Jambands.ca

The next person with a lawnchair...

Velvet

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all i know about that bit, is that when we were trying to find a spot, this one lady said 'you can't walk by here' cuz she didn't want people WALKING PAST her chair. seriously! i moved on but velvet and her had a little chat... then i was standing in a crowd wondering how to get back to velvet and JP and this other lady (who was ALSO STANDING) told me not to stand in front of her cuz she couldn't see (this was before the show had even started). i guess she didn't notice that there were about 29,999 other people at the show. good times. :crazy:

i had a run in as well - emergency people were trying to get through the crowd to get to someone, and a douchebag in a lawnchair wouldn't move for them! i was standing right beside him and yelled "Get out of your fucking chair!" and he slowly moved so the paramedics and a stretcher could get through.

I was so pissed at the lawnchair people tonight too Todd. Holy fuck, I'm right there with you.

Give them a separate section, off to the sides. Fine by me. It would also be nice if people were unselfish enough to fold up their seat if they stand up.

If anyone is doing the old standby letter to the editor, feel free to add my name to it.

I didn't have any run-ins but I did notice that there were a lot of lawnchairs. We were pretty far back and it was packed with them. I'm sure we could have all been twice as close without any chairs in the venue. Maybe allow them on weekends when the event runs all day but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to stand for weeknight shows. People can bring a blanket if they want to sit between bands.

It would also be nice if people were unselfish enough to fold up their seat if they stand up.

it sure would. that was nutty when they all stood up, with all that space and their chairs empty, but the rest of us were crushed like sardines along the sides. at that point i realized i'd be happier (for the rest of the week likely) at the back of the field where i don't have to see this shit. aaarrrrrggghhhh

We are going to create a lawnchair only section with no standing. If you chose to put your lawnchair in the opposite section and someone stands up in front of you, then we will not do anything about it. But we will try to monitor the lawn chair section as much as possible.

Please be aware, if for example you are in the 5th row and the firs 4 rows stand up we are not going to tell 50 or more people to sit down…

Mike Rouleau

Director of Operations

(p) 247-1188 ex. 232

(f) 247-2220

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest

I guess they changed their mind? Or this guy was simply wrong? I wonder. Who wants to call him?

Uggh. So it's liek that a the blues fest. That sucks, I am coming for my first time to the event on Tuesday and Wednesday to see moe., p-funk and Steve Miller..

I will be pissed if there is no dancing space...

That is the one thin I like about American shows everybody young and old is on their feet and into it..why is Canada so stereotypically reserved?

Either way I'll be there and will join in your fight against the lawnchair evildoers!

I left Dylan probably about 40 minutes into his set. I wasn't digging being boxed in without even having a chance to see anything. The screen sucked bigtime.

My sick surprise came when I tried to make my way through the main path to the main gate. From where we were, it was only about 75 feet away, but people were forced to stand in the pathways because lawnchairs took up the entire mutherfuckin' lawn!

On my way squeezing through the path, I saw a kid with a possible head injury being cared for by his guardians on the ground. People continued to squeeze by. I wondered how anyone with anything serious could get out? This venue is in no way wheelchair accessible. I saw a guy trying to get through the crowd with crutches, but the zombies ignored him.

When I got to the only screen being used to show Dylan to the 30+ thousand people, which happpened to be only 30 feet from the main gate, that's where everyone was standing without any care for people trying to get through. They just stood there watching the screen with arms crossed. I saw cops standing with arms crossed not considering there was some sort of problem here. There was no one keeping the pathways clear at all.

I am very concerned that if anything unforeseen happens, there will be mass panic, hysteria, and some serious injuries. I saw a major thunderstorm brewing off and wondered what a major wind and hailstorm would do to a crowd of this size with no way out.

Does anyone remember woodstock in 99 ? Bad things can happen when there is no crowd control.

I really hope this isn't what bluesfest has become because it isn't pretty nor is it about music.

bouche - totally agree. especially since the exits are halfway back in the field. there is only one direction for people to go if they are between the gates and the mbna stage, and it's a big funnel that is dangerous, especially with people sitting down everywhere.

i was not impressed last night or tonight with the sound level halfway back on the lawn. sooooo quiet. when i saw you i was heading to the back to get some space, but we ended up going back up and stood at the delay tower, between the stage and gates, just so we could hear everything.

There was no one keeping the pathways clear at all.

Excellent point. No one was in control of the situation. I saw maybe one security guard all night. I'm thinking this has to be a major fire warden violation.

One of the things I hated most about The Black Sheep stage at the old location was the inevitable clogging of the pathway. Now that's happening on a much, much bigger scale.

And as bad as I found it, Mike's right, it has to be an impossible nightmare if you have a handicap.

And another thing. Two girls working at the beer tent told me not to tip because the money doesn't go to the volunteers but to the organizers. And they were pretty pissed about it. Can anyone confirm either way?

If true, I call shenanigans on that. I'm getting my broom ...

Mea culpa ... I did bring a chair because I've been having hip problems lately. The moment the show started, not only did I stand up but I collapsed my chair and put it away.

Exactly right - I wish other people were as thoughtful as you with regards to their chairs.

i got an 'out of office' email response from the dude (until the 18th). ha.

ok we bitch about this every year (and with good reason). what can we do that might actually have an effect? picket? protest? get onstage and freak out? burn and loot? seriously.

maybe a petition would help if it was signed by the big name performing artists, if someone with a pass can get back there and explain the situation to them?

sigh.