Jambands.ca

Weird Doggie Behaviour. Help wanted.

Ms.Huxtable

So anyone that's been to our house knows that we have the world's most perfect dog. (If I do say so myself). ;) She's completely obdient and loves being outside as much as any other dog. She comes when she's called and follows me around like a shadow obeying my every word.

Anyway.... we have just moved into a new place. This place is surrounded by trees and has a pond with tadpoles that she loves to watch and chase. For the first few days it seemed that Abbey loved it there as much as we do. But a few days ago some very strange and quite frankly, annoying behaviour started happening.

Abbey is absolutely terrified to go outside for her last pee of the night. She wont come when she's caled, she'll hide in her bed. We literally have to pick her up and place her outside. When she's outside she just freezes, she won't move around, let alone pee. So we've had to put her on a leash and take her for a walk around the block. (Which isn't terrible but it might be a pain in the winter when I'm in my PJs at 10:30 at night.)

Even this morning, she didn't want to go outside. When I called her for her pee pee time, she scurried down to the basement. I had to carry her outside, where she promptly did her business and came back in the house.

So my dear Skanks, what is up with my dog and how can I begin to correct the situation? I've never seen her scared or stubborn before and she's both now but only when it comes to going outside.

What would Cesar Millan do?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet on raccoons, they are vicious little beasts and would have no problem harassing and fighting / hurting another animal.

is abbey vaccinated against leptospirosis? raccoons can carry that disease in this area and it's quite harmful to dogs.

This is strange because she was loving every minute of it when I was there.

Maybe she misses me or she doesnt like other fish in her pond!!You did put goldfish there and thats where i saw her enjoying her time.

Seriously I think she got frightened by something os was stung by a bee.

A big change for a dog to move too.

Hopefully it will pass soon

Good luck with dealing with it!

There were raccoons out one night last week and they all yelled at each other. I think that affected her. That doesn't explain the morning fear, or why in the afternoon she has no problems out there. Perhaps their are noises that she hears that we don't which raccoons are making.

i would just stay beside her and soothe her, and keep her on her leash. actually, the leash may make her feel safer and more connected to you. she clearly was freaked out by something. but that's not entirely a bad thing. after numerous skunkings with gala, we finally got smart and edgar's last pee is always on a leash so he doesn't go running off into a dark corner and get sprayed. it's actually not a bad habit to keep her close after dark.

I was just reading other forums and lots of people have this problem it seems. Mike saw a snake in our yard on Sunday. Maybe Abbey did as well, who knows, but something certainly freaked her out.

Mike bought a really strong flood/flashlight and so we've been illuminating the area for her (we have the outside lights on as well), plus we do stand out with her for reassurance, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't mind walking my dog, but the last pee of the night is not my preferred time especially when it gets cold and we have a backyard. I want to correct this behaviour now.

maybe get Mike to pee around the yard to mark his territory and then the raccoons may not come around as much.

I did read this in a gardening book.

It's true. For a while, I was contracted to pee (and sometimes deficate) in peoples yards to keep away pests and that info was leaked to the author of the gardening book.

honestly, i think she'll get used to it. she's getting used to all the newness. i really think for her night pee, taking her on the leash out the back door and into the yard (not carrying her) for a week and she'll be comfortable out there again.

maybe get Mike to pee around the yard to mark his territory and then the raccoons may not come around as much.

I did read this in a gardening book.

It's true. For a while' date=' I was contracted to pee (and sometimes deficate) in peoples yards to keep away pests and that info was [i']leaked to the author of the gardening book.

Did you claim the beer and seven-layer burritos as a business deducation on your taxes?

Aloha,

Brad

someone posted awhile ago that it was a good idea to play with the dog when a scary thing is going on (the post was about thunder). maybe playing with her at that time outside might help too?

good luck!

otherwise, having all your friends over for a pool party would probably cheer her up. ;)

Guest Low Roller

Kill the raccoons and snake in plain view of the dog. Not only will the dog see the 'scary thing' be eliminated (the more vicious the method, the better), it will strengthen the master/servant bond with the dog. He will owe you a debt of gratitude and be even more obedient...