Jambands.ca

One of the most hilarious examples of stupidity ever witnessed...

Patchoulia

Not that I have ever been in that situation, but she seems stoned.

You know when someone asks you a question and you start talking before you really know what you are going to say, and then before too long you forget what the question was, and your own personal bread crumb trail back isn't helping because what you are saying has nothing to do with the question.

S

Miss Teen USA hopeful a superstar after flub

Aug 29, 2007 04:30 AM

Antonia Zerbisias

Lauren Caitlin Upton may not have won Miss Teen USA but she may be the smartest adolescent in America.

Hard to believe, what with the 18-year-old's brain-dead moment on You Tube – more than seven million hits, if you count the parodies – as she stumbled in the skill-testing portion of last Friday's pageant.

When asked why, supposedly according to polls, one-fifth of Americans can't locate the United States on a world map, Upton replied:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us."

By the time this has run through its full news, blog and late-night comedy cycle, more people will have seen this clip than have watched all the beauty pageants on U.S. TV in the past year. She'll be a superstar.

What's more, Upton has already entered the inevitable "redemption" phase of the process, with talk show appearances and high-fives from network TV hosts.

Aw, come on. She's just a kid. And so all-American, blond-haired, blue-eyed, Barbie-doll pretty. She's also got grit, in the pageant game, she said in an interview last week, "to prove I was able to accomplish anything I put my mind to." She has it all going on.

As for entering Miss Teen USA, the incentives could have included the New York City apartment, the rich shoe wardrobe and a $30,000 (U.S.) diamond-encrusted watch – all of which went to the actual winner.

And who was that again? Oh yeah, Miss Colorado, Hilary Carol Cruz, who was challenged in the question round with a choice between Paris, Nicole and Lindsay.

After professing that none is a role model – only not so grammatically – she went on to say she prefers Paris "because, in the end. She showed that she knew what was right and what was wrong."

Meanwhile, Miss North Carolina Kaitlin Coble (second runner-up) said something about Canada being "down there."

Beauty pageants have never been called brainy pageants.

Despite feminist protests in the late `60s, and endless columnizing ever since, they continue not just to survive, but to thrive, all over the world. Sure, their Nielsen ratings are not what they used to be but, my guess is, that's because the show format is just outdated. You can see hotter girls competing in fiercer fashion on The Bachelor.

Upton inadvertently won by being dumb or, at best, struck dumb.

That's because, if she were smart – but not shrewd – she would have used the platform to pronounce on the sad state of U.S. public education, perhaps even President George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind program.

That would have earned her cheers from some progressives – who would also have trashed her for being in a bimbo contest. But she also would have been Dixie Chicked by the right-wing radio talk show hosts and Fox News types. So, damned if she did, damned if she didn't.

Now, she's just another not-so-dumb blonde waiting to sign the endorsement deals – for Maybelline or even map companies.

Bet that gets more coverage than cuts to education, which nobody is talking about.

Oh, and by the way, Upton placed third runner-up. That's fourth.

But most of the people attacking her intelligence online say she came in third.

Looks as if Americans can't count either.