Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

The Habs' season is mercifully over after being swept by the Bruins in the first round. Last year's regular season conference champions were unrecognizable as they struggled to clinch a playoff spot. It was supposed to be a glorious season, but as the Old Testament proverb goes "the higher you go, the harder you fall". And the Habs fell hard.

Because I have been bracing for this moment for several weeks I have managed to surprisingly power my way through the Kübler-Ross model of coping with sudden loss. However now that I think about it, I started mourning the Habs season much MUCH earlier than after tonight's official elimination.

Stage 1- denial occurred somewhere in February when I refused to believe that the Habs losing streak was anything more than that- a streak. Surely given the hype and the promise of the upcoming season our talented youngsters and grizzled veterans would find a way to get everyone on the same page. However somewhere around March I rescinded my perception of the team and admitted that the Habs have inexplicably begun to suck moving me into Stage 2- anger. Those fucking Habs were tanking and I was pissed off at the lack of desire, lack of effort, and total lack of mental discipline. Sure there were injuries, but we had depth, we had prospects, we had supposed talent! Where the fuck was all this??? When Carbonneau was fired, rightfully or not, I moved to Stage 3- Bargaining. With Bob Gainey behind the bench he was going to steer the ship right, right? I mean it's Bob f'n Gainey, start planning the parade! Then by early April it became obvious that Bob Gainey didn't change shit. Alex Kovalev went on a vacation, Carey Price should have gone on a vacation to get his head on straight, everything was collapsing, and we were fighting for our playoff lives. Cue Stage 4- Depression. Was it ever demoralizing watching this team play by the end. Total lack of confidence and displaying fragility in every facet of the game. One bad penalty and the team would fold. The four games against Boston were mere formalities as Boston showed amazing discipline, blazing speed, and a suffocating defense against a team that was riddled with injuries. It's now about 3 hours since the Habs were officially eliminated and I sit here at Stage 5- Acceptance. The Centennial season was a disaster. Now all that's left to do is wait for the finger-pointing to begin as clearly something spooked this team back in February and they never recovered. What was it? Additionally the summer months will answer the question as to which UFAs will return, and which will sign elsewhere? Will Vinny make his way to Montreal? Will Komo undergo the speculated surgery he's needed since his early return from injury earlier in the season? It's easy to speculate, but I will refrain from such pointless drivel. I want to instead look back at the season, and try to find the diamonds in the rough of a disappointing season. Go Habs Go forever.

Dandenault FInishes Shift Despite Broken Arm

0dandy3.jpg

Displaying gigantic balls and dedication to the team, Mathieu Dandenault finished his shift after breaking his arm in three places against the Flames in December. Not only did he finish his shift, but he took a couple of cross-checks to the back of the head from a Calgary goon and managed to play the puck with one arm to help clear the zone. These heroics should not be forgotten. Will Dandy be back with the team next year? If Carbo was in charge then it would be a no-brainer answer: no. But perhaps Gainey saw something in him during the playoffs that will make him re-think this evaluation. At a reasonable price I think that Dandy has earned his spot on the team, but when Dandy was leaving the ice today after the game, CBC cameras were filming when he paused before he got off the ice, looked up to the crowd with a tear in his eye as if knowing that his days as a Hab have come to an end.

Halak Faces 167 Shots in 4 Games, Saves Season

jaroslav-halak-montreal-canadiens-habs1.jpg

It's pretty obvious that Jaroslav Halak will forever be back-up to Carey Price no matter what he does. But if you had to look back at this current season for goaltender heroics, look no further than the four game win streak that Halak single-handedly delivered by facing 167 shots in four games to essentially save the season for the Habs. If not for this streak it can be strongly argued that the Habs would not have even made the playoffs. But in a mirror-image of what happened in 2006-2007 when he took over for an injured Huet and dragged the Habs to within one point of the playoffs, he once again surrendered the starting position when Price returned from injury, only to watch Price struggle with his confidence and meltdown repeatedly. It's clear that Halak's future won't be with the Habs, but only time will tell how much longer he'll sit idle behind the bench while Gainey puts all his confidence in the young Price.

Andrei Markov, MVP

markov_man.jpg

Listen, is there any doubt left how great a defenseman Andrei Markov is? He plays in all situations, he led the team in points when he went down with an injury, and his team was completely helpless without him sweeping the backfield. During the dark times of this past season Markov was probably the only constant and one is left wondering how the playoffs would have played out if that little punk Grabovski hadn't boarded Markov.

Maxim Lapierre, Most Improved Player

012909lapierre.jpg

Probably the most pleasant surprise of the season was the improvement in Lapierre's game. It looks quite likely that we've got ourselves a steady 3rd line center for years to come as this homeboy had a breakout year. The top shut-down line he formed with Latendresse and Kostopoulos was one of our better lines all season long, keeping the opposition's top lines in check, and hopefully we get to see them again next year.

Guest Low Roller

The injury reports are starting to trickle in:

- Alex Tanguay needs surgery to repair a torn muscle in his shoulder

- George Laraque has two herniated discs in his back

- Francis Bouillon has a torn groin muscle that he aggravated in Game 2.

- Mathieu Schneider had two bum shoulders and will require surgery on one of them.

- Guillaume Latendresse also played with a bad shoulder.

- Mike Komisarek played the majority of the season with a shoulder which never recovered from injury. Surgery is unlikely however.

Edited by Low Roller

The injury reports are starting to trickle in:

- Alex Tanguay needs surgery to repair a torn muscle in his shoulder

- George Laraque has two herniated discs in his back

- Francis Bouillon has a torn groin muscle that he aggravated in Game 2.

- Booche's head exploded at 9:45 pm last night. Surgery is expected to take place sometime today.

Thank God the pain is over.

All you dumbass Sens fans: no matter what you say or post, playing 2 home games in the playoffs, win or lose, makes a barrel of money for the organization and is infinitely better than missing the playoffs.

Edited by Guest