Jambands.ca

Kale and Beets

Ms.Huxtable

the beets were coated with honey, oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. roasted in foil for about 1/2 hour at 400 but I forgot about them so only one side got a good caramel going.

Blueberry balsamic?

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp (frozen) blueberries

1 tbsp balsamic

1 tbsp olive oil

(pinch) salt to taste

Use whatever you have to blend this together. in those quantities, my blender doesn't pick everything up, but the food processor does a better job. I need to make triple that amount for the blades to really pick it all up and put it together. It keeps well, so might as well make more.

• 2 months later...

I got a mandoline for xmas and have been busy slicing everything I can think to slice. Last night I made a roasted beet carpaccio with panko-breaded feta cheese:

012%20-%20Copy.JPG

Roast beets in foil, then cool, peel and slice.

Dip feta in flour, then beaten egg, then panko bread crumbs and fry in very hot oil for a minute or two on each side.

Add a little red onion and dress salad with a simple dressing. Yum.

From the famous Vij's restaurant in Vancouver:

Vij's Curried Chicken Liver Pate

This was one of our most popular appetizers at Vij's, and is included in our cookbook. I don't recommend that you try this recipe after a long day at work. Wait until the weekend and open a bottle of Riesling to go with it.

The kale smoothens out flavours of the livers and the Indian spices. Although you can't taste it, you must add it. One bunch of kale normally has seven to eight stalks. Take about three large stalks and tear off the kale leaves. It doesn't matter if you're slightly off.

Asafetida and garam masala add a depth of flavour. If you have neither, you can skip the asafetida and use ground cumin in place of the garam masala.

1/2 cup canola oil

1/2 teaspoon asafetida

1 medium to large red onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon garam masala or ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds

1/2 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup pureed tomatoes (two large)

1 lb chicken livers, washed

1 1/2 ounces kale leaves, washed and finely chopped

3 tablespoons dry white wine

1 box sturdy crackers for serving

Heat oil in a medium pot on high heat for 1 minute. Add asafetida and cook for 10 seconds. Add onions, reduce the heat to medium and saute for 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Add garam masala, fenugreek, cayenne, turmeric and salt. Stir well and add tomatoes. Saute for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the oil glistens on top.

Stir in chicken livers and kale leaves, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly but gently. Once chicken livers harden a bit and stop bleeding during the cooking process, they are cooked. Remove from the stove and cool for 45 minutes.

In a food processor, combine the chicken liver mixture and the white wine. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a stainless steel or glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Serve with crackers.

the beets were coated with honey, oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. roasted in foil for about 1/2 hour at 400 but I forgot about them so only one side got a good caramel going.

We roasted some beets last weekend and all the recipes I found said to peel the beets to avoid a bitter taste. They didn't taste bitter to me and it seemed to remove the skin either before or after cooking.

So, did you peel the skin off at any point?

• 3 weeks later...

my loverly wife makes this awesome kale w/ noodles. its so simple even i made it the other night while she was lazing on the couch.

i was going to halfass it but i went n got the book for the proper recipe

1 large bunch kale (1 to 1.5 lbs)rinsed

8 ounces noodles (your choice, but a spagetti type works well)

1.5 to 2 tsp toasted sesame oil

1.5 to 2 tsp tamari or shoyu or soy sauce

1.5 tbsp toasted sesame seeds(just chuck em in a pan while the noodles boil)

get a pot of water boiling, then slice the kale as fine as you can after discarding the larger stems.when water is boiling, drop in your noodles and cook them for 5 mins LESS than the pack says. Add the kale in a few batches, making sure it all gets submerged. continue cooking uncovered for the last 5 mins to finish up the noodles, keep on pressing on the kale if it floats to the top.

drain the pasta and kale in a colander. Return the kale n pasta to the pot, and toss in the tamari and sesame oil to taste. (i always use more than the recipe calls for.) with a fork separate any bunches of kale that are sticking together, toss in sesame seeds. it says you can serve hot or cool, but i like it hot.

we throw some chopped tomatos on top. this recipe only takes 10 mins and its tasty.

cheers