Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

Moderator, please make a "Make Shit Up" forum for Booche.

Another team for Toronto is a good idea though.

Reports of second NHL team in Toronto 'nonsense'

NHL executive says idea has never been considered

Oct 21, 2008 12:14 PM

Kevin McGran

SPORTS REPORTER

It sounds as if reports that the NHL is considering placing a second team in Toronto are more fantasy than reality.

"The story is nonsense," one highly placed NHL source told the Star. "Perhaps the musings of one team representative. Expansion to Toronto has never been discussed with the board, the executive committee or any other league committee.

"And its never been considered internally."

The report suggested league governors would reward Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie for his aid in propping up the Nashville Predators.

In return for helping keep the Preds in Nashville while one of the team's owners, James (Boots) Del Biaggio, is in bankruptcy court, the NHL would award Balsillie an expansion team for Toronto.

Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, called talk of expansion "speculative" in a statement.

It's widely believed the Leafs and Buffalo Sabres blocked Balsillie's attempt to buy the Nashville Predators last year and move them to Hamilton. But Peddie tried to sound open at least to the idea.

"If or when the National Hockey League comes to the board of governors with a recommendation on relocation or expansion of an NHL franchise, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will analyze the recommendation and provide its input at that time," said Peddie.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even find the site anymore?! Where is it?! Who's my top pick?! I hope it wasn't Lindros.

Why is it not sticky threaded?

Edit:

Nevermind... found it. Of course I foget all my sign in info... this could take a while. I'm on dial up now... still waiting for Sunday's football scores to load! :P

Edited by Guest

Well, your not at the bottom, but you've got 85.30 points and the leader has 132.05.

You actually have a fairly decent team, but not being able to edit your lines has hurt you so far - you'd definately have more points than you do now.

C Joe Sakic (Col - C)

C Mike Fisher (Ott - C)

LW Rick Nash (Cls - LW)

LW Andrew Brunette (Min - LW)

RW Daniel Alfredsson (Ott - RW)

RW Corey Perry (Anh - RW)

D Mark Streit (NYI - D)

D Mathieu Schneider (Atl - D)

D Stephane Robidas (Dal - D)

D Sami Salo (Van - D)

Util Shane Doan (Pho - RW)

G Cristobal Huet (Chi - G)

G Pascal Leclaire (Cls - G) DTD

BN Derek Armstrong (LA - C)

BN Valtteri Filppula (Det - C)

BN Jason Chimera (Cls - LW)

BN David Vyborny (Cls - RW) NA

Moderator, please make a "Make Shit Up" forum for Booche.

Another team for Toronto is a good idea though.

Reports of second NHL team in Toronto 'nonsense'

NHL executive says idea has never been considered

Oct 21, 2008 12:14 PM

Kevin McGran

SPORTS REPORTER

It sounds as if reports that the NHL is considering placing a second team in Toronto are more fantasy than reality.

"The story is nonsense," one highly placed NHL source told the Star. "Perhaps the musings of one team representative. Expansion to Toronto has never been discussed with the board, the executive committee or any other league committee.

"And its never been considered internally."

The report suggested league governors would reward Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie for his aid in propping up the Nashville Predators.

In return for helping keep the Preds in Nashville while one of the team's owners, James (Boots) Del Biaggio, is in bankruptcy court, the NHL would award Balsillie an expansion team for Toronto.

Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, called talk of expansion "speculative" in a statement.

It's widely believed the Leafs and Buffalo Sabres blocked Balsillie's attempt to buy the Nashville Predators last year and move them to Hamilton. But Peddie tried to sound open at least to the idea.

"If or when the National Hockey League comes to the board of governors with a recommendation on relocation or expansion of an NHL franchise, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will analyze the recommendation and provide its input at that time," said Peddie.

Are you serious AD

It's going to take a while for Hartsburgs system to resonate with the team.

Totally. From where I sit, I love the early stance he has taken with regards to the so-called 'comfort zone'. That's a coach.

Whether or not it works is another story. At the point it doesnt, hopefully Murray gets ballsy and I dont necessarily mean this season. He's shown he will discard players thus far.

And if I read one Ottawa reporter suggesting Alfie should go.......sparks will fly.

It's funny how the Sens were a system based team which allowed them to improve and nurture talent... then the talent pool overflowed, and they relied on it a little much, and they got a little lazy system wise... now, they have to wake-up and realize their talent is limited, and other teams have caught up, and they're going to have to focus developing a new system which suits them.

These guys have to be grinders and hitters. No doubt this is what the system is designed to achieved... but on the ice, it just seems the Sens are a step behind... if/when those pinching D ever start making contact with their targets... the ship may pick up some steam.