Jambands.ca

MLB Playoffs 08

Hal Johnson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not this year boys. ;)

i'm real glad price got the ball at the end as i've been sayin' all series that he should be a bigger factor for the rays - at this point, who cares about age and experience - their entire run has defied all that shit.

garza was absolutely brilliant. a shame that the error did him in to start the 8th - i really wanted to see him get the 8th under his belt, but i figure with his pitch count nearing 120 he probably had a deal with maddon that he was done as soon as someone reached base. but you really couldnt argue with the stuff he had.

just an awesome ball game overall, though - there's no dying in those sox, thats for sure.

now i hope the rays have enough gas left in the tank to stick it to the phils. its a(nother) whole new season. :)

Great game last night. Gotta hand it Boston though, they definitely put the fear of god into anyone who plays against them.

The tension last night was almost unbearable. Thank god for Kenny Vs Spenny between pitches/plays, or I dont know if I would have made it. (on that note, has anyone seen the one where Kenny sends a fake letter to Spenny telling him he's slept with someone who has the HIV? Hilarious!)

Anyway, I'd say the pitching edge goes to TB, but maybe the hitting should too. But, "that's why they play the games."

Edited by Guest

I was just gonna ask if anyone else saw that. I was getting my weekly dose of Intervention when it came on after. I didn't think I'd watch but I could not pull myself away. I found myself sympathizing with him at points but then he'd turn around and do something repulsive in the next segment.

I hope he does turn his life around but I don't know if he has the strengh of character to do it. Sad.

I agree, it is very sad.

In a way he is taking the biggest hit out of all of this. He's ruined his name amongst his peers, he's a joke in the eye of the public, and his baseball career (which wasnt half bad) is but a footnote now. He's brought to light a subject that needed to be addressed, but is not respected at all for it.

Did the show mention how he's doing financially? Not that it matters, but Im just curious.

Edited by Guest

Did the show mention how he's doing financially? Not that it matters, but Im just curious.

Not specifically but they talked about his house being foreclosed and that he's unemployed. He was also served with lawsuit papers at one point during the show. Sounds like a mess.

I wasn't sympathetic to him for being screwed by baseball or anything like that, although he probably was, but more on a human level. He comes across as a guy who just never fit in and always made the wrong choice in trying to fit in. I think we all know guys like that, they say the right things but with zero sincerity.

The only thing I saw going for him was his 11 year old daughter who seemed wise behind her years, beyond his too.

Back on topic,

Do you think the national sports media will ever stop referring to the Rays as a "surprise" team? Cripes, they've only had the #1 pick like 11 years in a row.

I agree, they just never put a solid year together until now. They remind me of Cincinnati in Football. They drafted high for years and almost got there. However they tanked... unlike the Rays.

Well, well, well, seems Philly is more up to the challenge than people were giving them credit for.

Must admit, when they got home for game 3 I switched allegiances. The city of Philly desreves it more than Tampa. the poor bastards live for sports and they're teams never quite do it. Good on 'em, I say! Cant wait to watch Hamels again tonight...

they just said on sportsnet that the rays checked out of their hotel earlier today because they were flying home after the game - now they can't get back into the hotel because most of downtown is sold out. so it might be a while before they have a place to stay tonight. crazy.

Did you hear anything more about that, AD?

What a weird change of events, huh? They're saying now that the weather is supposed to be even worse today and they're calling for snow tomorrow.

It will be so bizarre to see the game start at the bottom of the 6th inning whenever they decide to do it. They cant plan it as a double header either cuz the series is supposed to go back to Tampa if the Rays win.

Its the World Series. A lot of companies probably overpaid some good money for those commercial spots.

Speaking of the broadcast itself, whats up with the two different broadcasts? One is slightly ahead of the other and has little or no graphics and less commercials. I still havent figured out whose putting it on.