Jambands.ca

RIP Ike Turner

bagochips

I remember when Ike Turner was on Letterman back in the early 90's. Letterman asked Ike why he hit Tina. Ike said: "Women be thinkin' too much". Sure Ike was a trailblazer, but he was a wife beater too. Still, R.I.P. to this man and important musical legend, even with his troubled and unforgivable past.

US soul legend Ike Turner, the former husband of Tina Turner, has died at the age of 76.

He died at his home near San Diego, California. There was no immediate word on the cause of death.

He rose to fame in the 1960s, and is best remembered for his musical partnership and stormy marriage with Tina Turner.

She said he abused her, but he somewhat rehabilitated his image in his later years, winning a Grammy in 2007.

"Ike Turner passed away this morning. He was at his home," said Scott Hanover, an official at the performer's management company.

'Demonised'

Turner, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is credited by many music historians with making the first rock 'n' roll record in 1951.

Turner was also known as a prolific session guitarist and piano player.

After marrying Tina Turner in 1959, the pair produced a string of hits, including A Fool In Love, It's Gonna Work Out Fine.

The song River Deep Mountain High, produced by Phil Spector, was one of their most successful singles.

But Mr Turner will be forever remembered for his turbulent relationship with Tina Turner, the BBC's Peter Bowes in Los Angeles says.

In 2001, Mr Turner denied his ex-wife's claims that he abused her and expressed frustration that he had been demonised in the media.

In 2007, he won a Grammy award in the traditional blues album category for Risin' With the Blues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7141489.stm

Edited by Guest

I bet the lot of you that many of your favourite bands are not exactly the most upstanding of citizens. Wouldn't be surprised if, let's say Led Zeppelin, just for the hell of it, hadn't slept with drugged-up underage groupies on many an occasion. Isn't that rape, legally?

Page had a long-term affair with an underager in the 70's.

Miles Davis beat more than one of his wives. I don't mourn or pay my respects to that part of the man. I respect the great gift to world culture that is his music. Not that I'm putting Ike in that class, but he is one of rock's great originators.

Kindness and creativity are not linked in any way, unfortunately.

Work can always be separated from personal life as well. His work was highly respected, he won at least one Grammy, he created an act and persona that was legendary (Tina), inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, recorded the first 'rock and roll' song...

I bet when you listen to Proud Mary you listen to the whole thing.

Work can always be separated from personal life as well. His work was highly respected, he won at least one Grammy, he created an act and persona that was legendary (Tina), inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, recorded the first 'rock and roll' song...

I bet when you listen to Proud Mary you listen to the whole thing.

I have to agree with you. As much as Ike Turner is a total bastard of a man personally his importance in the development of the formation fo Rock is important and undeniable. His song "Rock 88" recorded with the King of Rhythm is considered by man to be the first rock song.

His guitar playing was also widely influencial especially to Jimi Hendrix.

So much like Ted Nugent hate the man love the music.

Sometimes life is like that.