha, BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried this approach at the Folk Festival a couple of years ago, they called my bluff and security actually threatened to kick me out if I didn't sit down. I pissed off to another stage in anger. I've hated that fucking festival ever since.

:)

On the outside looking in, I think it is safe to assume that the festival experience is currently better for the lawnchair goer. In order for anything to change, that has to be reversed. The organizers should reserve a large portion of the venue starting at the stage and prohibit lawn chairs there. Make the chair folk sit at the back.

And for all you polite Ottawans, when someone asks you to move when you stand in front of them, politely decline.

And for all you polite Ottawans, when someone asks you to move when you stand in front of them, politely decline.

hehe it's not that simple...you then get yelled at, berated, beer poured on you, and it's pretty hard to enjoy the show. try it sometime!

For the record, I don't recommend anybody make the flyer as I suggested.

And I thought you made a good point phorbesie about how other standers will see the flyer and realise the scope of the problem. That could be very effective.

The person in the chair has learned that certain behaviour will cause someone standing in front of them to move. You have to change that. If someone is berating you and throwing beer at you, can you not talk to security? Clearly that person should be removed.