Jambands.ca

Movies?

c-towns

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved 3:10 as well New Rider. I think some people felt there was a little too much Hollywood to it and while that is a valid complaint, I still think they pulled that shit off well. We rented Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee on the weekend. Its an HBO movie that I am sure you would dig buddy. And I am looking forward to seeing The Assassination Of Jesse James.

As for theater movies, you certainly dont need to see Cloverfield on the big screen but if you do make sure you sit near the back. There are many tales of motion sickness and chicks dont seem to dig it as much as dudes.

The Assassination of Jesse James just came out on DVD

Anyone seen this yet? I've heard mixed reviews. I loved 3:10 To Yuma.

I thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was pretty good. I have the original recorded and will watch it this week. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a very good psychological western. Casey Affleck is fantastic and his motivations are suspect. Robert Ford wasn't a whole lot different that the man he killed.

I saw There Will Be Blood yesterday and holy schnickies was it awesome. Better than No Country For Old Men.

For those of you who have seen the movie, was I supposed to be laughing during the last scene? I was the only one in the theatre who was and was wondering if that made me some kind of sicko.

Were you laughing and smoking a cigar in the front row a la De Niro in Cape Fear?

There Will Be Blood ain't an easy film by any stretch. The motivations of Daniel Day Lewis' Daniel Plainview are shrowded, intentionally so. No doubt this is the kind of film that will be studied in film classes. My wife thought she didn't like it (she certainly wasn't entertained for the most part), but continued to analyze Blood for a week after the fact and now believes it is one of the most thought-provoking films in years. It offers no easy "black and white" answers, but lots of grey. It reminded me of Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven, at least in the way it was shot.

Watched it last night. Brilliant character study, and as Jaimoe said, a very well done psychological drama. It's not an action flick, so temper your expectations accordingly - a lot of people seem to not like the length or the pacing. Both worked fine for me, but I'm also ever-hungry for any re-telling of that story. (Incidentally, the 1986 TV-movie "The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James" featuring Johnny Cash as Frank James and Kris Kristofferson as Jesse James is worth watching if you can dig up a copy. June Carter Cash is in it too - how fucking cool is that?)

I really enjoyed the re-make of 3:10 too. The Assassination ... is a very different kind of movie, though. Worth a go, at least.

And there's a real menace and air of dangerous unpredictablility with Brad Pitt's portrayal of Jesse. He more than holds his own in scenes with the celebrated Casey Affleck (Jesse is almost a co-star to Affleck's Bob Ford).

Worth noting to all fans of No Country for Old Men, Deadwood, John From Cincinnati and The 4400 amongst many others, the great and really busy character actor Garrett Dillahunt (who played both the sadistic Wolcott and outlaw Jack McColl in Deadwoood) is excellent in Jesse James as one of the James Gang.

Watched it last night. Brilliant character study, and as Jaimoe said, a very well done psychological drama. It's not an action flick, so temper your expectations accordingly - a lot of people seem to not like the length or the pacing. Both worked fine for me, but I'm also ever-hungry for any re-telling of that story. (Incidentally, the 1986 TV-movie "The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James" featuring Johnny Cash as Frank James and Kris Kristofferson as Jesse James is worth watching if you can dig up a copy. June Carter Cash is in it too - how fucking cool is that?)

I really enjoyed the re-make of 3:10 too. The Assassination ... is a very different kind of movie, though. Worth a go, at least.

Just watched this tonight, and must add my voice to the chorus of praise here. Quite enjoyable.

Watched it last night. Brilliant character study' date=' and as Jaimoe said, a very well done psychological drama. It's not an action flick, so temper your expectations accordingly - a lot of people seem to not like the length or the pacing. Both worked fine for me, but I'm also ever-hungry for any re-telling of that story. (Incidentally, the 1986 TV-movie "The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James" featuring Johnny Cash as Frank James and Kris Kristofferson as Jesse James is worth watching if you can dig up a copy. June Carter Cash is in it too - how fucking cool is that?)

[/quote']

Just watched this tonight, and must add my voice to the chorus of praise here. Quite enjoyable.

Thanks for the reviews, pumped to see this even more, I had forgotten about it...ha ;)

we watched the assisanation last night, it reallllllllly drags. very slow pacing if you ask me, really good film overall, just too long im a junkie for jesse james stories too, like some of you who posted above, but this film was just a tad too slow for me at almost 3 hrs.

anyone watch the Invasion? modern remake of the invasion of the body snatchers, that was pretty good, so was Sunshine, weird premise, but really good movie. we rent way too many movies around here lately