Jambands.ca

The next person with a lawnchair...

Velvet

strength in numbers... you need a large group of standers to not back down... a few people standing amongst a bunch of sitters, and the asshole scale tips the other way.

i think AD mentioned Dr. John earlier in the thread... the year i was up for bluesfest, i had an altercation at his set, even after the good doctor requested that we all stand.

fuckin' brush-cutted hockey dad. i did tell him to get security on me, but after a while, like i said, when there's only a few of us standing and everyone gives into the chair and sits, somehow the stander becomes the asshole.

the whole lawnchair thing is fucked. stick together people! stength in numbers!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I think these flyers are a good idea. I wish I had them last night so I could have given the lady I ran into a thousand paper cuts on her face.

laughed out loud, heehee

I actually think there will be at least a mini-riot at the fest this year. I hope it doesn't come to that, but really, these people are truly ruining a great festival.

then the sitters will really have the upper hand, won't they? what with all their chairs and such...

Maybe we should train the lawnchair douchebags in the same manner one might train a dog or cat. We could all use the psychology of Pavlov.

We could all carry little spray bottles... if we encounter a brigade of chairs, surrounded by people sardined- we could just quietly and inconspicuously spray the offending spacehogs from behind.

Only the people standing will see, the lawnchair people will soon have to stand to figure out why they are being sprayed.

We'll need a lot of spray bottles.

let me know how that goes basher ;)

it's about enjoying the show for me. if i spend the entire show being pelted and sworn at and can't concentrate on the show, what's the point of going in the first place? your argument makes sense in theory but not in real life.

I brought this up with the head of security on the Bluesfest facebook group, because they've tried this in the past and it's failed spectacularly. Basically he said they don't have enough security on staff to properly manage a "standing only" area. In terms of priorities it's pretty low on the list.

Bluesfest could of course hire more security.

There are so many 'heads of security' at bluesfest. My buddy is in charge of crowd control at the front of all the stages - ie. they pull body surfers out, assist people being crushed, watch for people throwing shit etc. But he can't leave where he's standing to go attend to lawnchair fisticuffs. There needs to be crowd control, or at least a giant corral for the lawnchair people.

speaking of hiring more security - i declined a begging offer to work stage security this year from said friend. if anyone knows me i'm not the beefiest dude. also last night as of 6:30 he still needed 9 people to help out. So yes, more security is needed, probably in all departments.

my idea from a few months ago would be to somehow get a fold up lifeguard chair and bring that in. and then get one for everyone on this board and all my other friends. sit them in a line across the grounds.

a friend of mine also suggested hammocks or chaise lounges

I just had a glorious vision of a massive wall of crowded standing people clapping and chanting "Pack up your chairs! Pack up your chairs!" as they gradually moved in on increasingly intimidated sitters.

With Sly & The Family Stone's "Stand!" blaring in the background...

Aloha,

Brad

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but you people are both smart and informed.

The one thing that should also be mentioned is that there are two or three distinct types of chairs and I cannot believe the nerve of some people taking in their huge recliner type chairs. I think some of the chairs there last night easily occupied the space of 5 or 6 people when you include the legs sprawled out on the footrest and the arms with 4 foot wingspans.

Talking about it last night I think we only have to wait about 2 more years. If they want to keep upping the attendance and making more money they can't unless they limit chairs, or find a (nother) new location.

I had a bold idea last night.

We get a team of 6-12 people and show up really early to setup about 20 or so lawnchairs at the front of BOTH stages.

Then we sell each seat with a number (like a coat check) to someone for the day. $40/seat. We stay on guard in shifts and watch the chairs and the space all around them all day to create a cozy atmosphere.

That would make a bunch of money to pay for some advertisement in the citizen to run for next year calling out for change.

I wanted to make t-shirts this year but my wedding and honeymoon kept my head out of planning for that.

I'm going to make a shirt for Gator to wear... he's especially good at telling people to fuck right off.

If there were a Jedi Order of telling people to FUCK OFF, he'd be Yoda.

Schwa-gestions: Don't move. Stand your ground.

That is all I've got, cause that's all i'd do. You want me moved, move me. If you know me, you know that's no easy task. Just grab the Gentlemonkey, get him nice and surly drunk and stick'm in front of someone reading a paper.

If enough of the standers stood their ground, the lawnchairs would show up in lesser numbers because of the unruly standers.

OR just don't go. That's why i'm not....I don't like jail.

Bold or queer?

davey-boy's cue to post photos of you in your dresses.

I'm not sure which disturbs me more: the fact that Booche has/had dresses (and has/had worn them), or the fact that Davey Boy took (or was given) pictures and has kept them...

Aloha,

Brad