Jambands.ca

Quitting Smoking Tips?

LJFH

Ok you non-smoking previous smokers. Gimme the dirt. I'm 3 days in and counting and REALLY want to do it this time. If you've got any tricks that helped you beat the habit please share them. I'm tired of being stinky and out of breath all the time.

*DB, please insert stinky and out of breath joke here

hehe.

I tried everything but the only thing that has been able to make it stick for me (Oct 06) is an ongoing bet which will cost me Leaf Tickets and a very expensive steak dinner for two others if I light up.

Make your next cigerette one that costs $500!

That and don't stop going outside with the smokers. Often time it's necessary to still associate. Don't be afraid to express your need to still want to smoke. I still say all the time "Fuck I would love one of those right now" but then follow it with "but I quit so don't give me one" or "I'll lose a $500 bet". If the person is still willing to give you one, run. Fast and far.

haven't we coached you before? ;)

stay away from smokers...even your friends.

get drunk one or two nights with NON smokers. there won't be any smokes handy for you to even bum.

get through 3 days (done) be proud. get through a week. be proud. then get through another week....then a month. by this time you should never have to smoke again. if you do, you'll become a smoker again and have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.

I quit at the same time as my wife; having someone else going through it with you can help a lot. Avoid your smoking friends for awhile, especially when drinking. In fact, it's best to lay off the booze for awhile as it increases the cravings and weakens the resolve. Anytime you feel like a smoke, remind yourself that a single cigarette will undo the effort you've put in so far and knock you back to square one. Quitting smoking sucks, but after awhile you'll stop envying smokers and start pitying them. It took me about three months to feel completely free, but the worst of it was over in about three weeks.

hey jodie, get hold of "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. This very small book changed my life and helped me become a happy non smoker. Carr advocates admitting to yourself that you are addicted to smoking, and that you can either continue to feed your addiction or you can break free of it.

That's really the key. You are not "giving something up," you are breaking free of an addiction that is making you unhealthy and smelly and shortening your life expectancy.

Carr was recently diagnosed with cancer at the age of 76. When asked he said that he developed his method and quit smoking around the age of 50, and that the last 20 odd years of his life have been the best, and more to the point he probably would not have had any of them had he not quit.

good luck, and remember you're breaking free of an addiction.

Hang in there ... you can do it. Anyone who tempts you with a smoke knowing you've made the decision to stop is an asshole.

when i quit, a guy at work kept offering me smokes in front of everyone else at break. finally one day i took one. he handed it to me with his lighter. i snapped the cigarette in half, pocketed his lighter and handed the smoke back to him. that ended that :)

when i quit, a guy at work kept offering me smokes in front of everyone else at break. finally one day i took one. he handed it to me with his lighter. i snapped the cigarette in half, pocketed his lighter and handed the smoke back to him. that ended that :)

Well played! That guy is a douchenozzle :P

I can't believe that i actually have 2 friends, who shall remain nameless, that have STARTED smoking at 33 years old.

You know who you are boys...WTF!!! I mean seriously, WHATTHEFUCK!!!!!

They're both members of this board so let them have it people.

it's not Hux is it?

• 4 years later...
haven't we coached you before? ;)

stay away from smokers...even your friends.

get drunk one or two nights with NON smokers. there won't be any smokes handy for you to even bum.

get through 3 days (done) be proud. get through a week. be proud. then get through another week....then a month. by this time you should never have to smoke again. if you do, you'll become a smoker again and have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.

Sound advice, you gotta admit