Jambands.ca

What is Kitchener like?

Guest Low Roller

Kitchener has had its fair share of social problems (ie. high unemployment) but it seems to be on the up & up. Also it has a wicked farmers market, a really good dim sum restaurant, the boathouse in victoria park, Centre in the Square, and it is the original home of legendary rock band Helix.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kitchener has had its fair share of social problems (ie. high unemployment) but it seems to be on the up & up. Also it has a wicked farmers market, a really good dim sum restaurant, the boathouse in victoria park, Centre in the Square, and it is the original home of legendary rock band Helix.

Hilarious. Everyone around here seems to have a connection to Helix.

Yeah Fisher, Columbia, Weber and one other street all run e,w,s, and n. It is friggin maddening. I went to school there for four years and don't really have too many great things to say about the entire area (K or W or C). If it was up to me I'd live in Guelph and commute to K which is only about 20 mins. Tungsten does it every day.......

I'm not sure about what Hal is implying about the roadways...

Really? Really?

The two main streets go north' date=' south, east and west. They cross-over and turn into one another like 5 times. Its absolutley insane. Anyone from out of town, except for Schwa., has a very difficult time getting used to it. [/quote']

Oh yeah, the 2 main roads have a North, South, East and a West....but i can use a map ;)

yup. there's another one in Uptown Waterloo now too (Kitchener is Downtown, Waterloo is Uptown...could also be called dirty and clean) called Different Strokes specializing in smoking accessories and sex toys. It's lovingly called the Bong and Dong in smoker circles (ok, just a few of us)

Kitchener does have some awesome stuff, namely the farmer's market, (which was already mentioned but I would like to reiterate that), a wicked spice store on King E right by the market, beautiful hiking/biking trails by the river, (which is clean enough to swim in and fish from) the Word on the Street Festival, the Multi-cultural fair, a wicked library and the Circle in the Square which gets good shows like James Brown!! (RIP)

I've lived in KW since about 1983 and it has treated me well. It's big enough, yet small enough. I like the farmers' markets and the abundance of ethnic food. I like the people that I've met over the years. I like the fact that I can walk to work if I want to. I like how easy it is to get from KW to lots of other places. I like how diverse the region is (culturally, economically, etc.)

I don't particularly like this region in the summer. It gets hot and the air gets bad, and the only real water is in the name Waterloo. Downtown Kitchener is sketchy, but improving. I wish this region was more "hip" and I wish it had more of a "crunchy granola" feel to it, but on the whole, it's treated me and the family well.

Peace, Mark