Jambands.ca

What's your thoughts on bands selling their songs for commercials?

wavinginthewind

EDIT to ADD: I think that if you indorse something you believe in, fine, Pizza Hut...well, I think that kinda sucks, there is nothing good about pizza hut...greasy bad food...way to help everyone get fatter!

I eat pizza and I'm not fat. Explain.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT to ADD: I think that if you indorse something you believe in' date=' fine, Pizza Hut...well, I think that kinda sucks, there is nothing good about pizza hut...greasy bad food...way to help everyone get fatter!

[/quote']

I eat pizza and I'm not fat. Explain.

I don't believe that you eat pizza hut. They almost deep fry their crust. I thought you had taste :)

I'm not talking about all pizza...pizza is great...I'm talking about pizza hut. There are some in almost every country, all equally nasty. (In korea they put sweet potota on theirs, in Mexico, cream cheese and cheese whiz). bleh

Oh yeah Zimmy' date=' what about Bob doing commercials for Victoria Secret? Or his schilling for XM Radio? I am sure there are some payoffs there......[/quote']

I think that's funny. His old dragon voice and wrinkly face singing about silks and unmentionables.

Isn't Bob just endorsing a standard of beauty that is unattainable by 95% of the population, forcing fat people to get even fatter in an attempt to self-medicate by stuffing their faces with Pizza Hut?!!

And Hal, I hope that C'mon was a shameless plug for Ian Blurton. If not you clearly only read Rich Stadium......

Nope. Referring to myself. Just cuz I dont agree with you on this, doesnt mean you can lump me in with "high, holy hippie-types." I dont even own a bike, I eat at McDicks from time to time and I watch a ton of TV.

If I were to generalize as you have Id say that its a shame everyone on this board seems old and jaded and seems to just take the other side because they have gotten sick of having morals and ethics (and its a lot easier to just go along with things than it is to question). But would that really be fair?

Edited by Guest

Oh yeah Zimmy' date=' what about Bob doing commercials for Victoria Secret? Or his schilling for XM Radio? I am sure there are some payoffs there......[/quote']

I think that's funny. His old dragon voice and wrinkly face singing about silks and unmentionables.

Isn't Bob just endorsing a standard of beauty that is unattainable by 95% of the population, forcing fat people to get even fatter in an attempt to self-medicate by stuffing their faces with Pizza Hut?!!

I have no idea what bob was doing...but I heard that he got free bras for that. No more moobs.

So you're watching TV or at a movie or listening to the radio and hear a song under a commercial. Perhaps by some strange stretch of fate, the commercial got your attention with the image from the get go...then the music would be entirely unimportant, but the focus of this thread is the sound - the music - the SONG.

It caught your attention. It was the magic in the mix and for that hideous amount of generated revenue from advertising the artist must be paid. To make a great sounding piece of audio, there is much work - audio engineers, producers, executives to get it to the ad company that are all paid based of the revenues that are paid to the Artist.

It's one thing for Feist to have her song on an Apple commercial, but it's another thing entirely for her to write, tour, and produce FOR Apple. Selling out is different than making money back from an artist's endeavours.

With our fragmented attention, advertisers need to grab our attention.

I think a bigger question would be why do you care about the song/sellout if you're watching the commercial? If it offends you then why not just get a netFlix membership and avoid the advertising?

Well there's music licencing in movies too. Every time you hear a song in a movie the artist has to be paid for THAT too, as that's another form of advertising. Strategic product placement and other corporate interests are at play all around us in the media. The artists that keep our attention either in the forefront of our consciousness or help distract us to identifying with a subtle atmosphere and relax a little are both at work to control our media experiences.

It is entirely necessary that artists be paid for their work and that new artists be given a chance to keep our attention and distract us long enough to help their careers.

Or...you can just go read a book and not succumb to advertising whatsoever and have nothing to squak about, WITW.

thanks for the discussion all the same.

Hey Northern Wish! That place in fredericton was a 'Brazilian Pizza' joint...it woulda been funny if i found a hair in my pizza (the only time that would have been funny)

great idea...I've siggested it many times to other pizza places. It had a slightly sweet crust and cream cheese in the crust.