Jambands.ca

Massive fire on Queen St.West!!!!

The Chameleon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as for a Heritage Loss hopefully they will get some Wonderful Heritage Stone Masons in there to restore the brink and stone buildings :P haha and I seen it this morning when I was at the top of the Scotish Tower at Casa Loma and was like "Wow Toronto is producing alot of smog and other gasses today, Then I was like WOW Thast not anything normal!!"

I agree with you 100% Jaimoe, Toronto is a wonderful city filled with much heritage(being quite young in the grand picture) and it seems like Toronto doesnt want to embrase the heritage and is soon off to find the NEW, thing, I love heritage and enjoy embrasing it, being as its my trade in all, I hope Toronto relaises wht history it has and keeps it for another 100 years

In addition to the obvious damage and the heritage losses it is a huge blow to independent business in T.O. That block hosted a diverse & vibrant group of local, independent businesses and managed to resist the corporate gentrification that seemed to have occurred both to the east and west of it. Hopefully that can be recreated in the reconstruction but small businesses generally can't bounce back as easily after events like this.

It's a blessing no one was injured or killed. Makes the whole affair somewhat easier to cope with and move on from.

the block is designated as a heritage site, thus when new construction begins, it has to adhere to the zoning and heritage design of the area.

is that true? when a heritage building in ottawa collapsed in october there was a lot of debate about this - yes, the heritage act means that preservation / restoration / renovation has to comply with the rough heritage design of the building, but i think it was resolved that rebuilding was a grey area.... if anyone knows something definitive that would be great. i tried to read the heritage act but it's all legalese to me.

same thing in Guelph. an historic building downtown burned down in the Fall, and while they tried to save some of the structure during rebuilding, they couldn't do it safely. from what i understand, the owners are basically free to do what they want now.

also, during renovations to the old guelph arena which city hall is now expanding into, council decided to keep one old stone wall - about 70 ft long and 2 storeys high. originally estimated at $1M, the cost of saving that wall has skyrocketed to well over $2M. so, as much as people may want to save old stuff, or rebuild in a similar style, its often cost prohibitive.

the block is designated as a heritage site' date=' thus when new construction begins, it has to adhere to the zoning and heritage design of the area.[/quote']

is that true? when a heritage building in ottawa collapsed in october there was a lot of debate about this - yes, the heritage act means that preservation / restoration / renovation has to comply with the rough heritage design of the building, but i think it was resolved that rebuilding was a grey area.... if anyone knows something definitive that would be great. i tried to read the heritage act but it's all legalese to me.

Key things Vaughan said was that the entire block is a heritage site, not just a few buildings. Thus, he said that anything that is rebuilt has to comply with the heritage of the block. I hope to fucking god he's right. What we don't need is another Queen Street West, University to Spadina raise, destroy and build a gentrified piece of glass and steel.

I heard one of the owners of Duke Cycle on CBC this morning and he says they plan on reopening the store on the same spot. The Duke family owned their building (the one that completely collapsed) so it should be interesting to watch what happens.

I'd hate to think that this was some developer's way of circumventing the heritage site restrictions for some closet-condo tower to spring up.

I heard one of the owners of Duke Cycle on CBC this morning and he says they plan on reopening the store on the same spot. The Duke family owned their building (the one that completely collapsed) so it should be interesting to watch what happens.

I'd hate to think that this was some developer's way of circumventing the heritage site restrictions for some closet-condo tower to spring up.

I think developers should be held criminally responsible when they destroy or significantly alter old and historic buildings, like they are in England. And why couldn't a Wal-Mart, Shopper's or a Home Depot burn down instead of old buildings. If only to dream...

I think developers should be held criminally responsible when they destroy or significantly alter old and historic buildings, like they are in England.

hence the heritage act and numerous parts of criminal law, such as arson, insurance fraud, etc.

I think developers should be held criminally responsible when they destroy or significantly alter old and historic buildings' date=' like they are in England. [/quote']

hence the heritage act and numerous parts of criminal law, such as arson, insurance fraud, etc.

The heritage act is relatively new and doesn't have a lot of teeth. Also, the OMB should be disbanded and cities should have the power to control what gets built and saved. There are few cities in this country that aren't threatened, heritage/history wise.

well, you want to make altering heritage buildings a criminal act, and im not sure i agree with that.... sure it can be a drag but prison and all that, for questionable (to some) architecture?

Not at all. I love the MARS development at the corner of College and University in Toronto. Some altering works, but more times than not a hack developer promises to keep part of the heritage and all that is left is a small chunk of the facade. The outside of a building is one thing, but most are just as good in the inside.

How great would you feel as a Canadian if Old City Hall was raized (like it almost was) in order to expand the Eaton Centre?

well' date=' you want to make altering heritage buildings a criminal act, and im not sure i agree with that.... [/quote']

i think it's ridiculous. but, im sure Jaimoe was exagerating to make a point. I hope he was.

Destroying a heritage building should be a criminal act, like it is in many parts of the world that actually embrace history. Altering is too grey for charges.