Jambands.ca

Hybrid car advice?

Calamity Jane

As far as most vehicles today are concerned, diesel is dirtier than high octane unleaded gas in terms of emissions; however as pointed out earlier in the discussion, it packs more punch per liter, so the mileage gained cancels the comparison out a bit.

Though not yet well known in North America, Mercedes has developed what they call BlueTec diesel vehicles which emit heat, pure nitrogen and water vapor as exhaust. Its a pretty neat idea; it works, it does not increase the cost of production by much, and is already in use in Europe in many Mercedes cars and Trucks and Tractor-Trailers. You can buy BlueTec cars in North America now too, but the oil companies here don't want to distribute the BlueTec additive to the North American Market...

BlueTec will be available on the diesel Smart Cars by 2011; a good year to put off new car purchases until if you're able.

Of course I would prefer seeing a wind powered car... or seeing the Zenn legalized for street use in Canada...

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

was driving a Chevrolet Uplander van for a couple of weeks and didn't know it was a hybrid until I was told a few days later... nice ride, no lag, double the gas mileage of their previous non-hybrid (only need to hit the gas station every 2 weeks for a daily driven vehicle)

new VW van looks neat... ran into 2 people so far this winter who hate their late model VW cars though (both were stalled... dead in the snow... push no help... no heat... asked me if I wanted to buy one real cheap :)