Jambands.ca

Grateful Dead - Hamilton 1992

Esau.

For anyone interested, there are new AUD sources for The Grateful Dead - Copps Coliseum '92 recently added to archive. In my opinion they sound better then the other AUDs.

1992-03-20

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1992-03-20.fob.schoeps.gems.76478.sbeok.flac16

1992-03-21

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1992-03-21.fob.schoeps.evens.gems.76484.sbefail.flac16

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no liquidblue bears.

booche claims to have seen a camel outside the venue however

(no lame jokes about camel cigarettes please)

This is true. booche did you see some harem with people dressed in middle eastern garb and at least one maybe 2 camels??

I definitely saw that. True, I was tripping the whole weekend myself, but I have not met anybody at these shows who saw the same thing.

I did not know or live in Hamilton prior to these shows coincidentally. the only time I had been to hamilton before was seeing Rush at Copps on the Big Windows tour.

I did not really go anywhere except hang out in the parking lot in front of Copps.

These were my first shows and needless to say, I was in utter awe of the whole weekend. The City was just the vague background. The hippies, the hot hippy girls, the hippy merch, the oseh shalom bus, the veggie burritos, the doses, the herb, the smell of incense and patouli, the above mentioend camels(whatever the hell that was) etc... blew my freakin mind.

THEN going inside and "experiencing" the Dead live. I must say I was only familiar with a handful of songs they played but everyone else seemed to know every word. The Vibe meter was going of the charts for me. I didn't even know you could dance to their music prior. The fluidity of their playing, the melding of songs, DRUMS AND SPACE, The way people were so familiar with the songs and the way they would react to certain intro's and choruses... all made me feel as though I had been missing out on some uber hip secret society.

Anyway, I was converted that weekend and managed to cram about 50 shows in after these until 95.

One note I have heard on how Hamilton reacted to the scene was that the city was very accomodating to the circus coming to town and even let people camp for free on chedoke golf course which is 5 mins from downtown. Living in Hamilton now I find that fact incredible. Especially since I used to jog thru there every day.

I also heard they had a "welcome deadheads" banner at the police station.

very true. unlike so many dead shows in the states, the cops in hamilton were very relaxed and almost accomodating. the lot across from copps became a full on shakedown. if you ventured outside of it with anything that the cops figured you shouldn't have, you were just directed back into the lot. the city took a non-confrontational approach and it worked really well. really good vibe to the shows.

i miss dead shows. i miss the fat man.

I should also mention all those americans.

I def experienced some genuine kindess from a lot of the people I met. there was some snobiness too. not every hippy was so accomodating to a "newbie' such as myself.

the kids camping in the car next to ours were like.

"Yeah the dead's cool, but I'm more into this band..." and gave me 3 cassettes of a phish show.

so my first dead shows were also my introduction to Phish, who I also fell head over heals for.

The show I recieved was this one...

07-20-91 Arrowhead Ranch, Parksville, NY

1: Chalk Dust Torture, Foam, The Squirming Coil, Llama, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony-> Suzy Greenberg, The Landlady, Bathtub Gin, My Sweet One, David Bowie

2: Buried Alive, Reba, Caravan, Dinner and a Movie, Flat Fee, Golgi Apparatus, Stash, TMWSIY-> Avenu Malkenu-> TMWSIY, You Enjoy Myself, Rocky Top

E: Possum

With The Giant Country Horns.

Hey kc, i had a few buddies totally trying to turn me on to Phish at that time too. In fact from the Fall Tour the previous year as well. I turned down heading to Buffalo for the Phish gig at the roller skating rink in '91 ... accounts of that one sound pretty damns funny.

The Dead shows in Hamilton (90 and 92) were a blast. The scene was so completely relaxed. So many friends and the entire Ontario deadhead population out in full force. In '92 we got some snow flurries before one of the gigs IIRC. We had an awesome time setup selling Guatamalan sweaters and stuff on a prime corner on Shakedown. I don't recall any negativity around those shows. Maybe in '92 after the second show there seemed to be a LOT of trash lying around, but that's all I can think of.

Fun shows, great music (esp 90) and wicked scene.

I've got some pics somewhere around here. Anyone got a scanner?

Yeah, I felt so behind the times trying to get into the dead scene while all these younger hippies had already moved onto the glory that was Phish at that time.

In 90 I actually had a ticket to see one of the copps shows. I choose not to go so I could finish a high school assignment instead. I never did finish that assignment in time and regretted that decision ever since. to think I could have had 2 more years of dead shows to see... if only...

Edited by Guest