Jambands.ca

July 5th - Widespread Panic **OFFICIAL TORONTO THREAD**

Jay Funk Dawg

Age old argument Jay. What's in it for the fans to buy tickets early? If it is well known that the show will not sell out - absolutely nothing. If the promoters really wanted to get people on board early, they would do what festys do - sell early bird tickets for cheaper. Why don't they do that? $$$$. So they gotta pick their poison - either sell tickets early for cheaper, or wait until the show not knowing if they are going to make any money.

It's not OUR responsibility to make money for promoters by buying tickets early and "pledging" our support. The market dictates whether a show will be well supported or not.

In fairness, I think what Jay was saying is that it seems like these shows are generally well supported but not until the last minute. He's giving us the heads up/option and saying look - LiveNation doesn't like risks and so if you want these shows to happen then make it less risky and get off your lazy hippy asses and buy a ticket, especially if you know you're going.

Nothing wrong with that. I'll do everything I can to make them want to bring the acts here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, i didn't want to take the "risk" of a weekend show in the summer relatively close to the US border being a possible big draw and getting shut out. I bought my 2 tix at Rotate This (and saved around $10 per ticket avoiding the "convenience" of TicketBastard ).

Not many other tix that I bought in advance this summer (Phil Lesh, Rush, Clapton, WSP). The other shows I'll be hitting will be free (Buffalo and Niagara) or purchasing tix at the door.

Well put Basher. I agree with you entirely. What IS in it for the fans who shell out their cash months ahead of time? They need to do more early-bird ticket deals.

The flip is whats in it for the band/promoter? Why bother with Toronto if they can't gage interest based on pre-sales. Can't be sure whether they should change venues. Whether they'll turn a profit etc. etc.

Toronto is a fickle market.

I'm happy as a pig in shit that WSP is finally back here after 11 years.

And lets be honest - even if they went the "early-bird" route, it'd take about all of 5 seconds before it turned into you having to buy the "early-birds" to get what we consider the regular price.

Plus, the bands have a big say in the ticket prices. Or at least Panic does in theres, and thats why its so damn low compared to most of whats going on out there.

I think everyone has a fair point. Live Nation however is the largest concert promoter in Toronto - they are the big guns who decide what concerts happen at Molson Amphitheatre, Kool Haus as well as Sound Academy, Opera House, Massey Hall etc...

When interest seems low after putting tickets on sale for a couple of weeks - Live Nation can decide to cancel the show if they feel it will not perform to expectations. As a Widespread Fan I would hate for the show to get canceled if the interest was there - but the audience/fans just hadn't bought tickets until the last minute.

I think the poor performance of Phil Lesh and Friends a couple years back at Molson Amphitheatre cause House of Blues (now Live Nation) to reconsider that type of programming.

To set the record straight - I am not the promoter on this show - I am however a promotional partner helping to show that there is a market for this music in Toronto. This market doesn't respond to the promotion that Live Nation normally does - i.e. ads in the newspaper and adds on q107 etc...

So I am helping bring street and web marketing to the table.

I thought about a WSP Canada Day. Sure as hell should have done it too:

Set 1 - Proving Ground > Driving Song > Can't Find My Way Home > Driving Song > Proving Ground > Action Man, From The Cradle > Proving Ground > Genesis > Jam > All Time Low