Jambands.ca

CD Exchange on Rideau closing

AD

Yeah seriously its a shame a store like that can't continue. The article has a quote about the 30-50 year olds keeping them afloat.

Kids just don't care about artists anymore, that what the music industry needs to address.........

And fuck yes mp3's sound like shit. I can't imagine being a fan of a band and only having copied stuff....

Kids just don't care about artists anymore, that what the music industry needs to address.........

And fuck yes mp3's sound like shit. I can't imagine being a fan of a band and only having copied stuff....

getting stuff without going to a store doesn't mean copying or downloading mp3's. ever hear of Amazon.ca? I order shit off of there all the time. Futureshop.ca has great delivery service too.

Also, there is alot of crap that comes out and it's over priced. I'm a big fan of the dvd/cd combo's. Springsteen, Wilco, NOrah Jones all have released dvd/cd combos for under $20.

Radiohead also proved that you can give away music and make a number 1 record. I don't have sympathy for music stores. They aren't doing anything innovative unless they take it online (like CD exchange is doing) and make it easy and cheap to shop online.

If I remember correctly, back in highschool, CD Exchange or CD Warehouse was a mail order business for CD's. I used to buy a big catalog from the magazine shop and order CD's at a fraction of the price that I'd pay in the store.

Did anyone do that?

No I think that downloading proves they like the music, but have no affinity to the artist.

Amazon.ca is great and all, but you can't beat the price point or the thrill of used cd shopping at a good store like CDE where the selection is really great even for used stuff.

I agree about the cd dvd combos, but a little honesty would go a long way. When I bought the new Wilco, there was no other version at the store. Had I known for another $3 I could have gotten the dvd I would have kept shopping. Also the Springsteen Seeger Sessions was particularly maddening as each subsequent release contained more and more bonus stuff that they did NOT announced would be released. I bought three different editions, selling the old ones to you know who? CDE.

I wonder if there will be deals, or if they'll just put everything in storage since they're going 100% online.

he was just on the radio saying "50% off everything in the store, everything must go"

Store closes on January 31.

So if I understand correctly:

1. Mp3s sound poor

2. Downloaders have no affinity to the artist whose music they download

How would you place those people, like me, who listen to records and Mp3s? Records sound "poor" by some people's standards but the package medium is more interesting than a CD. I have to buy it in a store, I enjoy browsing records, but I don't enjoy browsing CDs. I buy albums off Itunes and I also download copied music.

Which is to say, do I only have affinity for the artists whose records I buy and not for those whose albums I download?

the "Mp3's sound like crap" is so fucking lame (nice pun btw). Mp3's do not sound like "crap". They are lossy, but they are far from crap. I'd say that if you can't enjoy music a little lossy then you're asking for too much.

I would also suggest that old radio broadcasts and old recordings sound like crap. Old tv shows from the 50's look and sound like crap, but I don't think anyone was complaining then.

We'll have much better encoding and streaming in the future when bandwidth issues are not a concern. Basically, we are in the infancy of digital music delivery and sharing (between digital devices).

I just watched a PBS special on the Pioneers of Television and the episode was highlighting the Tonight Show over the years. You should see how shitty the tonight show looked and sounded in the 50's. Now it's in HD.

I know that cd's sound better than mp3's. there is no doubt, but for the convenience and portability of transferring between devices in an encoded format, I think we're at a pretty damn good spot.

It'll only get better.

Also the Springsteen Seeger Sessions was particularly maddening as each subsequent release contained more and more bonus stuff that they did NOT announced would be released. I bought three different editions, selling the old ones to you know who? CDE.

I didn't know that. I wonder which version we have?

The article has a quote about the 30-50 year olds keeping them afloat.

The owner Rob is a friend of mine, and happens to be a pretty big head. He likes selling cool music. But hipsters and young folk get their music online now. The only people paying and still buying cds are the older folks, which means selling a lot more adult contemporary pop music.

It is too bad. I know Rob is sad about it, putting so many years into it only to just let it go.

Oddly enough, I'm on my way to a record-store's Opening party in an hour. Either they've got their market research ALL wrong, or there's still a space for the right kind of recorded media sales. They sell about 50% vinyl (50/50 new & used) and 50% CDs (a mix of new and used), but I think they are careful about what they buy. Mostly things people will want to own an original copy of, not the latest Britney offering.

Should be fun too, Julie Doiron, Miracle Fortress and Think About Life are playing at it.