Jambands.ca

The Rest of the NHL - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me fucking retarded or whatever you want...

Explain to me waivers, in layman's terms.

I tried to read the CBA but christ...I only have a highschool edumication.

In the most basic terms, you can't send just anyone down to the minors. If you try to send a non-eligible player down to the minors, another team can just swoop in and take him, for which your team will receive zero compensation. Sometimes you do it as a salary dump, or as a way to get rid of unwanted players - you put a guy on waivers because no one will trade you for him in the hopes that someone will take him off your hands. This is what the Leafs did with Raycroft earlier this year.

Call me fucking retarded or whatever you want...

Explain to me waivers' date=' in layman's terms.

I tried to read the CBA but christ...I only have a highschool edumication.[/quote']

In the most basic terms, you can't send just anyone down to the minors. If you try to send a non-eligible player down to the minors, another team can just swoop in and take him, for which your team will receive zero compensation. Sometimes you do it as a salary dump, or as a way to get rid of unwanted players - you put a guy on waivers because no one will trade you for him in the hopes that someone will take him off your hands. This is what the Leafs did with Raycroft earlier this year.

So what happens to Bulin's last year on his contract?

Now that he's been put on waivers, if another team picks him up are they required to pay the last year (this year) of his salary.

If he "clears waivers" and returns to Chicago to be traded, is the last year of his contract still valid.

or, does the only reason that they use the term "waivers" because he's not eligible to be sent to the minors?. Can a team put a player on waivers so they don't have to take the cap hit?

Does that make sense? I still don't understand.

They have to take the cap hit unless another team picks him up off waivers. If he clears waivers, he can go to the minors if that's what they want to do with him, but Chicago would be on the hook for his contract. There is a time limit to how long you're on waivers for; I'm not sure how long it is but it's not that long.

So say the Sens pick him up then they'd be on the hook for the last 6 mill or whatever it is.

So "clearing waivers" means no one has picked him up in the allotted amount of time, and the original team is still on the hook for him.

So if Bulin clears waivers, he'll end up on the farm making 6 million.

So all this talk of the Sens picking him up is retarded....they can't afford him.

Ding ding ding...I've got it now....

If Khabibulin goes unclaimed Tallon could demote him to the minors and then place him on recall waivers, where a rival club could claim him and only take on half of his salary.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If there were a trade possibility for th Khabibulin I believe Tallon would've jumped on it by now. I'll be very surprised if he's plucked off waivers and demoting him may clear cap space but his $6.75 million salary is a lot of money to spend on a player riding the buses in the minors. I think Tallon knows he'll get more interest in Khabibulin if he's on recall waivers. Sure, Tallon will still be on the hook for over $3.3 million of his salary but that's better than paying the whole shot.

Guest Low Roller

Here's an interesting tidbit: The Vancouver Canucks have named Roberto Luongo team captain.

He will be unable to wear the C on his jersey because he is a goalie, but league rules do allow him to designated captain.

I'm really happy that Patrice Bergeron has recovered from that terrible concusion. With him back and having Milan Lucic maturing makes the Bruins far more competetive than they were last year. I can't fucking wait for Habs-Bruins games, although I think the Habs are the best team in the East.

Patrice_Bergeron.jpg

• 2 weeks later...