Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

My initial reaction is that this is a good move. Better than all the other choices that were being touted out there. I never considered him based on the fact that he already had a contract with the Panthers in place.

Well, there goes that warm-fuzzy-glow I had been experiencing earlier.

CKAC's Martin McGuire, the French-radio play-by-play broadcaster who is very well plugged in, is reporting that Mario Tremblay will be an assistant coach, with Jacques Lemaire a strong possibility as a special advisor.

WTF is really going on?

Well, there goes that warm-fuzzy-glow I had been experiencing earlier.
CKAC's Martin McGuire, the French-radio play-by-play broadcaster who is very well plugged in, is reporting that Mario Tremblay will be an assistant coach, with Jacques Lemaire a strong possibility as a special advisor.

WTF is really going on?

FUCK!!!! I should never have brought up his name today!!!!

Guest Low Roller

I feel a certain letdown as well now.

Tremblay? REALLY? So much for Roy coming back to the fold.

So goodbye to Muller, Jarvis, and Lever then?

At least he has some experience. I fouind this interesting...

It also marks the first time since 1992-93 that the Canadiens have formally hired a coach with NHL experience. The team hired former Blues and Red Wings coach Jacques Demers that season, and have since hired first-timers Mario Tremblay, Alain Vigneault, Michel Therrien, Claude Julien and Guy Carbonneau

That's why I didnt want them to hire Roy.

It would have been another case of 'those deemed not to learn from history will often repeat it'.

The Habs constantly put themselves behind the eight-ball because they only want to hire a French coach.

Guest Low Roller

MrBigTime called Roland Melanson being ousted a couple of weeks ago.

free-psychic-chat-rooms.jpg

Apparently Martin is saying he's going to sit down with the current assistants before he makes a decision on them, so there is still hope about no-Tremblay.

Rollie The Goalie

Out as goaltending coach. I can deal with that move.

Sorry to get off topic, but I was thinking about something the other day. Why do teams hire mediocre players to be coach's for specialty positions, like goaltending, or pitching, or probably even quarter-backing? Imagine your Cary Price a can't miss prospect coming into the league and Rollie the Goalie Alan Bester is there to show you what he did to be successful?

Rollie The Goalie

Out as goaltending coach. I can deal with that move.

Sorry to get off topic' date=' but I was thinking about something the other day. Why do teams hire mediocre players to be coach's for specialty positions, like goaltending, or pitching, or probably even quarter-backing? Imagine your [strike']Cary Price a can't miss prospect coming into the league and Rollie the Goalie Alan Bester is there to show you what he did to be successful?

"Do as I say not as I did..."

MICHAEL YORMARK

--- (on Martin’s departure) The Canadiens contacted Alan about 10 days ago to ask for permission to speak to Jacques. Alan spoke to Jacques about whether or not he would want to speak to the Canadiens about their head coaching job position.

I think as we can all imagine, for a French Canadian growing up in Canada, I’m sure it’s almost every young kid’s dream to coach the Canadiens or play for the Canadiens. Clearly, Jacques was interested. Those conversations took place last week and we were notified last night that Jacques had decided to take the position.

We are sorry to see Jacques leave. He put in five great years here with the Panthers, but we are turning the page and we are going to move forward. Bill Torrey has been asked to lead the search for our new general manager. He’ll report directly to Alan.

Bill will be responsible for leading the search, identifying the candidates and taking us through the interview process. He will also be working closely with Randy Sexton and Pete [DeBoer] as well as Scott Luce to make sure we are prepared for the NHL draft and the beginning of free agent signing period. Randy Sexton will be the point person on all hockey operations matters.

--- (Are the Panthers owed compensation by the Canadiens for Martin?) The bylaws of the National Hockey League indicate there is no compensation for a transaction like this. The Canadiens asked for permission to talk to Jacques. We talked to Jacques. We granted that permission. And that was the terms of the deal. …Is it the ideal situation? No. But there was a window of opportunity the Canadiens needed to act on their head coaching position. And we felt this was something we had to let Jacques pursue, that it was something he was passionate about.