Jambands.ca

The next person with a lawnchair...

Velvet

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, So William and I start up a game of hack during Jonny Lang. We're playing along nice and polite listening to Jonny pour out some wicked blues, then suddenly out of nowhere, old lawn chair man dash's into the middle of our circle and sits firmly in a lawn chair. The arguments ensue (including me loosing my cool and calling him every foul name I could come up with, even faking a punch at him). So we say fine, and moved the game about ten feet in front of him. At least the other guys did, I stood directly in front of lawn chair man. When he moved, so did I. This got too boring and childish after a few minutes so I went back to our new hack location and just turned around every few minutes to give him the finger. Infuriating.

I and my mic stand were trying to get in front of the board for Los Lobos, and there was a couple (late 40s, I guess) in lawn chairs about a foot from the railing in front of the sound booth. I politely asked them if they could move forward a bit, and they asked, "How far?" I suggested a foot, and they moved, letting me squeeze in for a night of fun. :)

Aloha,

Brad

This just in - the lawn chair only section has been abolished. Joe Reilly was just on CBC talking about how if it were to continue it would need to be policed, most likely by the police, and nobody wants to go there. So now the best advice is 'common courtesy.'

Note that both he and the interviewer on CBC used a lot of the language used in the flyer Phorbesie drew up. Coincidence, maybe, but at least we have the right idea and the higher-ups at Bluesfest agree with us. Mark Monahan will be taking calls on Ontario Today at 1 PM.

call in folks! fight for standing only section!

that fest must rake in so much $$...if they aren't staffing security properly, maybe they do need to spend the coin (which is what they're trying to avoid) on a police presence, or an increased one if they already have one. and why the f does a lawnchair only section need to be policed? it requires those portable metal fences, sectioning off an area and 1 security guy per stage saying "oh, no chair? go on through my fine booty shaking friend" "you, with the chair, you cannot enter with your chair, them's the rules"

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.....how can it be that hard? or is my non experienced ass just not getting something.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.....how can it be that hard? or is my non experienced ass just not getting something.

This is what makes it so frustrating. It's a no brainer. They already "police" the main gate, making sure everyone has a bracelet and are able to perform bag checks. How hard is it to put a couple of volunteers on lawnchair duty? Even have a few in the section looking for rogue lawnchairs and then politely informing offenders of the policy and have them handout the flyer.

Educate the audience and they will mostly comply.

Bluesfest's designated lawn chair section folds

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 | 11:25 AM ET

CBC News

You can now stand up and shake it almost anywhere at Ottawa's annual summer blues music festival — including areas formerly set aside for people lounging in lawn chairs.

"You can bring chairs, but if people want to get up and dance, we will not be telling people to sit down," confirmed Bluesfest spokesman Joe Reilly on Wednesday.

"There is no longer a designated chair area in the park."

When Bluesfest kicked off at Lebreton Flats on July 4, organizers allocated space for people who brought their own chairs and wanted to stay seated.

But on Sunday, during the White Stripes performance, the area was flooded with boogying fans, and organizers realized police would be needed to keep the area lawn-chairs-only throughout the festival, which runs until July 15.

"We can't enforce this kind of a policy," Reilly said, "so the decision has been taken to strike that area and common courtesy is what should prevail."

He said two sections with designated seating as well as a wheelchair area are still available for those who want or need to sit without having their view blocked by people standing and dancing.

But aside from that, he said, "there's no guarantee of a sightline anywhere."

A group of individuals from the www.jambands.ca message board have even taken it upon themselves to produce a list of lawn chair dos and don'ts, which they have handed out to the crowd. It recently caught the eye of organizers, who have reprinted the flyer and distributed it themselves.

Good Job, wooo hooo