Jambands.ca

Neil 26/11/2007

secondtube

Well the time had finally come. We've waited in heavy anticipation for a few months now. Arrived at Massey Hall a little early, finding a small crowd gathering outside the venue. The pouring rain was turning into a wet snow, the scalpers were demanding exhorborant prices, and sounds of Neil warming up could be heard meandering through the chilly air.

We made it in the venue with enough time to have another gander of the beautiful basement and bar area....Finding our seats just in time to hear the first notes of Peggy's set.

I noticed my seat was in direct sightline with Neil, one row back from front row balcony. Sitting with unbearable anticipation, I sat waiting as the venue filled up to capacity. Tickets were impossible to find out front, for any amount of money. One couple had $600 to pay for a pair, and I ended up seeing them at set break; they dished out $850 in the end for a pair in the Gallery.

An overhead message from stage proclaimed "no pictures and sound recordings, as it may interfere with the recording by the band, and Neil has pre chosen the songs....(so dont be a dumb@ass and shout out requests all night)....

The lights dimmed, and Neil took the stage to the biggest ovation i think i've ever been part of. The respect and love was everywhere!

As Neil sat down, the crowd reluctantly took their seats, and the opening notes of From Hank to Hendrix began their way up the walls of the Acoustically Perfect Massey Hall.

Shivers tore down my body. (and they are again now, recounting the memory). "...Here I am with my old guitar, doing what i do..." I was at an absolute bliss. A feeling I haven't received from Music in quite some time....probably since Big Cypress. I knew at that moment, no amount of money justified what we were witnessing.

As Neil played the final notes "can we make it together, can we still stand side by side, can we make it last, like a musical ride..." it began to set in to myself and those around me, Neil is making it last like the most amazing musical ride!!!!

The crowd was elated...some hootin' and hollerin', others simply clapping like it was going to be the last time they were ever going to clap....nothing was quieting us down, until Neil started the line "Back in the old folky days..."

and the quietest part of the night began. I heard whispers of "what song is this" from the casual fans, and gasps of amazement from folks like myself...But once Neil got settled into the song (all 9 minutes of it or so) you could hear a pin drop.

To be very honest, after he concluded Ambulance, the rest of the first set was a blur. I could have left at that point, and have been more than happy.

Sad Movies to follow was a treat. I'm not familiar with the song, nor do I know what album its from. But hearing your favorite artist playing totally new music (to my ears) is a pleasure to say the least.

At that point, Neil got up and strolled over to his piano, and started the opening note to Man Needs A Maid. It was funny to hear the power coming out of the little keyboard, when he started the "pipe organ" part of the song....hearing it raw, without all the overproducing found on the studio version is exactly what I expected the song to sound like.

Hearing Harvest to follow, even though i knew the set list, it was like he was playing to every individual in the crowd. We all were hearing our favorites, from the popular stuff, to the rarities.

Knowing what was coming up, I had this big warm embrace go over me....the thoughts of TimmyB ready to hear a song that I know will take him to another place made me feel great to be apart of it. "Now i'm going back to Canada...." was an obvious crowd highlight. If it was up to me, i wouldn't let him leave!

The Cowgirl in the Sand/Old Man to close the set had even the most casual Neil Fan singing out loud. I couldn't find anything but smiles as I walked out for set break.

Knowing what was coming up for the second set, I couldn't believe how happy I already was. The 2nd set wasn't being changed up, so we were all pretty prepared for what we were going to hear....but little did I know what Old Black was going to sound like in the halls of Massey!

Crisp, clear, and Loud.

Neil powered through The Loner / Everybody Knows this is Nowhere. Two of his oldest songs, then followed it with two of his newest songs, Dirty Old Man and Spirit Road. The amazing thing, for me, is I thought they were all musically brilliant, albiet written 25 years apart!

Bad Fog of Loneliness and Winterland brought us back in time once again....watching Neil float effortlessly through his catalogue was a treat. Each song sounded flawless.

My second set highlight came next with Oh Lonesome Me. I can't believe how much i got off on this song...never one of my favorites, it sure is now....Amazing how a live performance of a song can totally change the way you view and hear a song.

Two more from his new album closed the set, The Believe than the 16 minute powerhouse, No Hidden Path. I dont think the crowd was prepared for the onslaught that was No Hidden Path. Comparable to the power of Down by the River or Cortez the Killer, in my mind, No Hidden Path has placed itself in the likes of Neils best power songs.

Coming out for the encore of Cinnamon Girl / Like a Hurricane well, at that point, he could have farted in a microphone for encore and I would have been happy....By far, my favorite Neil show ever. By far, my favorite Massey Hall show ever.

On the way home, George and I sat silent. What could be said, i dont know. Finally, as i dropped George off at home, he said, I'm not sure who was more amazed, me, or Tommy Swick and Gord Downy, who sat in front of me.

Neil amazes ALL!

(sorry for the length, i haven't had this post concert buzz in years!)

Edited by Guest

Hear hear ...

That was a fantastic description of last night's magic. Just thinking about it is giving me those shivers up the spine again.

To see Neil so immersed in each and every one of the songs he performed was intense. This is NOT A CASH-GRAB TOUR. He is doing it for the love of the performance and the music. To be able to see his facial expressions and reactions to the warmth the crowd was feeding back to him was awesome.

You're right, No Hidden Path was HUGE! Old Black was in heaven going off in Massey Hall.

Hey, did anyone catch Neil's tour bus? It's fucking sweet! Gotta get some pics of it tonight, or find some online.

Basher: Did they allow actual cameras to be brought in and used last night?

Lots of people up front had 'em. Just keep the FLASH OFF!

A buddy of mine was getting pissed off in the acoustic set where he was sitting because the person kept taking pictures and their camera "Beeped" with every shot. Turn the sound off on your cameras too .