Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Here's Russian prospect Alexei Emelin (rumoured to be signing with the Habs soon) getting dummied by Russian giant Alex Svitov during the KHL playoffs:

yemelin_0.jpg

Busted orbital bone, busted nose, a whole lot uglier.

Or maybe they overachieved because he was a great coach?

I dont really feel that way, it just had to be said. Time is going to tell in MTL but I like the move to experience, as previously stated. I just wish they would drop the whole 'French hires only' shit. Fuck that drives me batty.

Here's a transcript of the conversation Bob and Jacques had last week.

Bob Gainey: Jacques, I want to thank you for coming in for this interview. Do you have any other commitments on your time today? As you can imagine, the interview process can be quite daunting for a job as prestigious as this one.

Jacques Martin: No problem, I'm willing to spend all day here if I need to.

Gainey: OK, great. First question: do you speak French?

Martin: Yes I do.

Gainey: Great. You're hired!

Martin: ... Um, sorry?

Gainey: You're hired. You nailed pretty much every qualification we have.

Martin: Oh.

Gainey: Is there a problem?

Martin: I just thought we were going to spend some time talking about my experience.

Gainey: Oh. Well, sure, I suppose we could do that. If you really want to.

Martin: Well, my coaching career began with the Blues. Then I spent nine years as the coach of the Ottawa Senators. And for the past five years I've been with the Florida Panthers.

Gainey: I don't remember you coaching the Blues.

Martin: Nobody does.

Gainey: OK, so let's skip that part and move on to Ottawa.

Martin: Well, with the Senators I was best known for accomplishing something that virtually no other active NHL coach has managed to do.

Gainey: Which was?

Martin: Losing to the Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs.

Gainey (nodding): Yeah, I think we all saw that one coming.

Martin: We lost to them four times, but the toughest one was in 2004. We made it to game seven, but then Patrick Lalime had an epic meltdown. We really believed that he was the guy who could backstop our team to a championship, but then he just imploded.

Gainey: So you're saying you have experience dealing with over-hyped goalies who choke in the playoffs?

Martin: Extensive experience.

Gainey: (Makes a big checkmark on his notepad)

Martin: Yeah.

Gainey: And what about your playoff experience since 2004?

Martin: You heard the part where I said I worked for the Florida Panthers, right?

Gainey: Sorry. My mistake. What about in St. Louis, what was your playoff record like there?

Martin: No idea. Like I said, nobody remembers me coaching the Blues.

Gainey: Fair enough. As you know, the media here in Montreal can be difficult. What sort of experience do you have dealing with the media?

Martin: Well, in Ottawa they were very difficult to deal with. They were constantly asking me for autographs, bringing me coffee, or just offering me random hugs and back rubs. But they could be nasty, too. Sometimes, when we choked in the playoffs against a team we should have easily beaten, somebody would actually write a negative article. They'd always apologize the next day and print a retraction, but still, it was pretty rough.

Gainey: And what about dealing with all the hockey media in Florida, was that difficult?

Martin: (Laughs)

Gainey: (Laughs)

Martin: So anyways, I'm sure I could handle the Montreal media. I have a well-tested strategy for working with the press.

Gainey: Which is?

Martin: I'm so incredibly boring that they all quit after fifteen minutes of listening to me.

Gainey: Well Jacques, I think you're our man. Do you have any questions for me?

Martin: Just one: Any update on the ownership situation?

Gainey: We're expecting an announcement soon, but I can't really say more than that.

Martin: Understood.

Gainey: You like Celine Dion music, right?

Martin: Uuuuum........

Badams is simply getting his defenses up because he knows Kirk is going to be on the outs soon.

As long as he still invites me to his summer parties I don't care where he works :)

Plus he did his part for me in 1993... I doubt I will ever get that close to the Cup again.

Oh by the way... you should see his two oldest daughters... WOW!!! If only I were 19 again. lol

How do you spell relief?

M-O-L-S-O-N

Cross your fingers, cross your toes and pray to whichever deity floats your ark that Geoffrey Molson his brothers and their unidentified partners (likely including BCE) make a successful bid for the Canadiens and George Gillett's other Montreal holdings, including the Bell Centre.

If Molson wins, Quebecor loses. And this would be good.

Because if Quebecor wins:

• RDS loses, because the new owner will move Canadiens hockey to its TVA Sports channel

• All the great La Presse beat guys and columnists lose, because Quebecor's Journal de Montréal will get plum access

• The team will lose because the Canadiens will become just a cog in a huge, multimedia mess – albeit a cog that Quebecor boss Pierre Karl Péladeau (pictured) will fuss over, micromanage and screw up

• The fans will lose, because down the road Quebecor will figure out a way to put Canadiens hockey on some sort of pay-per-view channel.

Bids closed yesterday, and it's game on.

And if it looks like the deal is going Molson's way, expect Péladeau to wrap himself in the fleur-de-lys and start whining about how important it is for a great icon of our patrimony to be owned by a "real Quebecer" – wink-wink, nudge-nudge ... and screw the Molson family's long history in Montreal.

Holy fuck, it's slow around these parts. This is all I got:

June 17, 2009

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper

Office of the Prime Minister

Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

Blood on the ice is fine when it comes to Canada?s national sport because players are willing participants, but the blood of helpless baby seals that stains the ice each year is Canada?s shame. I?m writing to you on behalf of my friends at PETA and its more than 2 million members and supporters around the world dedicated to the protection of animals. With the world?s attention focused on the 2010 Winter Olympics, Canada has an opportunity to show the world its best features, including its breathtaking natural beauty, its bustling cities, and its rich culture. However, the one thing about Canada that I?m not proud of is the annual seal slaughter. Won?t you please consider ending this tragic war on seals?

Every year, sealers kill hundreds of thousands of baby seals, and every year, our country hears the international outcry against this barbaric slaughter. Surely you would agree that there is something terribly wrong with shooting baby seals or crushing their skulls and skinning the defenceless pups for the sake of ?fashion.? Hooking is illegal in the National Hockey League, but sealers routinely hook live seals in the eye or cheek to avoid damaging their fur. Not only is the unimaginable pain and suffering endured by these seals tragic, it is also completely unnecessary. Sealing is primarily an off-season profit venture for commercial fishers, not a subsistence trade for native peoples. Inuit seal hunting accounts for only about 3 percent of the slaughter.

The international outcry against the slaughter is loud and clear. The U.S. banned all seal imports in 1972, the European Union recently passed a ban on the importation of seal products to member countries, the U.S. senate unanimously passed a resolution urging Canada to end the slaughter, Russia recently ended its slaughter of seals under 1 year of age, and even Vladimir Putin, who has been known to hunt bears, has condemned the seal slaughter as a ?bloody business? that should have ended years ago. Please count me among the majority of Canadians who oppose the seal slaughter and are hoping for a permanent ban on this, the largest and most barbaric massacre of marine mammals on Earth.

Thank you for recognizing the urgency of this issue.

Sincerely,

Georges Laraque