Jambands.ca

CTV obtained the rights to the HNIC theme

Jaimoe

I just heard this announced on TSN. I can imagine CBC sports head-honchos will not be pleased when TSN airs the hell out of the theme for every regular season and particularly every freaking playoff game. Shame on you CBC, but you deserve the egg on you collective faces.

Guest Low Roller

CBC wants to die. It's the only reason I can think that would justify their idiocy of handing over the single most recognized tune on Canadian TV to their chief rival.

Guest Low Roller

CTV swept in on this deal! CBC announced on Friday that they wouldn't make a deal, and then by Monday afternoon CTV makes this announcement.

Someone better get fired at CBC over this gaffe.

Here's the key part:

CTV Inc. has acquired all rights to 'The Hockey Theme' in perpetuity, preserving the song's legacy and ensuring it will be heard on national television for years to come.

This ain't a license that will need to be renewed in a few years, this was an acquisition.

oh damn, you just got 'purpled' man.

my money is on a bunch of dink accountants sitting in a room for CBC trying to cut the budget, most of them not having watched a single hockey game in their nerdy-assed lives.

prepare for backlash, CBC. You've screwed the pooch this time!

For what was negotiated, there would have been backlash from the public for spending $3million on a "song"! The CBC was going to lose either way. Shit, people complain that CBC even covers sports! Most complaints come in when friggin' Coronation Street gets preempted. I hate to see the song go, but at least it will still be used in hockey broadcasts somewhere, and it will take a long time before people will separate the song from CBC in their heads.