Jambands.ca

Hillside Roll Call

scottieking

IN! For some hidden treats check out some of this shiz.

Sat 1pm Island Stage UH HUH!

Apostle of Hustle & some Do Make Say Thinkers

Sun 1pm Island Stage WHEN I GET OFFA' THIS MOUNTAIN! SONGS OF THE BAND

Colin Linden (host) with Tom Wilson, Tannis Slimmon, Jude Vadala, Stephen Fearing, Ron Sexsmith & friends

Sunday 6pm Lake Stage SLIPPERY 12-LANE HIGHWAY

Dave Clark (host) with special guests The Slip & friends

See y'all there!

Colin Linden (host) with Tom Wilson, Tannis Slimmon, Jude Vadala, Stephen Fearing, Ron Sexsmith & friends

See y'all there!

oh. my. god.

i will be at the 1pm songs of the band show. you will know me by the beatific smile i will be wearing.

ne, niffermouse and illiana are in for sunday, see you there.

I'll be there for the whole weekend - archiving it.

Im especially looking forward to Martin Sexton tonight and Ronny Sexsmith and Ani Difranco on Sunday. But as Ive said before, the best thing about Hillside is stumbling upon an unknown artist and being blown away.

And the food too. :D

workin daytime tomorrow but there tonight for Martin Sexton, Saturday night is crazy(I could stay in the Island tent from 6pm on - Rock Plaza Central>Besnard Lakes>Dragonette>Apostle of Hustle>Shout Out Out Out Out....jeebus it's gonna get messy...

And Sunday is solid - it's gonna be tough to find gaps to go back to the campsite!

Woo fuggin' Hoo!

See y'all there!

Daaaaamn!

Just goes to reaffirm my belief that Hillside is the best festival in Canada.

so? ... thoughts? or, are y'all still passed out in your tents?

Ani rocked, and Ron Sexsmith put on a great show too. The Slip was really fun (although they were disappointed with their set, Marc said afterwards) and they had a great time playing in their workshop with others (which they enjoyed much more) and people really enjoyed it.

Some food portions are getting chintzy, though.

my first hillside, and i dont want to miss another one - such a great festival, easily the best i've been to. size, comfort, vibe, quality of entertainment and amenities... just perfect.

musically, i feel kinda feel the same way about the slip sets as the boys did, i guess.. it wasnt bad, nor great... just felt a little sluggish to me.. [edit: should note, though, that they got a great response.. a nice standing O, considering mostly everyone was seated aside from a dozen or so skanks and others]

broke the promised land, life in disguise, soft machine, even rats and happy snails for those interested.

the slippery 12 lane highway was fucking incredible, though! a top 5 highlight of the weekend for me, for sure.. they locked in like freight trains at points, and the interaction was awesome... brad doin a call and answer with that singer with the wicked pipes was awesome.. loved when he did this run and hit a real high one at the end and she looks at him and shakes her head like "fuck!" - funny. she probably hit it, though. she had an insane voice. lewis melville was on fire that entire set, too.

shout out out out out was a ridiculous party once they finally got goin... made a rookie mistake and left "the show" back at the hotel, so they got a late start... but fucking raged it once they got goin - the entire tent rockin', dancin', throwin' down hard, everyone on picnic tables... i cant wait to find some youtube videos, that was some intense energy in the tent.

other musical highlights for me were apostle of hustle (crunchy!!!), the monsoon melodies workshop (sounded like east indian trance meets chicago blues), the last half of the golden dogs i saw was rockin' and a lot of fun - pulled up beside some dude who had never heard/seen them before and he was just about jumpin out of his skin... los campensinos i think took the surprise of the weekend award.. and mother mother kicked a lot of ass, too.

all in all, i didnt see anything i didnt like... didnt have to, if there was something that wasnt getting my attention, i'd easily find something that did.

absolutely an awesome weekend... totally wishin' i was packin' a bag and heading back to the island right about now.

Edited by Guest

all in all, i didnt see anything i didnt like... didnt have to, if there was something that wasnt getting my attention, i'd easily find something that did.

nicely put. really nice review. :D

i can only imagine the looks on Shout Out's faces when they realized ... "What?! I thot you had it!" ... oops. ;) Worked out fine, tho' and nobody was disappointed with the snafu. I've never seen so many people dancing on the tables in that tent before. Intense is a major understatement.

i can only imagine the looks on Shout Out's faces when they realized ... "What?! I thot you had it!" ... oops. ;) Worked out fine, tho' and nobody was disappointed with the snafu. I've never seen so many people dancing on the tables in that tent before. Intense is a major understatement.

hah! no kidding.. im sure they took any/all of their frustrations out on their instruments, and the crowd anticipation surely played into that mammoth energy. absolutely K-razy.

forgot to mention the gourds and guitars workshop, too... also a festival musical highlight for me... danced pretty much the whole set, and those were some great talents to listen to. awesome stuff.

anyone catch the besnard lakes? they were down a keyboardist but chromewaves said it was still good. really good.

Playing a keyboardist short, their show was slow and stately and if they weren't playing in a beer tent beside a lake at sunset, might have even been a bit sinister. Beneficiaries of some incredible sound from the PA (actually, the sound everywhere was some of the best I've ever heard in any setting), the Besnards' triple-guitar interplay and spot-on, soaring vocals harmonies made for a set that was beautiful and really kind of astonishing, even to someone who's seen them before.

besnardLakes-08.jpg

besnardLakes-05.jpg